Upgrade or new computer???

M

mp3streetparty

Audioholic Intern
A speedup no hardware needed. You said Java 6 min for games.

I would start with the Java environment remove all versions from control panel / add remove programs .
Get SDK flavor of java from here Java SE Downloads
See how that goes for the Games, P.M. me for details of problems with java retail flavor.

I would do a fresh install after backing up critical files, I have had the boot time up to 6-7 mins on a PC reduced to 1.5 mins. However it may take you some time to get the system back to normal eg drivers.

Another option
Add more Ram buy brand new from China Ebay etc cheap.

Another option
Replace Hdd with a 7200 rpm one, will make programs load faster.

If you did do an upgrade package is it possible for you to do the hardware shuffle. eg you use the new upgraded pc and hand down your old one changing a few bits like video card.

Another option is buy a S/H PC with better specs and transfer all the data and maybe the video card.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the deadline has arrived...what did you get him? :)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Two women for a 13th birthday?! :eek: Best...dad...ever. :D
I was more thinking of the "Colossus" computer that allied forces used to interpret the enigma code during WWII

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like the deadline has arrived...what did you get him? :)
This Dell that I listed...locally it was the best deal and can be upgraded. It's replacing a Dell that has worked very well for years and I decided that a 13 year old boy isn't set in his ways so Windows 8 shouldn't be much of a learning curve....and my wife likes it.:)

Thanks to everybody for your input!

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
This Dell that I listed...locally it was the best deal and can be upgraded. It's replacing a Dell that has worked very well for years and I decided that a 13 year old boy isn't set in his ways so Windows 8 shouldn't be much of a learning curve....and my wife likes it.:)

Good choice!, good luck :p

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

Did you at least get the up-graded power cord?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
He likes it a lot Adam. He spent that night just flipping through it not really doing much.:) Minecraft can be run on the highest settings and the frame rate pretty much doubled. He used to run most of the settings on the lowest setting.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
He likes it a lot Adam. He spent that night just flipping through it not really doing much.:) Minecraft can be run on the highest settings and the frame rate pretty much doubled. He used to run most of the settings on the lowest setting.
You will not see your son so much now, he will be very busy :D

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Apple Mac hasn't failed me yet? Maybe you should add that to the lost.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I say get it. Mine is a 14" screen with an HDMI out feeding a 23" monitor. I guess it's a desktop replacement but I like the smaller form factor for when I do use it as a portable laptop. Why would you be concerned about the processor? Surely it exceeds the capabilities of your former laptop.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My main reservation would be the screen resolution. My MB Air's 11.6" screen has the same resolution as that 15.6" screen. I'd say just make sure that fits your wants/needs.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't read through the thread, but I will almost always take a new computer rather than upgrade an old. I use a MacBook Pro at home which is overpriced, but does work well.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis