Tv settings and new receiver

R

rangerzx3

Enthusiast
I have been slowly upgrading my home audio and just bought the last thing which was a receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-60). My question is I have a blu ray, dish hd box, and PS3 all connected to my tv (LG 47"LH90) via HDMI. My question is I have different picture settings for each component, when I hook up everything through the receiver (just ordered and dont have yet), will I be able to have different pic settings for each source like I did before? Will I have to use the adjustments for each source in the receiver video settings? I assume that the pic settings on my tv are more comprehensive than what will be offered on the receiver? Will the receiver be able to do a good job of pic adjustments? My tv wasnt professionaly calibrated but I did do some ISF settings on the tv that I was verry happy with.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not sure and could easily be wrong, but I haven't heard of any receiver that offers individual video settings for each video input. I think it's gonna pass through any video information it's fed through it'ssongle HDMI output. Can you control the video adjustments on the sources?

R

rangerzx3

Enthusiast
dont know, I havent gotten the receiver yet. I guessed I just assumed the receiver would be able to have video settings for each source.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I think that's a bad assumption. These receivers are audio devices that basically pass video as a convenience while stripping out the sound..

R

rangerzx3

Enthusiast
that was dumb on my part to expect a reveiver to deal with video like that. So really if I want to keep my components video settings, I would need to run through the tv and either use the ARC or an optical cable. But hooking it up that way wont give me the hd sound from the receiver right? The way I understand it HDMI is the only way to get all the new HD audio codecs correct?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You'v epretty much got it. It's a conundrum. The best picture? Video direct to TV. The best soud? Through the receiver.

I'm not too sue that the optical or ARC from the Tv will pass through multi-channel sound to the receiver.

But, the only source that has that requires HD codecs (and HDMI) is Bu-ray. Nothing else goes beyond standard DD 5.1 and can be fed vis digital coa or toslink.

I'm lucky in that I can feed my video directly to my TV and use that for my video selection, and route my audio to my AVR and uws that foraudio selection. Also, that allows me to even use the TV's internal 2.0 speakers without needing to turn on the receiver unless i want to. Having analog audio out on the blu-ray and multi-channel analog inputs on my AVR helps.

Perhaps (hopefully) someone else will come along and be able to offer a more workable solution to this preplexing situation with with you're faced.

If worse comes to worse, perhaps you could only route your Blu-ray through the receiver and "tweak" only that input on the TV to accomodate only that source.

R

rangerzx3

Enthusiast
thanks for all the help. Will I notice much of a difference in the quality of the picture going through the receiver as opposed to going direct to the tv?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Theoretically, no, but since you say you have each individual TV input tweaked for each indifidual source, something is gonna have to give. By feeding everything through the receiver you're gonna lose that ability.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis