ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Have;
12X20 room (tv center of a 12' wall)
HK - AVR 245
Bookshelf speakers in the corners (Bose & Behringer)
Center and sides - Bose
Energy 8.3 sub

Want;
1. I want true 7.1 sound
2. 'Deeper bass'
3. Future upgrade ability

1. I would like to be able to utilize the new sound formats (dts-hd and dolby tru-hd) Recently started looking into Dolby Volume, worthwhile?
I looked at the emotiva processor. Cool but I don't know if it is worth while for me.

2. I am quite happy with the subwoofer that I have, it has tons of sound. What I would like is something that has lower frequency, I think (I want the 't-rex' glass vibrating thing :D)

3. Right now I do not own a 3d tv but would like to get there before too long.

I also want to use the system for my pc(music mostly). I have hdmi, component, optical and 2 rca connectors running from the pc to the avr.
I like the idea of towers for music but do not know if it would be worthwhile in my limited space, I use the system to listen upstairs when in the kitchen :D)
Budget - negotiable. This is my hobby and therefore is supposed to cost money. Higher budget just means that I will have to take more time to get there.

Thanks for any suggestions!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It more or less seems like you are at a point where you will dump the entire system in favor of an upgrade.

Unfortunately, it depends on what you consider most important overall.

Looking at your receiver...
http://phareth.slackwise.net/Images/Harmon Kardon Receiver/harman-kardon-avr245-back.jpg

It seems like it has some decent enough connections on it, which means that your biggest upgrade to the system likely will come in the form of better speakers for your room.

Then it's all about budget and what strikes your interest for size and/or budget.

Throw a set of these in as your mains...
United States - Showroom - Q900

These in for surrounds...
United States - Showroom - Q800ds

a good center...
United States - Showroom - Q600c

and a solid subwoofer...
Velodyne Hgs 15X | Subwoofers | AudiogoN

You won't be thinking of a speaker upgrade for a while.

Then you may decide to go with separates to drive everything, but that would be a topic best addressed after new speakers are in place I would think.

Something along the lines of the Denon AVR-3312CI...
DENON AVR-3312CI or similar.

With 7 channels of amplification to run the show:
Emotiva Audio XPA-5 Five Channel Power Amplifier
and
Emotiva Audio XPA-2 Two Channel Power Amplifier

Yeah, most people would be pretty happy with that I would think.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Also look at philharmonic speakers, the phil 1s are in the same price range as the Q900s. The philharmonics were recommended to me and now I'm thinking of getting a pair.

philharmonicaudio.com

You may also want to check out:

index1

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I should probably inform you that I am in canada. Amazon.com isn't so friendly and .ca isn't as stocked.

Makes some things harder to come by, the KEF speakers mentioned by BMXTRIX do not seem to be available anywhere near me. I will continue to look around to pester audio/video peddlers!

A place near me demos Paradigm speakers, sounded pretty good but I haven't heard much about them yet.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
.... surfing away and found Paradigms' sub 2.

whoa

New plan;
step 1. win lottery
step 2. build HT room the size of my current house
step 3. try out one of these in it

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
.... surfing away and found Paradigms' sub 2.

whoa

New plan;
step 1. win lottery
step 2. build HT room the size of my current house
step 3. try out one of these in it
Nah, dual sub it and knock the whole house down. :D

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Thanks for all the advice.

I have decided to go ahead with the speaker purchases (as funds allow), including a set of towers for the fronts. However, the wall that currently has the tv is a wall to wall shelving unit. For the tower speakers I will have to remodel the basement slightly. Remove shelving/hang tv on wall/route equipment to side wall. Life is never easy :rolleyes: With this on the to do list (I have wanted to do this for a while now anyway) I will wait for the tower purchase and get the receiver first. That way I can at least use the speakers I do have properly until I have the time to renovate.

As for the planning of the room, does the bass crawl method give the best spot for the woofer or that SPECIFIC woofer. Just want to know if I should get the sub before I think about layout. Or not worry about it at all:eek:

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
As for the planning of the room, does the bass crawl method give the best spot for the woofer or that SPECIFIC woofer. Just want to know if I should get the sub before I think about layout. Or not worry about it at all:eek:
Although the driver location may change with different subwoofers but it shouldn't make a whole lot of difference with most subwoofers, so you could get started now and fine tune things later.

While it is a good method for maximizing the bass level, it isn't necessarily the best method for getting the cleanest bass. For example, a corner will typically have the loudest SPL, but it'll be muddy and boomy and messy bass.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
A place near me demos Paradigm speakers, sounded pretty good but I haven't heard much about them yet.
What's this Paradigm stuff you speak of? I have never heard of it...:eek:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
With the kid at grandmas' today I thought I would play with my sub to get better sound. It is currently in the corner and as you would expect, loud but messy.

Attempted to play with the bass crawl...
1. Make sure your wife doesn't come down and see you. Pause filled conversation
2. Make sure the audio cable can ACTUALLY reach all the places you want to test
3. Do it sober... probably will eliminate most problems I had earlier :D

Don't suppose I could use a crappy rca for temp testing?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis