upgrade from my Studio-20 V5s?

A

albireo13

Enthusiast
I've been using my Studio-20 V5son stands in my living room for 2.0 ch music only for a few years.
I don't want a sub so I am ready to go for more bass. I like the Studio sound.
I'm looking for an attractive tower with smooth sound. Not a head-banger, I listen at modest levels usually.
My amp is the Emotiva UPA-2 SS amp ... 125 w/ch.

My budget is $2000

Towers on my short list:
Monitor Audio Silver 8 (hope to audition soon)
Ascend Sierra Towers (dome tweeter)
Silverline Prelude Plus
Philharmonic Slims Tower (budget stretch)

I don't want a visually dominating tower so I want the height 43" or less.
At the moment the Sierra Towers look to be a nice match.

What do folks think?

Should I instead stick to bookshelf speakers (Sierra-2 or Philharmonitor)

Thx,
Rob

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I've been using my Studio-20 V5son stands in my living room for 2.0 ch music only for a few years.
I don't want a sub so I am ready to go for more bass. I like the Studio sound.
I'm looking for an attractive tower with smooth sound. Not a head-banger, I listen at modest levels usually.
My amp is the Emotiva UPA-2 SS amp ... 125 w/ch.

My budget is $2000

Towers on my short list:
Monitor Audio Silver 8 (hope to audition soon)
Ascend Sierra Towers (dome tweeter)
Silverline Prelude Plus
Philharmonic Slims Tower (budget stretch)

I don't want a visually dominating tower so I want the height 43" or less.
At the moment the Sierra Towers look to be a nice match.

What do folks think?

Should I instead stick to bookshelf speakers (Sierra-2 or Philharmonitor)

Thx,
Rob
Rob, when I was just reading YOUR post the first speakers that came to MY mind were both the Ascend Sierra Towers and the Philharmonic Slim towers. Personally, I don't think YOU would go wrong with either of the two. Both are well received. Have YOU considered the BMR's on 24" stands?

Cheers,

Phil

A

albireo13

Enthusiast
Hi Phil,
Funny ... I was just poking through the Phil web site and was eyeing the BMRs.
I'd have to get shorter stands but, the bass response looks great, it has a ribbon tweeter and the price is right! I think I'll give Dennis a call and talk to him about options.

Thx

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Phil,
Funny ... I was just poking through the Phil web site and was eyeing the BMRs.
I'd have to get shorter stands but, the bass response looks great, it has a ribbon tweeter and the price is right! I think I'll give Dennis a call and talk to him about options.

Thx
Rob, I would certainly give Dennis a call. The BMR's really look impressive to me. Hope to hear them one day. BTW, I used to own a set of the Studio 20 v3's. To this day, they are easily my favorites. Like YOU, I never wanted a sub when I listened to music with them. Of course, my preference is, and will always be, on music listening. Just curious, what do YOU plan to do with YOUR Studio 20's?

Cheers,

Phil

A

albireo13

Enthusiast
I'll sell the Studios after I compare the new speakers.
I've heard that the V5s are the best of the Studio-20s. I really like them a lot.
Just looking to move up the ladder a bit.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'll sell the Studios after I compare the new speakers.
I've heard that the V5s are the best of the Studio-20s. I really like them a lot.
Just looking to move up the ladder a bit.
When YOU go to sell them let me know. I may just take them off your hands! Good luck in making YOUR decision on the new speakers.

Cheers,

Phil

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
1. Your right that the Studio 20v5s are the best of those series, but there are other options.
I used to have a set of the Studio 100V5 with CC690 and ADP Surrounds and was very happy with it for home theater, but I felt they lacked a bit if detail on the low end with music.

Pretty Speakers that Sound Good
- The Ascend and Philharmonic are excellent choices. (I have heard the Ascends)
- I prefer the ribbon tweeter to dome (but it's personal choice)
- PSB Imagine T2

NOT WAF
If you are looking for more base from a a tower:
- Golden Ear Triton 3+ (newer drivers / built in Subs) will give you the extra bass punch. They upgraded the drivers to mirror closer to their T1s.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
1. Your right that the Studio 20v5s are the best of those series, but there are other options.
I used to have a set of the Studio 100V5 with CC690 and ADP Surrounds and was very happy with it for home theater, but I felt they lacked a bit if detail on the low end with music.

Pretty Speakers that Sound Good
- The Ascend and Philharmonic are excellent choices. (I have heard the Ascends)
- I prefer the ribbon tweeter to dome (but it's personal choice)
- PSB Imagine T2

NOT WAF
If you are looking for more base from a a tower:
- Golden Ear Triton 3+ (newer drivers / built in Subs) will give you the extra bass punch. They upgraded the drivers to mirror closer to their T1s.
Hey Cos, I used to own a set of the Studio 20 v3's and have read a few times that the v5 was the best version. Do YOU happen to know what changes were made between the v3 and the v5? It seems like I read something about changes to the tweeter, no? Perhaps, even taming it a bit? Sadly, it appears that Paradigm has discontinued the Studio 20's. Why on earth would they do that? Have any idea?

Cheers,

Phil

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
From the V3 I think the pretty much everything. ;)

MidBase/Woofer
The new drive-unit is a 7" cone with an elliptically profiled surround of Santoprene artificial rubber, designed to achieve lower distortion, and deeper, louder bass.

The Cabinet is supposed to be improved as well. I used to have the Studio 60V3, those were my first entry into home audio, and I was very happy with them.

Studio is pretty much dead as it was replaced with the Prestige, which in fact do sound quite good, definitely a step up in detail, but there are so many options in that price range

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
From the V3 I think the pretty much everything. ;)

MidBase/Woofer
The new drive-unit is a 7" cone with an elliptically profiled surround of Santoprene artificial rubber, designed to achieve lower distortion, and deeper, louder bass.

The Cabinet is supposed to be improved as well. I used to have the Studio 60V3, those were my first entry into home audio, and I was very happy with them.

Studio is pretty much dead as it was replaced with the Prestige, which in fact do sound quite good, definitely a step up in detail, but there are so many options in that price range
Wow! I will have to check out the Prestige line for sure. I loved my Studio 20 v.3's. The tweeter was a bit bright or even a bit harsh at times on some recordings. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have not heard the Sierra speakers, but I would be reluctant to go from the Studio 20's Al tweeter to a soft dome, unless the Studio 20's come off as overly bright (maybe even harsh) to you.
IME, no soft dome quite captures the full sound of brass guitar strings, the blare of a trumpet or trombone, triangle, and (especially) the sound of chimes.
When I compared the Studio 20's to the Signature S-2 (with Be tweeter) I realized there was a sizzling bacon component for the sound of cymbals in the Studio 20's Al tweeter that was open and transparent on the Be tweeter (but recognize that I never heard the bacon sizzle until I had something better to compare it to). Since then, I have reached the conclusion that the RAAL ribbon tweeter is essentially equal to the best Be tweeters.
So, based on my experiences I would say going to a soft dome would be a step backward, and moving to the RAAL would be a good step in the right direction.
I would vote for the BMR.
Note that Paradigm tends to add a little emphasis to bass and treble for a slight smiley face response. The Phil's will be very much neutral. That may not be what you want. I think you will have deeper bass with the BMR, but not as strong in the mid-bass, and also, the treble may sound a little recessed in comparison. On the other hand, the midrange will be a new experience, and the overall finer detail and transparency of the mid and RAAL will be a revelation!

Last edited:
A

albireo13

Enthusiast
The Studio-20s excel at acoustic guitar reproduction, IMO. Very nice.
It has surprising bass for it's size but the bass can sometimes sound boomy and inarticulate.
It definitely tends to lose it at the low end. A more natural, and lower, bass would be great.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just read up on the new Prestige series. The 15B costs 1,598 a set. It really doesn't to me look like it would be better than the Studio 20 v3's I had. But, I could also be wrong. Sure would NOT be the first time. The 15B also employs a 5" driver? Why not at least a 6 1/2" or even a 7"? The prices for the Prestige series are sky high imho. I think that there are better choices out there in this price range. Anyone agree?

Cheers,

Phil

A

albireo13

Enthusiast
How do you think the Monitor Audio Silver 8 fits in?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
How do you think the Monitor Audio Silver 8 fits in?
I have not heard those speakers. The frequency response as measured by Stereophile shows an abrupt increase at around 4kHz and spike, notch and spike at ~7kHz, ~9kHz, and ~10kHz, respectively.
(the major drop-off is above 20kHz and is not a cause for concern).

As you can see, the bass is around 45Hz for a +/-2.5dB spec.

I can't say how they will sound to your ears, but the BMR gets you down to 30Hz (to 20kHz +/- 2dB with a smoother response). That should be no surprise as the BMR uses a 7" Scan Speak woofer with the cabinet tuned by Paul Kittinger. Aside from the Silver 8's using 6" woofers, I sincerely doubt they come close in quality to the Scan Speak driver.

But where I think you will really hear a big difference is with the dispersion. Here is the BMR's FR. Red is on axis, light blue is 30 degrees off axis, and dark blue is 75 degrees off axis! That is amazing and is one of the criteria for the best sounding loudspeakers (pretty sure Harman Labs did that research with Floyd Toole)!

Find me another speaker that is +/-3 dB from 200Hz to 20kHz at 75 degrees off axis!!!

(since bass is not directional, it probably extends down to 30Hz, but room modes interfere with measurements ... short of an anechoic chamber)

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just read up on the new Prestige series. The 15B costs 1,598 a set. It really doesn't to me look like it would be better than the Studio 20 v3's I had. But, I could also be wrong. Sure would NOT be the first time. The 15B also employs a 5" driver? Why not at least a 6 1/2" or even a 7"? The prices for the Prestige series are sky high imho. I think that there are better choices out there in this price range. Anyone agree?

Cheers,

Phil
I don't know anything about the Prestige series, but Paradigm speakers are pricey for what you get. They are well built and designed, but unless you are buying used with a solid discount, you can do better.
I have a pair of Signature S-2's and a pair of Phil3's. Both cost essentially the same, but the Phil3's are a true full range speaker @ 25Hz – 20kHz (+/- 2 dB) ... although I still have a soft spot for the S-2's as my first really great speaker!
I bet the New Philharmonitor at $1150/pair or the $1500 Sierra2 would fare well against the S-2's!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
How does Phil do their measurements, are they using a anechoic chamber?

A

albireo13

Enthusiast
The Philharmonic Slims look nice for a tower. Good bass response and RAAL ribbon tweeter.

One thing I am also looking for is good sonics at lower volumes. I understand I won't get the big bass but, I often play classical or jazz at low volumes to relax for for background while I'm reading.
Does this tend to go with efficiency?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis