UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Defrauding hundreds of people and capitalizing on their generosities. How an individual can use the name of a cancer or children's hospital and defraud them is beyond me. It's not as if he's made a mistake. This has been ongoing for 6 years now.

I hope the bastard gets what's coming to him!!! Stuff like this really me distrust humanity. :mad:
This is is horrible it makes me wanna puke, I believe that people in the end will get what they deserve, I am no judge and don't know what MLS deserves, but I strongly believe that some sort of justice will be served in this case, or at least I hope !!!

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Audiodoc #31

Mr. Schifter offered quality products at a very affordable price. While this news of indictment is disheartening and troubling, recall that indictment does not = proof of guilt. We need to see what develops and not rush to judgment or conclusions. I do not know Mr. Schifter but I have read about his products by enthusiasts and have owned two items his company sold.
I completely agree. I don't get the second person enosimaniac here.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

laserman

Audiophyte
Schifter is a tool for doing this. I am glad I don't own any of his products any more.

What a douche! :mad:
Brandon,
You were once a rabid fan-boy of his products and defended his poor handling of pre-payments and quality issues when others were posting their real life issues and concerns. I find this interesting because now that you switched over to Salk products, you have developed what appears to be a cult-like existance with his stuff and defend it vehemently. Hmmmmmmmm, exuberant product endorser or shill?!? Jury is still out on that one.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
That's quite a testicular comment by you, Nemo :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Schifter is a tool for doing this. I am glad I don't own any of his products any more.

What a douche! :mad:
Brandon,
You were once a rabid fan-boy of his products and defended his poor handling of pre-payments and quality issues when others were posting their real life issues and concerns. I find this interesting because now that you switched over to Salk products, you have developed what appears to be a cult-like existance with his stuff and defend it vehemently. Hmmmmmmmm, exuberant product endorser or shill?!? Jury is still out on that one.
I take it Brandon is Nuance.

Everybody makes mistakes and welcome to the forum and thanks for being enormously insulting in your very first post. :eek: :D

GirgleMirt

GirgleMirt

Audioholic
I wonder if many of those people are conscious of this... And if they are able to realize their own failings in this issue and learn from it. Sadly, I think most will just put all of the blame Schifter for fooling them, and not think about the matter one more second... Only to repeat those exact same mistakes over and over again...

I think it's the nature of man. In so many things, people just refuse to consider or question their beliefs. If they believe something, then that's how it is. And no matter what others say, they'll hold on to these beliefs, because I guess it makes them feel good, and feel good about themselves... If those beliefs are false, then it would mean that they were wrong, and that would reflect negatively on themselves, and so they just ignore it... No matter what... It often takes a really dramatic event to make them consider their beliefs. And even then, some will refuse to acknowledge reality, preferring to spin tales and strange rationalizations to make the world fit with their beliefs instead of making their beliefs fit with the reality which surrounds them... There was so much of a cult dynamic with av123.com, it's like Schifter managed to make many see him as a holy being. He didn't have to do much, people simply wanted to believe in him, and joined them willingly... It's also ironic now that so many are adopting the views they so vehemently opposed just a short while ago... People make me sad sometimes :( Well, way too often...

Last edited:
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Well said GirgleMirt. Well said. He hosed a lot of us to various degrees and a lot of us are now breathing cleaner air.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I wonder if many of those people are conscious of this... And if they are able to realize their own failings in this issue and learn from it. Sadly, I think most will just put all of the blame Schifter for fooling them, and not think about the matter one more second... Only to repeat those exact same mistakes over and over again...
I have a very different perspective on this. I doubt anyone saw Mark as a holy being, but would agree that many saw him as a good man and perhaps even a heroic man. Much of this perception was derived from his active support of charities dedicated to improving the human condition.

As I see it, the "failing" of those who fell victim to this situation was that they placed trust in another person who established himself as a standup kind of guy. I cannot accept that as a failing. I have chosen to trust people as a matter of principal. Yes, I have been stabbed in the back occasionally, but the rewards from relations built on mutual trust and respect are substantial. I guess I am one to "repeat those exact same mistakes over and over again" as you put it, but I see it as a better option than the alternative.

Sorry, but I see MLS as a special type of scum who preys on the better qualities of people, and I hope there is a special place in hell (should such a place exist) for his type. His behavior erodes our society, bringing us closer to those less fortunate societies which have so little trust that they cannot function.

The blame falls wholly on Mark.
Kudu's to those that donated to his charity drives and supported (through their purchases) the innovative entrepreneur's startup. IMHO, these are good people, not "flawed" people!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i was 3x > < this close to buying an x-sub, the LCR thing, and an MFW15

i even told my wife "as long as i buy from MLS, i won't get screwed"

lol.

the x-sub got discontinued before i hit the order button
the LCR had some veneer issues
the MFW didn't have the finish i wanted available (and my wife could smell BS from another country)

L

laserman

Audiophyte
Girglemirt,
Very well said and oh so true, thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Alex2507,
Thank you for the warm welcome. I have lurked here for years and stayed in the inky shadows. However, when I read what Nuance (Brandon) said it inspired me to speak my mind. He single handedly inspired others towards AV123 products and now wants to rewrite his personal history. In the future I will try to PO only folks like Chu and his peeps. J/K Chu, you do have a great skill for pulling back the curtain and I applaud you for doing so. Next on your list should be Eric....you know who I mean....

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Alex2507,
Thank you for the warm welcome.
You're welcome. :)

In the future I will try to PO only folks like Chu and his peeps.
I'm not PO'ed ... but that was a remarkable first post ... that's all.
I sort of have it on good authority that he's a good sort.
I'm the one who doesn't belong in this thread so ... too-dah-loo. ;)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Brandon,
I'm honored I "inspired" you to make your first post...riddled with false accusations and insults. How wonderful! :rolleyes:

I liked some of AV123's products a while back and even recommended them, but I never forced anyone's hand, and I always recommended people audition before they buy. I didn't get any free products for doing so, nor any discounts. Dunno how that makes me a cult follower or shill, but whatever... Anyway, when things started getting fishy with AV123 and the complaints started rolling in, I did not defend Mark or AV123. I'll admit it was a little hard to swallow at first, as I actually thought he was a decent guy, but the truth became plain as day. I've been recommending people stay away from AV123 for over a year. Look or ask around - you'll see.

Concerning Salk, heck yes I like their products, and I'll recommend them whenever I want to. It also helps Jim isn't a crook and his products sound great. I recommend products that sound good to me; plain and simple. It took me years to find a speaker I was able to live with (I auditioned dozens). I've never forced anyone's hand, so being accused of being a shill is ridiculous, but you're entitled to your opinion. Call me whatever you want - doesn't bug me. I'll continue to search out good products and recommend them, and if that makes me a "fanboy," so be it.

As for single handedly inspiring others to buy AV123 products, how? I started a thread about my search; that's it. If that "inspired people" there is nothing I can do about it. I never forced anyone or hounded them. That thread was more for me to keep record of my "journey" than anything else. Fortunately I met some cool people along the way whom I consider good friends to this day.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, but you're way off. ;)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I take it Brandon is Nuance.

Everybody makes mistakes and welcome to the forum and thanks for being enormously insulting in your very first post. :eek: :D
Guess I am not allowed to make mistakes, at least according to laserman. :p Oh well - I am not sweating it. You can't be friends with everyone, right?

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
This kind of thing is the real beauty of the mls saga. I'm pretty sure that nuance and laserman are both pretty good guys, but they clash here as part of the domino effect from mls. On another forum you have guys who have been tight for years taking shots at each other. Thanks Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis