Universal remote controls

T

Tizeye

Enthusiast
Any suggestions on a relatively moderate priced ($100-200) universal remote control that controls all.

Got stung on the remote on the Yamaha Rx-V650 per related thread and need to trash it. It is not even learning capable as Yamaha indicates all codes are "fixed", none can be added/updated, and the best suggestion was to try other brands codes to see if it will work! Basically, go fishing with random codes.

In my research, found this web site. http://www.remotecentral.com/

Leaning towards the Home Theater Master MX-500 or the Harmony H659. Anybody use either of them? Recommend others? Also, the touch screens like the Sony 2500/3000. Do you use a stylus like a PDA or is it literally touch with your finger?

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
Well I am a Harmony 659 user. I use to have a pronto and hated the lcd touchscreen. IMHO touchscreens are the worst UI for a remote control.

That said I really like the 659, super easy to program, and super easy for anyone to use. My wife loves the 659, she has yet to have any issue using it. Guests have come over and have no issue using it either.

One thing I really like about the 659 that many remotes do not have including the pronto is state tracking. It remembers the last state of a device, this is very useful for things that do not have discrete codes like my TV. So if I am watching TV and want to listen to a CD it knows to turn the TV off and switch the input of the reciever to CD, but if I am watching TV and switch to watch a DVD it knows NOT to send the on/off signal to the TV.

It also has a "Help" button that is very useful for when things get out of state. Which happens if the IR signal is blocked for some reason. Big yellow button says help and it walks you through a few yes/no questions to get you back to a known state, very wife friendly.

Bad points - The LCD is small and it looks to have room for 6 functions, but alot of the time it only allows for 4 at a time.
- The transport buttons are on the very bottom of the remote, can be diffcult to use for some. I have gotten use to it, and I use them alot for Tivo
- No user defineable macros, some have "taught" macros to it. This is not much of an issue for me since I can get all the macro functions I need through the Activites options. You can tell it to do certain additional things when starting or ending an activity.
-The default remote database is sometimes a little off, can be fixed by learning the codes yourself

Possible bad/or good
- All setup is through the web interface so if you like it great, if you don't then not good. You can setup your remote before buying the remote, I recommend you do that.

Other Good Points
- Nice size, not too big.
- Very nice button feedback
- Setup super simple
- Easy to use, plenty of buttons

I did not compare with the MX-500 cause I have never used one.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Mx-500

I have extensive use with the Pronto and Pronto Neo remotes.(at work) I feel they have a lot to offer, I do not like their functionality especially because you need a stylus of some sort to operate them. I chose the MX-500 over the philips remotes for several reasons. I do not like using touch screen buttons, if you don't get the battery recharger you will spend a fortune on batteries, and I have also had problems getting the Pronto remote to operate all devices I have tried to program it to operate. (Philips told me to update firmware, not promising a fix!)

I simply love the MX-500 it is very simple to use and in one year I have changed the batteries 2 times. (It replaced 7 remotes) It is very easy to set-up and I have yet to find a device it won't operate. (I even use it to control a IR Fan.) I know a few people who also own this remote and they could not be happier.

U

Unregistered

I use the MX-500 and think it is about the closest I have ever come to the "ultimate" remote control. Universal Electronics has just released a new series too: URC-100 Unifier, URC-200 Automator, and URC-300 Customizer.

The Automator is a cross between the mx-500 and the mx-700. It is a bit less wide and a bit less long. I haven't bought one yet, but reading the manual I've discovered the subtle differences between it and the mx-500.

1. MX-500 allows macros only on system(off), power, and m1, m2, m3 buttons. The FAV buttons are macros too but only allow 0-9, enter, display, and info/pause buttons to be used in the macro (but if you program an operation to the number buttons of another mode you can use them in the macro so it's not too limiting.) The Automator has no dedicated macro keys but can do macros on any of the lcd buttons. So you get alot more buttons that are macro capable on the Automator.

2. The MX-500 controls 10 devices with two pages of 10 buttons for each device. The Automator controls 10 devices and has 8 pages of 5 buttons for each device.

3. Both allow learning to ANY key. I've found it's best to teach it every command from your original remote. If you don't have the original remote, the best option is to buy a URC-8811 and a JP1 cable (see remotecentral.com or hifi-remote.com) and program it with the functions of the original remote (using a combination of built-in codes and device upgrades you make yourself with JP1) and then use the 8811 to teach the MX-500. I've done the JP1 programming to add devices it did not have built-in and it works like a charm. Takes a few days to read everything and plan your device upgrades.

4. The Automator also sends RF commands that can be used with a new RF base station they sell. The MX-500 is not RF capable (the MX-600 is.)

My only complaint about the mx-500 is the backlight button must be pressed everytime you want the light on (you can set the time for the light though), instead of coming on with every button press like the cheap OFA URC-8811.

If I were buying a new remote today, it would be the Automator.

D

dot99com

Audiophyte
Mx-500

My advice - NEVER buy an MX-500. If you do get it from Best Buy so that you can return it for something else. I had high hoped for this machine. It feels great in your hand - lovely back-lighting etc.

That is about where the fun ends. Their customer support is HORRIBLE. The remote control is made in South Korea yet they can not give me the code for my Samsung TV. After a few emails I was told to just "fish" for the right code. None of the 999 possible numbers will work it.

Blue Do tells you to clear the memory & start from scratch.

Customer support tells you to do things which are never mentioned in the manual (i.e. "punch-through"). I live overseas & I feel totally ripped off. If I lived in the States this unit would have gona back to the store before sunset.

Keep looking - Universal Remotes are not the answer. Marantz makes them - Philips makes them - Sony make them.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
MX 500 continued

Don't listen to dot. The MX-500 is a terrific remote. In fact, I can think of no other that will do what it can do, so well, for the price. If you don't have a CODE all you need to do is learn the commands if you have access to the original remote. I have 6 different components that I use it with as well as IR commands for a computer. They each have their own brand and I've never encountered any problems.

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
hopjohn said:
Don't listen to dot. The MX-500 is a terrific remote. In fact, I can think of no other that will do what it can do, so well, for the price. If you don't have a CODE all you need to do is learn the commands if you have access to the original remote. I have 6 different components that I use it with as well as IR commands for a computer. They each have their own brand and I've never encountered any problems.

Does the MX500 keep state?

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Memory Lock

Acccording to the manual the MX500 has an internal memory lock system that retains all of the programs and learned functions for an extended period in the event of battery loss. It doesn't say how long this "extended period" is. My best guess would be for around a week. The manual also recommends replacing the dead batteries as soon as possible. The remote also has a low battery message so it's pretty obvious when the batteries are losing their juice. With standard use the 4 AAA batteries should last around 6 months, maybe a little less for an Audioholic. I'd reccomend using 4 Nickel Metal Hydride rechargables, better for the environment and lighter on the wallet over the long term.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Battery life tip

A little trick I use to prolong the battery life with the MX-500 is to select an unused device button where I've deleted all the names from the LCD display. When I know I won't be using it for a while (overnight) I select this screen, so that it will use less juice.

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
hopjohn said:
Acccording to the manual the MX500 has an internal memory lock system that retains all of the programs and learned functions for an extended period in the event of battery loss. It doesn't say how long this "extended period" is. My best guess would be for around a week. The manual also recommends replacing the dead batteries as soon as possible. The remote also has a low battery message so it's pretty obvious when the batteries are losing their juice. With standard use the 4 AAA batteries should last around 6 months, maybe a little less for an Audioholic. I'd reccomend using 4 Nickel Metal Hydride rechargables, better for the environment and lighter on the wallet over the long term.
Sorry I was not clear in my question. When I say keep state. I am referring to the remote being smart enough to know that if it turned the TV on or not and wont send a command to turn it on again if it is already on. This is very important for devices that do not have discrete codes.

D

Doufuss

Enthusiast
Harmony

We have a 659.

The wife and kids love it.

Excellent customer service.

U

Unregistered

m1abrams said:
Sorry I was not clear in my question. When I say keep state. I am referring to the remote being smart enough to know that if it turned the TV on or not and wont send a command to turn it on again if it is already on. This is very important for devices that do not have discrete codes.
No, the MX-500 does not track state internally like the Harmony. The solution for problems caused by out of synch state is to use discrete codes. The only problem is the mx-500 includes very few discrete codes in their pre-programmed database.

If your original remote has discrete codes for on/off/etc then you just learn them from the original. If they do not, then you can get a OFA remote that has them or can be modified to have them using the codes available on remotecentral and hifi-remote.com and then teach them to the mx-500. Of course there are also workarounds you can use when discrete codes are not available. So I don't think that state tracking of the Harmony is really that big a deal, although for some it is the defining feature that would make them choose a Harmony over an mx-500.

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
Unregistered said:
No, the MX-500 does not track state internally like the Harmony. The solution for problems caused by out of synch state is to use discrete codes. The only problem is the mx-500 includes very few discrete codes in their pre-programmed database.

If your original remote has discrete codes for on/off/etc then you just learn them from the original. If they do not, then you can get a OFA remote that has them or can be modified to have them using the codes available on remotecentral and hifi-remote.com and then teach them to the mx-500. Of course there are also workarounds you can use when discrete codes are not available. So I don't think that state tracking of the Harmony is really that big a deal, although for some it is the defining feature that would make them choose a Harmony over an mx-500.
I would argue that state tracking is a huge deal, unless you are lucky enough to own devices with all discrete codes, which many people do not. Some devices do not have discrete codes available by any means, via pre-programmed or learning.

Without discrete codes or state tracking it is very difficult to make a simply remote for wives and guest to use without issues.

So when comparing the mx-500 and the harmony take this into consideration. For me it would be a deal breaker.

U

Unregistered

Its true that many devices don't have discrete codes and if that is the case then the state tracking of the Harmony is invaluable. However, many do but just don't make them available via their remote and as I've mentioned you can often find them and make them work. If you have macro capability, you can often workaround the issue anyway - it might not be elegant, but it will work.

So I personally wouldn't pay the high price for a Harmony remote simply to get state tracking. That one feature alone is not worth $150 more than other remotes, IMO. Besides, I think the layout of the Harmony is but ugly - way too many buttons arranged in a haphazard manner. But hey, to each his own, and that is why there are a large number of remotes available - no one model will be ideal for everyone.

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
Wow how much is the MX-500? I know the MX-700 is over $300. I got my Harmony for only $180. The MX-500 I know is more than $100, in fact I thought it was closer to $200?

U

Unregistered

I paid $99 for the MX-500. I thought MSRP for the newer Harmony models was around $259 - hence my comment about $150 more. I see Bluedo.com has the 659 for $189 and the 688 for $229.

F

falser

Audiophyte
I've spent over 4 years with a Sony RM-L900 and it's still going strong. I haven't liked a single remote I've seen or read about since, and plan to get another one for a 2nd system. It's "manly" - big, heavy, but has soft touch buttons, no LCD or gimmicks. The only flaw is perhaps the button lighting is not good, and the macro's aren't terribly useful. But in every other aspect such as ergonomics, longetivity, and logical layout, it is top notch.

T

Tizeye

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone.

I just got the URC-200 for $129. The MX-500 was tempting at $99, but it is a 3y/o product and the UCR-200 is the 'new equivalent' by the same company and has more features and macro flexibility. So new, not available mail order yet. Couldn't justify the price premium for the Harmony.

Played with it today and appears to be doing what I want it to.

M

mediafrk

Enthusiast
Price Check!

Sorry! I'm A Little Late On The Reply. Bluedo Is Seliing The H688 For $150.

I have the Logitech/Harmony H688 in house and will be finishing up my review on it next month.

My MX-700 review was fairly in-depth.. though sometimes I think people just want a summary of features and useability on the darn things. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis