Two newer movies that are not broadcast in DD

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
This may sound like a strange question but if someone else has noticed and has a reason for this I'd be happy to hear why. Two movies that were definitely made in the DD/DTS digital 5.1 error but when broadcast are not broadcast in DD. The movies are "The Illusionist" and "The Aviator". I have always been curious why this is the case? Anyone else notice this and possible a reason why?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't know why particularly (bandwidth?) but depends on the service you're getting the movie through as to which version of the audio you'll get. Error was supposed to be era? Made me reread that a coupla times...

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Don't know why particularly (bandwidth?) but depends on the service you're getting the movie through as to which version of the audio you'll get. Error was supposed to be era? Made me reread that a coupla times...
Oh yes sorry, typed too fast should have been "Era". I have Direct TV now but had Cablevision for years and same thing. I just have no idea why these 2 movies which were definitely encoded with DD/DTS only broadcast in 2-channel stereo. Just seems odd, very odd.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh yes sorry, typed too fast should have been "Era". I have Direct TV now but had Cablevision for years and same thing. I just have no idea why these 2 movies which were definitely encoded with DD/DTS only broadcast in 2-channel stereo. Just seems odd, very odd.
I also have Directv, I get 5.1 sound on most things I watch but that could simply be show/channel selection. Are you watching HD or SD channels?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... I just have no idea why these 2 movies which were definitely encoded with DD/DTS only broadcast in 2-channel stereo. Just seems odd, very odd.
Do other movies come through in 5.1 or stereo? If the former, then the server company may not be sending the better audio or they don't have it to send.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do other movies come through in 5.1 or stereo? If the former, then the server company may not be sending the better audio or they don't have it to send.
You mean the latter? Seems to me I used to get 5.1 audio on some of the SD movie channels, after seeing this I went thru a few last nite and all were 2.0....just now scanned a few HD channels and found Spike providing only 2.0 on a movie that definitely can be provided in 5.1.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
You mean the latter? ...
Well, he pointed to 2 movies playing stereo. To me that would indicate that others may be playing 5.1 when so equipped. Or, now the cable company only sends 2 ch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, he pointed to 2 movies playing stereo. To me that would indicate that others may be playing 5.1 when so equipped. Or, now the cable company only sends 2 ch.
Former in your post referred to him getting 5.1 audio thus my confusion with you using that....

He has a sat service but still a level of provider below that, aside from what DirecTv may do with the feed....hard to know but maybe some time over on dbstalk.com or similar might help....

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis