TV / AVR network connections

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
Would a Smart TV with wireless connectivity and an ARC HDMI output be about the same as an AVR with the same capabilities?

I would assume that I would not need both, therefore opening up my selection on both types of units.

Thanks in advance.

Thailand

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Bahtman. If by "AVR," you mean an A/V Receiver, then no - they are not the same. Whether that matters depends on what else you have in your system. For example, almost no TVs these days will power a set of external speakers, but an AVR will. If you intend to use a soundbar with an HDMI input, then it's entirely possible that an AVR won't add much to your experience.

What do you plan to connect up to the TV or AVR?

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
I'm building a house now here in Thailand and kind of a "room within a room" as construction materials here are cement and block.

I envision a 65-70" TV and have noticed that many are "wireless ready" for network connection. I'm assuming that this means internet connectivity and the "reviewer" also used a wireless keyboard on this particular Samsung TV demo.

That being said, wouldn't having an TV HDMI output to the Audio/Video Receiver allow playback over a system I've not yet bought?

I'm looking and Onkyo TXNR, Denon ARV, Yamaha RXV series ect., some of which are wireless and bluetooth ready, some needing an additional adapter. Id like to end up with a 7.1, using front wides/highs as I have no location for rears. Klipsch offers a wireless sub that might help me and I may go that route

If I could use the tv's capabilities, or AVR's capabilities it would widen the market for me, as I wouldn't need both.

The only other connection would be a BR player, for now.

Hopefully, I've given you the answers you need to offer up some proper advise.

Thanks

Mike

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
Would anyone care to share their knowledge here on this connectivity question?

If I could use the tv's wireless capabilities with HDMI ARC to the AVR would I need an AVR that had wireless connectivity as well?
Are they one and the same?

I'm talking about streaming music from my computer to the tv using the AVR and connected speakers for playback.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Mike. Sorry for the delay.

I understand your question, now. You'll need to check the streaming capabilities of the equipment and make sure it will do what you want. To directly answer your question, you don't need the same streaming capability in both the TV and receiver. Check carefully, though, before you decide. TVs will stream services that aren't available on receivers, and vice versa. There are a couple of considerations that come to my mind:

1. Convenience - Even if the TV will stream the audio files/internet services that you want, you should consider if you want to always have to have the TV turned on to listen to those. Being able to play them through the receiver may be very convenient (and save on electricity).

2. Receivers (at least the ones that I've seen) won't stream video. Unless that has changed, and if you want to stream video services and/or files, then you'll want that ability in either your TV or some other component. You can buy dedicated media streamers for less than $100 US, and a number of blu ray players have built in streaming capabilities.

3. A number of receivers will stream internet radio stations, but I haven't seen that in TVs.

So, just double check the different streaming services and capabilities, and think about how you'd like to use your system.

Buildsafire51

Buildsafire51

Enthusiast
Hi, Mike. Sorry for the delay.

I understand your question, now. You'll need to check the streaming capabilities of the equipment and make sure it will do what you want. To directly answer your question, you don't need the same streaming capability in both the TV and receiver. Check carefully, though, before you decide. TVs will stream services that aren't available on receivers, and vice versa. There are a couple of considerations that come to my mind:

1. Convenience - Even if the TV will stream the audio files/internet services that you want, you should consider if you want to always have to have the TV turned on to listen to those. Being able to play them through the receiver may be very convenient (and save on electricity).

2. Receivers (at least the ones that I've seen) won't stream video. Unless that has changed, and if you want to stream video services and/or files, then you'll want that ability in either your TV or some other component. You can buy dedicated media streamers for less than $100 US, and a number of blu ray players have built in streaming capabilities.

3. A number of receivers will stream internet radio stations, but I haven't seen that in TVs.

So, just double check the different streaming services and capabilities, and think about how you'd like to use your system.
Totally Agree with what has been said above... there are also more inexpensive streaming devices that can stream through your TV, like a Roku Stick, etc... You could listen to music from that, but you'd have to check their music apps on Roku's website to see if there is one you would like. Just a thought.

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the info. I wasn't thinking about having the tv on whilst in use. :eek:

And I've looked at the Roku Stick nd others but, being in Thailand the'd probably not do me much good.

Cheers

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Would a Smart TV with wireless connectivity and an ARC HDMI output be about the same as an AVR with the same capabilities?
Wireless connectivity is exclusively a network item. It is a way to connect Internet enabled devices, such as a smart TV, or your Blu-ray Disc player, or a laptop to the Internet and your home network without wires. It should not be confused with a video connection such as HDMI. You can't get full Blu-ray quality video from a wireless TV connection.

Audio return channel (ARC) is something completely different and is designed to allow you to feed a ARC enabled A/V receiver surround sound from an ARC enabled television. It does not support HD audio from what I have read, but does support other surround sound formats. At this point, it appears that ARC requires that HDMI-CEC be turned on. (stupid requirement)

If your goal is to have a surround sound setup in your home, then you need an A/V receiver. A TV is designed to power the speakers inside the TV exclusively. It doesn't run external speakers or a subwoofer. It doesn't have the connectivity for that. So, if you want surround sound of some sort, then you will still be required to have an external A/V receiver.

If you are in the middle of construction right now, and your A/V receiver won't be near your TV so you can run wires easily later, then you should install 2 HDMI cables and 3 cat-6 cables between the A/V receiver and the TV, and you should run networking to both locations from your network router location or a central network switch location.
...OR....
Run 1.25" or large conduit between the TV and the A/V receiver location so you can put in cables later.

You still will want a hard wired Internet connection in place no matter what.

Wireless, on A/V devices, generally sucks. You want to use the hard wired connection.

Keep in mind that wireless pretty much is just for certain specific features which vary from device to device and from TV to TV. Some TVs can connect to some Internet enabled applications (Netflix) while others can stream photos from your home network. Still others can download all sorts of applications for Internet usage, and play back photos, music, and videos from your home network.

The quality of these players and the functionality offered from TVs, A/V receivers, etc. varies significantly from product to product to product. Many people find that building a dedicated home theater computer (HTPC) is a great way to do things. Others buy dedicated media players such as Dune or Popcorn Hour. Some people prefer dedicated Internet streaming devices such as Roku. While others may prefer the iTunes-centric AppleTV with AirPlay.

The only thing I can say is that during construction, get your wires in place where you want/need them. Putting in a few extra wires now, that never get used is a lot better than wishing you had run one or two extra wires that were never run. It can cost thousands of dollars to get new wires in place in the future and just hundreds to put them in now.

What your specific goal is will determine how everything should be setup.

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
Wireless connectivity is exclusively a network item. It is a way to connect Internet enabled devices, such as a smart TV, or your Blu-ray Disc player, or a laptop to the Internet and your home network without wires.
Understood

If your goal is to have a surround sound setup in your home, then you need an A/V receiver.
Shopping now,with limited selection available here.

you should install 2 HDMI cables and 3 cat-6 cables between the A/V receiver and the TV, and you should run networking to both locations from your network router location or a central network switch location.

TV/AVR will be close with connections easy, other than cat 6 for networking and surround speaker wires.
If I can't get them to go over head, I'll need to cut a grove in the concrete floor and run a raceway there.

Thanks for the detailed information.. A great help. +1

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis