upcoming surround speaker purchase - opinions?

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Hi all,

I am loooking at purchasing a set of 4 Energy C-Series Surround Speaker (C-R100) speakers for my 7.1 system.

They will be driven by a Pioneer VSX-81TXV and will be ceiling mounted (not in the ceiling just the brackets affixed to the ceiling as wall mount is not practical.

For fronts I currently have a set of Acoustic Research towers and matching centre and a JBL Venue Series 12" sub.

Open to opinions and suggestions. I am from Calgary, Canada so a lot of the options available to those down south may not be available up here

Thanks
Michael

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I would say even though they won't timbre match your current soundstage, you should be fine. Some people who listen to sacd's or dvd-a, may offer a different opinion, but for the most part surround speakers have a small effect on the overall sound. Therefore, the c-r100's are bipole design and IMO they should fit the bill nicely and best of all they're cost effective!!:)

Billy p

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Do you listen to a lot of music? If not, it probably won't kill you to have mis-matched surround speakers. For DVD-A & SACD, I agree that having matched speakers is a big plus, but not a requirement.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. No I do not listen to a lot of music. Mainly for movies and games. I thought they were very cost effective as well. Looking up her in my area they are $200 each (list price at Future Shop). I can probably do better but did not want spend a bunch of time price shopping until I decided on the speakers.

I would prefer a match set of speakers, but budget does not allow for a full purchase right now. In the middle of a basement renovation to accommodate the new system, as well as all the other toys (mine and the kids)

Thanks again
Michael

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
I have not heard the C-R100 in action but I have heard the C-100 Bookshelf speakers. I have to say the C-100 is one of the best little 12"H speaker I have heard...so far. Looks like the C-R100 is using the same components. You might want to check at A&B sound. They did have the Energy C Series speakers set-up in a couple of their HT rooms.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
I have heard the C-R100's and they are very nice. One of our local Future Shops has them set up in theit HT rooms. I am going to check A&B sound as well to see about their prices.

Thanks for the info
Michael

V

ViviF0rever

Enthusiast
I will throw my $.02 here and you can make of it as you will.

1) The energy C-100 bookshelves are incredible, i have them as the 2 back speakers in my 7.1 system. They sound great.

2) The C-R-100 surrounds are set as the side ones right now, and they are awesome, at one point during my setup my front speakers were not being fed by multi-channel input but for about 10 minutes i thought they were there because of the reflections caused by the C-R-100's. These speakers are great and work awesome for surrounds.

3)Test out the difference between 4x bookshelves for sides/rear, 4x surrounds for sides/rear, and the possibility of 2x books for rear + 2x surrounds for sides. I have heard that rear speakers are better suited as one directional for 7.1.

4) Finally this is an email from Athena when i was considering matching the Athena LS line with the Energy Surrounds since Athena has no surrounds
"With the side surrounds, the method of transmitting sound bi/di polar is more important than the exact timbre match with others in the series. "

Take that as you may, Energy will get my votes as an excellent choice

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the info ViviF0rever.

When you say "I have heard that rear speakers are better suited as one directional for 7.1." are you referring to the two very rear speakers or all four reear surrounds?

I will look at the aptions you have suggestted when I head over to the store to test out the speakers. They do not have the C-100s listed as being in stock, but they do have the C-200s (granted this is only one store and there are a few options here in Calgary)

I will let you know what I come up with.

Thanks again
Michael

V

ViviF0rever

Enthusiast
Referring to the far back speakers. The 200's should be able to give you a fairly accurate idea of which set-up you prefer.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Thanks ViviF0rever. Much appreciated

Cheers
Michael

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis