D

Daker

Audiophyte
Looking into new speakers mostly for home theatre. Any thoughts on Paradigm prestige or B&W cm series?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm looking to update my wife. Any thoughts on blondes or brunettes?

they're both fine quality, sturdy, items. It all depends on ones personal preference.

You really gotta try 'em before deciding or, better yet, live with 'em for a while to be sure. Either that, or buy from a place with a decent return policy if your tastes aren't the same as others who like 'em.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
When looking to update to a new wife how do you ask politely to try before you decide? And I didn't know they sometimes come with a return policy!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
When looking to update to a new wife how do you ask politely to try before you decide? And I didn't know they sometimes come with a return policy!
You may have to sweet talk the salesperson to let you try them. It may take a bit of persuasion but if you devote enough time, it can usually be done

Then, after I try them and find I don't like them, I just slip quietly out the door without the salesperson noticing.

If you DO take them home, getting rid of them can become quite costly, particularly if you damage the box.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Do you live near a Bestbuy Magnolia? They are carrying lots of high end speakers now. And I have to say, B&W was thoroughly disappointing! All but the 803 had very strained high frequencies that did not sound good to me.

But there in lies the point, don't shop by brand, shop by the sound you hear! Bring some music you are very familiar with and hear everything you can!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm looking to update my wife. Any thoughts on blondes or brunettes?

they're both fine quality, sturdy, items. It all depends on ones personal preference.

You really gotta try 'em before deciding or, better yet, live with 'em for a while to be sure. Either that, or buy from a place with a decent return policy if your tastes aren't the same as others who like 'em.
Have you seen or heard the new red-heads? My impression is that they are quite the innovation, and could be worth the investment. Not many stocking dealers though, and a growing number of fake "me too" products out there.

:D

BTW, make sure the product matches the box. Damn near impossible to hide, it's a pretty good gauge of getting the "real thing."

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Looking into new speakers mostly for home theatre. Any thoughts on Paradigm prestige or B&W cm series?
All joking/ribbing aside, have you seen and/or heard either of those in person?

Tell us about your room shape and size (photos always a plus), distances to main listening position, budget and whether it includes a center speaker and surrounds. Do you want them all the same series from the same maker? Are you using a subwoofer or shopping for one? How loud do you like to listen and are you using a particular receiver or pre-processor & amp?

The reason you didn't get straight answers right away is because you asked a question akin to "what house" or "what car" should I buy. No one knows your needs, no one can answer. Both you mentioned are very good speaker lines. All the people who own either would tell you to buy that one, just as I'd tell you to go buy KEF R series. Give us more to go one, you'll get help.

D

Daker

Audiophyte
Funny, I just upgraded my wife that's why I can upgrade my speakers!!! My room is about 11ft x 16ft with stairs in one corner listening about 12ft from main speakers and yes there will be a sub..

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Not the best triangulation but it'll work fine, especially if you move the speakers away from the walls a good bit. That's something you really need to do with Paradigm Prestige, B&W CM or KEF R speakers as they're all rear ported.

Will you be getting a pair of mains as the foundation for a surround system or are you a 2.1 music oriented person? Where are you located and can you get out to look and listen to any of these? Others that some to mind are Monitor Audio, Revel, Salk, PSB, Golden Ear and Martin Logan, just to name a few. There are some really good speakers out there. What's the budget?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis