Um12-22x2 vs svs sb13

D

downtroden

Audiophyte
So I've got a spare first gen emotiva xpa-3 sitting in the closet. Looking to upgrade my current sub that's about 16 years old.

Had my eyes on sb13 from svs that gets but rave reviews, but then found dayton ultimax driver and started to change mind. Would buy drivers and prefab boxes and power with two channels of xpa.

Prepro is emotiva umc-1, so I'd expect that to do crossover duty.

Hoping to get opinions from any with experience. Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A Ultimax 12 won't quite have the displacement of a 13 Ultra driver, but it can make for a fine little subwoofer. Two of them should be able to top a 13 Ultra with no problem. It looks like a good project, I say go for it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like the diy option, get dual subs that way and putting gear sitting around to use is a good thing. Which box are you going to get for these drivers?

D

downtroden

Audiophyte
Looking at the bundle that Parts Express offers:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-12-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7096

And then I'll do a veneer & stain to match the rosenut color of the other speakers. Aside from quality (SQ) concerns between the two… is there any issues with having long runs of speaker wire (high power) vs single signal cable? Would it be better to run a balanced signal cable around the room vs 2 speaker wires? Length would be around 40ft (up wall, across ceiling, down other wall to in-wall terminal), I know balanced is good for distance… I've never run a wire that length before to a larger driver.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You will want some heavy gauge speaker wire for a long run. I would look at getting some 12 AWG for 40 ft. As for line level, you might want to use twisted pair shielded for that kind of run, especially if it will be near power cables.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Why the UM12 and not the UM15? That seems like it would be more of a sure performance upgrade from the choice of a SB13 if displacement matters. What are you using the subs for exactly? Is the choice related to the power limitations of the Emotiva amp?

D

downtroden

Audiophyte
Choice is mainly based around power output from amp. But the benefits of multiple subs (from what I've read) surpasses the added cone area.

18" boxes will be easier to integrate into room as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis