T

The Dude

Audiophyte
Anyone know anyting about it or know of a good site. Im planning on tearing into a sony xbr.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The innards of a CRT can be very dangerous. There are very high voltages stored inside that can be lethal. Unless you know what you are doing, I would not recommend messing around inside.

On top of that, according to a friend that has repaired TV's for over 30 years, the Sony CRT TV's are very (overly) complicated and very difficult to repair. Plus their reliability has become steadily worse over the years and he has not recommended them for years due to the fact that they simply do not last and are very expensive and hard to repair.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Good luck..

I used to repair TV's many years ago. When it came down to board switching and modular construction I got out of it. The cost to keep stock of the needed inventory became prohibitive and troubleshooting down to the component level is not as easy as you think.

Heed the other guy's advice and pay the tech what he asks. His knowledge, inventory, test equipment and experience is generally worth it.

Last edited:
D

Dryseals

Audioholic Intern
The Dude said:
Anyone know anyting about it or know of a good site. Im planning on tearing into a sony xbr.
I usd to do TV repair, many many years ago. If this is a tube type TV then you can figure the tube will have 1000 volts per inch roughly on the cathode that needs to be discharged before you mess with it. So a 25" screen will have 25000 volts waiting for you, thats a conservative estimate, it may be much higher. You nee to ground it before you get into it and if you don't know what you are doing, chances are you'll get zapped. It probably will not kill you, but it'll make you jump back quickly. So if you decide to try it, clear yourself a path so you don't hurt yourself pulling away quickly.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis