UN-Official Formula 1 Thread

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ferrari was one in Qualy but to finish 25 seconds adrift in the race shows that the Merc lump still has some grunt to spare.

It was great to see them closer though which bodes well for remaining races some where the power is not as important.
One important thing to note, Hamilton is still running the 2016 spec engine.

Between the unique rear wing, and the usage (and testing) of a new engine, I fail to understand how all these incredibly tight rules allow for this. But it also says something about the other teams continual efforts that Mercedes felt compelled to test their new engine to maintain their advantage!

annunaki

annunaki

Good point, perhaps they recognized something in the Ferrari upgrade package(s) that compelled them to make the leap?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Good point, perhaps they recognized something in the Ferrari upgrade package(s) that compelled them to make the leap?
Absolutely! They realized their 2015 power unit was no longer dominant.

Its good FOM lets Mercedes start testing new engines, we were in danger of having a race!

annunaki

annunaki

I don't believe there are any changes to the power unit for 2016 are there? If there are no changes there is probably no issue in doing so.

It is a lot like testing 2016 parts on the car during a practice session for teams packing it in for the year by September.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
It was a boring race, IMO, but Vettel is showing his skills race after race, though. He won his 42nd race and surpassed Senna today, down in Singapore :cool:

BTW, what's happening with Mercedes lately??:confused:

Forza Ferrari!!:)

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Howdy F1 Fans,

don't you ever forget there's gonna be the Jap F-1 race early morning down in Tokyo and Nico is the Pole-Sitter though; however I bet all my cards on Vettel's performance, as Ferrari is growing-up pretty fast, if compared to MB ;)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Rosberg will be getting 'unfriended' on FB as he insists on always posting the results at local time. I'm not going to see the race til tomorrow

annunaki

annunaki

I hear you warrior. There are times when I have had to go 3 days on media blackout so I could watch the race unaware of the outcome.

Russia looks to be more of a Merc track so we shall see if Ferrari can hold close, then on to COTA.

Also starting to look like Red Bull will be powered by prancing horse power next year. That will be interesting.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I hear you warrior. There are times when I have had to go 3 days on media blackout so I could watch the race unaware of the outcome.

Russia looks to be more of a Merc track so we shall see if Ferrari can hold close, then on to COTA.

Also starting to look like Red Bull will be powered by prancing horse power next year. That will be interesting.

Red Bull has me very concerned. It is not their fault that Renault has failed to keep up with engine development(Mclaren). It would be strategically, awful, for Ferrari to supply a direct competitor engines. Unless they sign a deal that gives them access to Adrian Newey, I don't see why Ferrari would give them the chance.

But there is so much talk of Red Bull wanting to pull out that I'm horrified to think we'd be racing with only 3 factory teams.

I'm pretty sure whichever VW brand was going to enter (Audi?) is officially off the table...

annunaki

annunaki

I agree with you. I would hate to see Red Bull leave. With new leadership at Ferrari though who knows, maybe they extend the olive branch?

It would however be great to see a VW group join up with them as an outside shot.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
And I did not hear anything official about Jenson Button retiring... he did look and sound quite distant in all post race interviews, like he had already checked out.

annunaki

annunaki

It seems that Button is staying for the moment. I don't think Ron is pleased though. I think he really wants Magnussen or Vandoorne in the other car to partner Alonso.

Going back to the Redbull thing for a moment, I think Redbull needs to pick an engine and deal with it. I don't blame them For wanting to pick someone different considering Renault's performance, but pulling out because you can't get an engine deal done seems weak.

It seems odd that they would not be more supportive of a partner that helped them win 4 titles.

It makes you wonder if Renault told them some time ago that they would be coming back and did not want to play second fiddle to a works team.

Then as they were unable to get their own "works" deal done with VW group, the complaining started as they know they are losing one portion of a competitive advantage?

All that seems more likely to me.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It seems that Button is staying for the moment. I don't think Ron is pleased though. I think he really wants Magnussen or Vandoorne in the other car to partner Alonso.

Going back to the Redbull thing for a moment, I think Redbull needs to pick an engine and deal with it. I don't blame them For wanting to pick someone different considering Renault's performance, but pulling out because you can't get an engine deal done seems weak.

It seems odd that they would not be more supportive of a partner that helped them win 4 titles.

It makes you wonder if Renault told them some time ago that they would be coming back and did not want to play second fiddle to a works team.

Then as they were unable to get their own "works" deal done with VW group, the complaining started as they know they are losing one portion of a competitive advantage?

All that seems more likely to me.

I never saw this!

Mercedes already supplies 4 teams, so its no surprise they don't want to do anymore. Ferrari has everything to lose by supplying a competitor like Red Bull. So that only leaves Renault, who has been the worst with adapting to the new 'Power Units.' But Red Bull put the nail in their own casket by publicly complaining about Renault, before securing a new engine.

At the end of the day, its all politics. And as such, I really wish Bernie would die already!

That said, COTA is this weekend! I'll be in Austin on Thursday WOOOO! Anyone going?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
This is Alex reporting live from Austin! We're screwed for today! Austin is a giant flood plain, and the storm is only getting worse as the day goes on. Just staying indoors today.

COTA is very slow to send any info, such as yesterday they have an app for such purposes, but did not say FP2 was canceled til the session ended anyway! We were already gone as 'black death' clouds came in and washed everyone out.

As of right now, COTA has not canceled anything. One important point is that they have very few paved parking lots. The surrounding farm land rents out additional parking. Gonna be more than a few sunken vehicles! I feel it is horribly irresponsible of COTA to not close for today. Between the travel dangers, on top of the strict safety rules employed for the track, nothing will happen today anyway! Keep the fans safe, COTA!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ok just posted, all events delayed til noon. Anyone at the track already is asked to seek shelter near the main grand stands. (Where there's actual buildings, and not just metal structures)

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Howdy Alex,

what a mess, to say the least and thanks for reporting live from COTA :)

Take care yourself and let's hope the storm calms down, in order to have the GP tomorrow afternoon, though:cool:

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Howdy Alex,

what a mess, to say the least and thanks for reporting live from COTA :)

Take care yourself and let's hope the storm calms down, in order to have the GP tomorrow afternoon, though:cool:
Thanks guys! Looks like the storm has lost much of it energy. The rain is expected to lighten this evening (current forecast, but appears to be a lot of guessing) so we are hoping to at least make it to Laredo Cantina for the best Mexican we've ever had!

Given the conditions out there, I am still doubtful qualifying will happen. We are treating this as a forced rest day. F1 reports if no quali today, the starting grid is decided by current points standing.

But all current reports state minimal rain for the race morning and should be clear (although disgustingly humid) by the afternoon.

We did get to see the Historicals run briefly yesterday so I'll post some pics when I can get to a computer.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Glad we never went to the track today. Supposedly they ran practice this morning but every source is conflicting. Quali still hasn't happened, but they are now saying (contradictory to the rules) that they will run quali at 9a CST, if it doesn't clear up enough by 4p today.

Had a nice rest day, which will just make tomorrow that much better for me anyway!

H

hankki

Junior Audioholic
Safety car is about to go out and check the track to see if they will drive today or not.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis