ultra high end suggestion

J

jmicron3

Audiophyte
hi,
looking for 5.1 system either in a bundle or separate for 0 compromise sound quality. budget is $50,000. The room's dimension is 17x20 and it will accommodate 2 to 4 people at most. I was looking at these three but suggestions are welcome. :D

Fronts: ADAM Audio Tensor Gamma
Rears: Sonus Faber Liuto Monitor Wood
Centre: Paradigm Signature W5
Subwoofer: Infinity Classia PSW310CH 10" Powered Subwoofer

Still need to get the source components but not sure which one to get and what pre processors to use and whether I need them or not. Also do I need power conditioners or should i just get a regular cheap $100 home theatre power bar from monster?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This is hardly any "xx-end" more like lo-end

+1 for Salk. You should start looking for local RBH Audio dealer and installer. At 50k for audio there a lot of things that can be done to improve audio, like room treatments, calibration etc... These requires high level of expertise - and that this budget you should hire a pro to install the system for you

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I also love Salk but would instead suggest the Soundscape 10 or 12.

Alternatively the vandersteen quatro or 5a includes powered subs
www.vandersteen.com

+1 vote for well done room treatments. Vandersteens and to a lesser degree the Salk's require careful speaker placement for best sound.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For speakers, I would get either the Revel or KEF systems.

The Revel Ultima 2 sytem: Salon2 Front L/R, Voice2 Center, Gem2 Surrounds, Rhythm2 Subwoofer.

The KEF Reference system: 207/2 Front L/R, 204/2 Center, 201/2 Surrounds, 209 Subwoofer.

http://www.revelspeakers.com/ProductDetails.aspx?prdid=2
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/608revel

http://www.kef.com/us/loudspeakers/reference
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/208kef

For pre-pro, I would get the Denon AVR-4311CI.

For amps, I would get something from Parasound or ATI (Amplifier Technologies Inc.)

Like a ATI AT3005 (5 speakers) or AT3007 (7 speakers):

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah, that is an insane combination of speakers for a "high-end" setup. If a dealer recommended that to you, you need to run, not walk, away from that guy.

If I had that much for a 5.1, I would go with some Klipsch Palladium speakers but use the P17 bookshelf speakers for rears instead of the p27s surround speakers, and a couple FW 18.0 subs instead of the Klipsch subs. For a pre-processor I would just get something that has Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 with the sub EQ on it. For amplification, I would just get a stack of monoblock amplifiers from Emotiva. I would take the rest of the money and use it for room treatments.

I wouldn't waste money on a power conditioner unless the electricity is wonky in your area. Also be sure not to get suckered into spending a lot on fancy speaker cables, that is a total scam. Just get your speaker cables from Blue Jeans Cable or Monoprice. I would probably just make some cool looking heavy gauge speaker cable to match the speakers, like these guys are doing.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
And that system looks good.
Yeah, it is gorgeous. If it sounds anything like the Khorns, you are talking about a drop dead gorgeous system that also has serious dynamic ability. Otherwise I would say just get some Khorns or some Seaton Catalysts, but those just don't look nearly as good, but if you are going to blow 50 k on a system, it might as well look nice too.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Interesting list of speakers, are you set on getting on wall speakers for the center? Because on walls will not reproduce sound like a speaker with a full cabinet.

At any rate, I'd suggest the Paradigm Signature s6 as fronts, with the C5 as center and the S2 or ADP3(bipole) if you're listening to mostly movies. So far that's around 14,800 retail(should get a good discount) depending on the bipoles. For subs, I'd go internet direct, to Hsu ULS 15. Two for 2200. They have a small footprint and go down below 15 Hz. Or Rythmik F15HP, again 2 for about 2400. You'd have to spend 4 or 5000 to get the same from Paradigm subs.

I'd second the Parasound amp suggestion, either the Halo A51 or A52, depending on how loud you want to go. But I'd think with that room size, the smaller A52, at 125 watts by 5, will give you up to 110 decibels or more which is ear bleeding loud(I listen at 80 decibels or so). The A51 will give you only 3 more decibels for 2000 extra.

There is many options, though. Let us know your progress.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
hi,
looking for 5.1 system either in a bundle or separate for 0 compromise sound quality. budget is $50,000. The room's dimension is 17x20 and it will accommodate 2 to 4 people at most. I was looking at these three but suggestions are welcome. :D

Still need to get the source components but not sure which one to get and what pre processors to use and whether I need them or not. Also do I need power conditioners or should i just get a regular cheap $100 home theatre power bar from monster?

Why on earth would you mix your speakers up like this? Is your goal to destroy any chance of timbre matching such that surround music and moveis sound like sh?t regardless of the price of the speakers? :confused:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
hi,
looking for 5.1 system either in a bundle or separate for 0 compromise sound quality.
There are always compromises. It is how you make them that counts.

You already have a boat load of bad ones.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmicron3 View Post
hi,
looking for 5.1 system either in a bundle or separate for 0 compromise sound quality. budget is $50,000. The room's dimension is 17x20 and it will accommodate 2 to 4 people at most. I was looking at these three but suggestions are welcome.

Why on earth would you mix your speakers up like this? Is your goal to destroy any chance of timbre matching such that surround music and moveis sound like sh?t regardless of the price of the speakers?
I saw the same thing, if a person wants to invest that much money and notes speakers as noted, maybe they should just invest in a $5000.00 system like PSB Imagine etc... If you have that kind of money get on a plane and go demo hi-end systems and speakers, that way your money and your ears will be well served..

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Its blocked....would you mind cutting and pasting the article? Thanks. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timbre:
Definition according to American National Standards Institutde (ANSI): The combination of qualities of a sound that distinguishes it from other sounds of the same pitch and volume.

Timbre is also known as tone quality or tone color. It is sometimes described as sound quality. The term quality in this context refers to how a sound comes across to a listener as the general character of the sound.

In music, timbre is the quality of a musical note or sound or tone that distinguishes different types of sound production, such as voices or musical instruments. More specifically, timbre enables the listener to identify the source of the sound ( the particular musical instrument making the sound) and according to some musical type such as brass or string instruments. For example, timbre is what people use to distinguish a trumpet from a saxophone if both instruments are playing notes at the same pitch and loudness. No amount of equalization will make the two instruments sound the same.

Pitch:
In music, pitch is the perception of the fundamental frequency of a note. Pitch is something perceived by the human ear, as opposed to frequency, the physical measurement of vibration. Pitch of a sound is determined by the frequency of vibration of the sound waves reaching the ear: the greater the frequency, the higher the pitch.

Pitch can be rank ordered on a scale from low to high and loudness can be arranged on a scale from soft to loud. We generally correlate pitch with fundamental frequency and loudness with intensity.

Timbre is different than pitch and loudness and cannot be reduced to one-dimensional scale. It cannot be related with any one physical dimension of a sound. We cannot say high timbre or low timbre. This makes the definition of timbre very vague.

Timbre and equalization are different by definition and no amount of equalization will have any effect on timbre. Equalization simply increases or decreases the level of certain frequencies. After equalization you can still distinguish between the speakers.

Last edited:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I think the OP just dropped a bomb and ran, not waiting for the fallout.:rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis