Two contenders left standing

E

elmorage

Audioholic Intern
Been reading and researching an upgrade to my 5.1 for a while now. Already ordered the denon 1713, and the klipsch rw-12d, now it is time for the 5 speakers. I have heard a ton of recommendations and eliminated the cambridge, nht, ascend, and others and settled on two final choices.

4- Hsu HB-1 front and surround
1- Hsu HC-1 center

OR

4- Infinity primus p163 front and surround
1- Infinity primus pc-351 center

There are pros and cons to each set, and annoying restrictions that I need to deal with, just looking for a few opinions to help push me one way or the other. Due to space I need to lay the speakers horizontally( i know it is terrible, but I am willing to accept it) on the first inner shelf of my tv stand. Here is what I have come up with so far:

Hsu Pros - Horn tweeter can rotate to sound better horizontally. Bigger sound? Better quality?
Hsu cons - Higher cost $879, rear port may interfere with solid back stand.

Infinity pros - lower price $500, front ported.
Infinity cons - fixed tweeter worse for horizontal placement

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you had gotten the HSU sub, I would pick the HSU speakers.

But since you are going with Klipsch sub, I'll pick the Infinity Primus.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
My vote goes for HSU. Having had both speakers, I found the HSU being more exciting for movie watching.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… two final choices.

4- Hsu HB-1 front and surround
1- Hsu HC-1 center

OR

4- Infinity primus p163 front and surround
1- Infinity primus pc-351 center

There are pros and cons to each set, and annoying restrictions that I need to deal with, just looking for a few opinions to help push me one way or the other. Due to space I need to lay the speakers horizontally (i know it is terrible, but I am willing to accept it) on the first inner shelf of my tv stand. Here is what I have come up with so far:

Hsu Pros - Horn tweeter can rotate to sound better horizontally. Bigger sound? Better quality?
Hsu cons - Higher cost $879, rear port may interfere with solid back stand.

Infinity pros - lower price $500, front ported.
Infinity cons - fixed tweeter worse for horizontal placement
When you say you must lay the speakers horizontally do you mean only the center speaker or does that include the front left and right speakers?

You may have a big problem with horizontal front left & right speakers. Within one octave of the crossover point between the woofer and tweeter, both will be operating. When two drivers are operating at the same time generating the same sounds, there will be additions and cancellations between them, creating uneven dispersion of sound. If the wooofer & tweeter are arranged vertically, the uneven sound will vary depending on the height of the listener. If the wooofer & tweeter are arranged horizontally, the uneven sound will vary depending on how far off center the listener is seated. The Hsu horn tweeter may be able to rotate (does that mean you can shift it 90° and remount it ?) but that will not address the big problem you will have with horizontal speakers. They will suffer the same as the Infinities.

Most of us have learned to live with this compromise with a center speaker (depending on how far away you sit and how wide the seating extends, this compromise is acceptable), but much fewer do it with the front left & right speakers.

How close to the wall behind them will these speakers be? If close, I'd go with the Infinities because of the front port.

Is it possible to cut openings in the back of stand?

E

elmorage

Audioholic Intern
Yes unfortunately the left and right must also be horizontal. I really have no other option so I just have to live with the lobing issues and try to deal with it. My current speakers are arranged in the same way, so if anything I am already accustomed to it and I would rather have better speakers suffering from the same problem.

Yes that means unscrew the horn and rotate it so the opening is vertical as intended. There would be about 9 inches behind the speaker, and there are little holes in the back wall to accomodate wires.

R

ridikas

Banned
If placement is horizontal, then HSU is the way to go by far. Horns have much better off axis vertical response (now horizontal in your case). HSUs have a somewhat rising top end, but nothing too insulting. Just make sure you get the new MKII versions.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
If they must be horizontal, maybe go with all centers channels?

I have no clue if this is a good idea, but I thought I'd throw it out there to discuss.

E

elmorage

Audioholic Intern
dont have the width to go with all centers... as it is with the left and right sideways plus the center i only have about 2 inches of separation in between each speaker.

currently at two votes for each.. guess these are closer than I thought.

Last edited:
gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
I don't want to make your choices more difficult but since you need a bookshelf with rotatable tweeter like the HSU to use horizontal, the Arx Audio A1b bookshelf has a planar ribbon that can be rotated for horizontal use.

If thats a no go on them or you don't want to add any more choices than I would vote for HSU as well.

Arx

E

elmorage

Audioholic Intern
Just pulled the trigger on the HSU 5.0 set. Thanks again to everyone that offered an opinion, you saved me from buying speakers at best buy.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Congrats on your purchase and I'm sure you won't regret it at all.
Needless to say a short review is expected, though ;)

E

elmorage

Audioholic Intern
Hsu speakers arrived today. Haven't hooked them up yet since I am waiting for a new tv stand, but the appearance is impressive. They seem huge compared to what I had, and the finish is very clean for a $150 speaker. They have also changed the grill attachment from magnets to the typical post/hole design.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Remember to rotate the tweeter horns if you are going to use them horizontally. Also, if you have the space for it, play with the toe-in, ie the intersection of where the tweeters are 'aimed' at, this can change the sound stage a bit.

E

elmorage

Audioholic Intern
Everything is finally hooked up and I couldn't be happier with the hb-1's. LCR is arranged horizontally and tilted up at the listening positions using rumber bumpers. Granted I don't know much about speakers, and haven't auditioned any of the other suggestions, but they sound amazing compared to what I was using.

For all the talk about brightness of horn tweeters, if anything it was my old athena speakers that were bright. Right from the start these just had a fuller, richer sound. My old speakers got kind of whiny at volume, especially with our hardwood floors, and these just seem more substantial and capable.

I have been listening to quite a bit more music since hooking them up, although I guess part of that is due to the new avr having pandora and airplay capability, but they sound great with or without the klipsch sub.

I know there is better out there, maybe even better for my room and ears, but ignorance is bliss and I am just going to enjoy these without wondering about what ifs. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis