TX-SR605 Audyssey woes

AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

Junior Audioholic
I have a temporary set of 5.1 speakers from Boston Acoustics (4x CR57, and CRC7, and a sub whose model escapes me at the moment, but its not important) that I plugged into my new TX-SR605. For some reason, when I first did the Audyssey calibration, it is crushing the high frequency sounds.

This problem exists entirely within the Audyssey's equalizer. I am not sure what is causing it to skew the sound in favor of the lows. Somebody on AVS suggested that the frequency response curve the Audyssey is using favored the lows on his setup, and he just changed it to fix this problem.

The problem in my case is that the 605 doesn't seem to have an option to adjust this. I could just turn off the audyssey equalizer, but then I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to tuning an equalizer by hand.

Does anybody have any idea what I can do to resolve this? Basically the sound problem I am having is that sounds like higher instrument notes (piano and light brass in particular) sound all hollowed out and muffled, but when I turn the equalizer off it sounds sharp and clean. I already tried moving the speakers around in several different configurations, and tried mounting the microphone to a tripod for calibration as well. Nothing seems to work.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The goal of these auto-eq setup routines is to achieve some target response curve, whether it is flat, bass boost, treble emphasis or whatever, by adjusting various frequencies that it measured. If the highs are now muffled it must have measured large peaks at those frequencies and cut them drastically.

AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

Junior Audioholic
I am not sure what would cause it to hit high peaks like that. The Pioneer 816 I had earlier didn't have this kind of problem; it made the highs sound just fine with its MCACC auto-eq (in fact, they sounded great.) The Audyssey one in the 605 makes it sound terrible though. Is there some kind of undocumented way of adjusting the target curve on the 605? It makes no mention if that in the manual.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
It did the opposite in my room. I didn't get enough bass. I just turned down the sub, ran the Audyssey and then turned up the sub a touch. Fixed everything very nicely.

I don't think the Audyssey system allows you to equalize frequencies manually. It does allow you to set things like channel balance manually. Perhaps the answer for you is to shut if off and do the channel balance manually.

AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

Junior Audioholic
the Audyssey thing setup the balance, distance, and other whatnots just fine. But the equalizer is just all wrong. The 605 does have a manual 5-band equalizer with only 12 levels per band, but the audyssey has a 10 band equalizer if I recall correctly. Problem is that you can't adjust that one.

I would use the manual equalizer but I am not very good at finding the proper balance on those. The MCACC on the pioneer unit did a good job, I wish I could just match it with that somehow.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis