Universal DVD player HELP!

H

Hoikensnogin

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I'm new to this post. Love the website, tons of great info. I need some advice on universal DVD players.

I've done lots and lots of reading. It seems that the Denon DVD-2900 is a really good solid bet. Seems like the DVD-2200 is almost as good but you save some $$.

I'm mostly interested in sound quality. I'm working on building my HT. I'll spend about $4000 in sound, but only $1100 on the TV. I've just bought Klipsch RF-7's for the front, RF-3's for the rear (crazy?). Still need center channel, sub, receiver, and DVD player.

Here's my question: If I get a good receiver (looking at a used Denon AVR 4800 or 5800, or maybe Onkyo TX-DS898), do I need to spend a lot of money on the DVD player. I can use the DAC's in the receiver to give me excellent sound quality...why pay for expensive DAC's in the DVD player??

I do want a universal player....MP3's, SACD's, DVD-A's, CD's, etc. Why not buy as used Denon 1600. It's supposed to be an excellent DVD player, and my receiver's DAC's should result in excellent sound...right????

I'm new to all this, so eagerly await my education :D

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'm afraid it's not quite that easy. While the DACs in the receiver will be doing the "heavy lifting" with CDs & DVD's, a normal Toslink or Coax will not pass a digital signal from SACD or DVD-A. No normal player can; for that you have to step up to a newer player & receiver with Firewire/Denon Link/I-Link, etc.

I can strongly endorse the DVD-2200. I've been very pleased with mine, and while it may give up some to the DVD-2900, it's a good player in it's own right. In fact, TAS liked it more than the '2900. Certainly if you can afford it the spendier is nice, but I sure wouldn't spend a grand on one with the new models set to come out in a few months.

H

Hoikensnogin

Enthusiast
:confused:

So....if I want to listen to DVD-A's and SACD's...I need to get newer equipment right? The Denon 2200 will work right?

As for the receiver...is the Denon 4800/5800 or even 5700 too old? It seems that they're coming out with new receivers every few years, and you can save a lot of $$ by getting the older version. I don't really care about the newest widget. I just want high quality sound.

I really appreciate your help :)

M

mike_p

Audioholic Intern
yes the 2200 is pretty nice, aside from the shi*ty bass mgmt for SACD and DVD-A, just make sure to set all you speakers to large.. I'm talking in the DVD player setup menu (not your reciever).

I'm listening to Bowie's Heathen SACD right now, oh man does it sound fantastic. I'm really sold on SACD, need to buy more.. its the future I tell you!

Also, if you're gonna do lots of music listening, be careful what kinda reciever you buy, you wanna get something with a msucial reputation. I've got a Marantz SR-5400, which does an excellent job when using the 6.1 channel input in "direct" mode.. uh, not totally accurate, I got some other fancy amplification for my 2-channel rig.. sounds so good.. yum.

mike

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

A used 4800 or 5800 would be a very nice receiver, provided you get a good deal on it. I wouldn't pay more for a used 4800 than it would cost to buy a 3805, but if you can get a good price either would be great for music. The one downside would be the lack of newer surround formats. I don't think the two receivers you mention have Dolby Pro Logic II (PLII) which would be a deal-breaker for me. If you don't plan to use it for HT very much it wouldn't matter.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Hoikensnogin,
The simple answer is an "older" receiver can play SACD or DVD-A if you have a dvd players capable of converting the signal to analog and passing that signal to two (or more) analog inputs on the receiver. Most people are doing it this way as receivers with Firewire/Denon Link/I-Link, etc. are still cost-prohibitive for most of us. I know a few people who own the Denon 2200 and are very happy with it. Perhaps one can be had even cheaper as the new models come out.

H

Hoikensnogin

Enthusiast
Learning...

Okay...I bought a Onkyo TX-DS898 new on ebay ($630). I'll let you guys know how that works out when it gets here.

I talked to Tweeters today. I think I'm understanding all this now. You have to forgive me...last time I hooked up a TV, I screwed the cables in (no component...hell not even composite).

I've decided that I'm definitely not going to pay for the digital DVD-A/SACD output (firewire, I-link, etc). Way too much money.

So please correct me if I'm wrong....I have 2 options at this point:

1. Buy a decent progressive scan dvd player, use audio component link, let the onkyo decode it, and I'll get great sound from CD's but no chance for DVD-A/SACD. No point in spending a lot on a DVD player because all it has to do is deliver a digital signal to your receiver for decoding. Lots of DVD players can do this just fine for less than $300.

2. Decide I must have DVD-A/SACD. Now I need to spend more on the DVD player because I need good DAC's to decode the high res music because my receiver can't accept I-link, firewire, etc and I'm not going to pay for that in a DVD player either. I will need 6 analog cables to send the high res analog signal to the onkyo. Seem like Denon 2200, 2900, and several Pioneer elite models are good bets for this option.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

If you really want SACD & DVD-A, the players you mention are good bets. And once you hear SACD & DVD-A, you'll really want them! :D If you only want to play back regular DVDs there are a lot of good players for $300 or less that'll do the job.

Pioneer has a couple of Universal Players (aka SACD & DVD-A both thru the analog outputs) that can be had for $200 or less. Neither incorporates bass management (that I know of) but if you have "Large" speakers that won't be a major issue.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis