Universal Remote Control RF20 Video Preview with MRF100B

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Remote controls are funny. You don't realize how important they are until you use a really good one... that's not yours... then you get remote envy. It's not pretty. One of the solutions is Universal Remote's RF20. Now there are several things that make this remote stand out, but the most visual thing is that it has a backlit LCD screen that can be customized to control up to 10 different devices. The remote comes pre-programmed to operate virtually all brands of equipment. It can also do macros, which is like having the remote issue a bunch of commands to your gear in a row so that it turns itself on properly and starts playing a DVD, for example. Read on for more...

Discuss "Universal Remote Control RF20 Video Preview with MRF100B" here. Read the article.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
I've set up about 10 of these and own one myself. RF operation is solid unlike the earlier models of Universal like the Automator.

It's a good remote.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I've got the (discontinued) step up from this, the RF30 and RF Extender. Both work absolutely perfect, the only device I can't completely mimic being the Apple TV remote, in which the functionality lost is minimal. I'm sure the RF20 is just as reliable, I just prefer the LCD touchscreen functionality of the RF30 over the RF20, which is why I went that route initially.

I still have the URC-300 (aka Customizer) in use in my bedroom setup, also works pretty flawlessly, though the buttons are not as tactile as the RF30.

Having owned a few universal remotes (Harmony, URC, Sony, etc.), these seem to provide the biggest bang for the buck, unless you want your remote to be extremely attractive, which isn't a concern for me... -TD

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
Just received one in the mail today. Man, setup is easy. It took me about 5 minutes (most of the time was spent watching the DVD tutorial) and I setup the TV, Cable, and Receiver...then setup macros, which allows you to turn on/off all three at the same time. Damn convenient. I never knew what I was missing.

Thanks

Last edited:
Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
Anyone know how I could use this controller with my PS3?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
You need an IR to BT adapter. I know there have been more than one made for this purpose over the years, I just have no idea what to recommend because I've never had a PS3.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Disappointing compared to MX-350

I had my sister buy the RFS2000 package which is the RF20 and associated RF basestation (it doesn't say mrf-100b but I assume it is because it only works with the RF10/20/30) because the kids broke the light button off the MX-350 I gave them awhile ago and that is required for saving macros. I thought she could save a few bucks and get RF too so they could use it from the patio.

I always thought the RF20 was just a less-featured version of the MX-350 based on my reading of the RF20 manual and actual experience with the MX-350. It actually has a few crippling limitations and if my mx-350 ever dies, I definitely will NOT be downgrading to save a few bucks.

1. While you can punch vol, ch, play, and vod controls to MAIN just like the mx-350, you cannot use the on/off buttons on MAIN as system-wide power on/off macros and retain individual power control in each of the device modes. Having vol, ch, play, and vod controls on MAIN is of dubious value, but the ability to have system wide power control macros from MAIN is very useful (it is after all the 'main' menu and hence starting point for turning everything on!).

If you setup a macro to turn everything on using the on button on MAIN, that macro will run in every single device mode, thus you no longer have individual power control in each device mode. It's like the old MX-500 where you get to choose to use the on/off buttons for system wide macros or individual power buttons in each device mode; if you choose system wide power control, you have to add on/off buttons to the LCD for each device OR choose individual power buttons for each device mode and add an 'all on' type macro on some other LCD page.

2. It is dog slow because it sends IR and RF at the same time. There is no way to turn the RF off or choose between IR and RF (or both) for individual device modes as you can on the mx-350. The mx-350 and mrf-260 works flawlessly for me.

This turned out to be a big problem because FAV channels are really just macros. Because it is so slow, pressing a FAV button with a channel macro like '-3-8-4' results in the cable box choosing channel 3 - every single time!

Even if you don't setup the RF basestation it is still too slow when pointing directly at the cable box because it appears to send '3' by IR, then '3' by RF, then '8' by IR, then '8' by RF, etc. Sometimes it will tune to the first channel number then a second later tune to the second channel number. Under no circumstance will it ever see the 3rd number in the sequence which I suppose is a blessing since it's frustrating enough to have it tune to the first and second numbers in the sequence.

I realize this may not be the case for all cable boxes, but with their Motorola DVR, it is absolutely unusable.

3. It couldn't learn repeating commands from the cable box remote (most likely a 'toggle bit' type command where the command only varies by the least significant bit which indicates 'do the same thing again'.)

I had to use the mx-350 to teach the RF20 those commands so that when you hold down the cursor buttons the guide will scroll rapidly. Same deal for volume control of the receiver.

So I'm a bit disappointed in trying to save my sister a few bucks. I worked around the limitations and they are back in business. The press-and-hold macros work the same and that was great but the RF is a no-go.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis