TV audio to Receiver

K

ktmbilly3

Audiophyte
Kinda stumped , I can't figure out how to get my TV audio working through my receiver to my speakers.I have the settings right on my TV , just can't figure out the receiver part .Receiver is a Yamaha HTR-6290 and the TV is a LG UF7700 65in.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Kinda stumped , I can't figure out how to get my TV audio working through my receiver to my speakers.I have the settings right on my TV , just can't figure out the receiver part .Receiver is a Yamaha HTR-6290 and the TV is a LG UF7700 65in.
Your TV does not support HDMI audio return.

So the only way to do this is to use the optical digital out on the TV. You will need a Toslink fiber cable from your TV to an optical in on your receiver. You need to assign that input to the TV in the receiver set up menu.

Really the only reason to get audio out of TV is is if your are using an over air signal.

It is much better to connect all sources to the receiver and just have one HDMI cable from receiver to TV.

I know TVs are smart, but putting that technology in a TV is dumb. It is the wrong box to put it in.

The only control you should regularly use on a TV is the on/off button.

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Connect all the sources to the receiver. Then connect the HDMI out from the receiver to the TV.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Your TV does not support HDMI audio return.
Are you sure? It's hard to imagine that a 4K television would not support ARC.

So the only way to do this is to use the optical digital out on the TV. You will need a Toslink fiber cable from your TV to an optical in on your receiver. You need to assign that input to the TV in the receiver set up menu.
Agreed, because the receiver does not support ARC (it's the same as the Yamaha RX-V1900 which is HDMI profile 1.3)

Really the only reason to get audio out of TV is is if your are using an over air signal.
Unless OP is using the SmartTV part of the television.

It is much better to connect all sources to the receiver and just have one HDMI cable from receiver to TV.
Unless one of the sources is 4K.

I know TVs are smart, but putting that technology in a TV is dumb. It is the wrong box to put it in.
Agreed, but it's often the most efficient way to stream 4K content (assuming the television supports it, I didn't look into that).

The only control you should regularly use on a TV is the on/off button.
You aren't kidding there. If the OP truly wants that to be the case he needs to upgrade the AVR.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Are you sure? It's hard to imagine that a 4K television would not support ARC.

Agreed, because the receiver does not support ARC (it's the same as the Yamaha RX-V1900 which is HDMI profile 1.3)

Unless OP is using the SmartTV part of the television.

Unless one of the sources is 4K.

Agreed, but it's often the most efficient way to stream 4K content (assuming the television supports it, I didn't look into that).

You aren't kidding there. If the OP truly wants that to be the case he needs to upgrade the AVR.
An HDMI audio return was not mentioned in the spec sheet of the TV or the receiver. If it is present is is usually touted in the spec sheet. I admit I did not download the manuals.

If you are going to use 4K from the TV, you will have second class audio. HDMI return only supports two channel. Digital Toslink does not support the loss less codecs.

4K as far as I'm concerned is a non issue. At most listening distances, including my theater, you would not tell 2K from 4K.

The next issue is that NONE of these 4K screens are nearly as good as my high end 2K Panasonic plasmas. I continue to look at screens every chance I get, and even the most expensive do not come close in overall quality to the two Panasonic screens my wife and I enjoy.

4K is just market driven nonsense. What the industry needs to do is going back to getting screens as good as they used to be, and then may be worry about 4K.

Trouble is it won't be long before people forget how phenomenally good those older screens were.

4K is absolutely not worth poorer audio, and not likely worth lick of spittle on current screens.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
An HDMI audio return was not mentioned in the spec sheet of the TV or the receiver. If it is present is is usually touted in the spec sheet. I admit I did not download the manuals.

If you are going to use 4K from the TV, you will have second class audio. HDMI return only supports two channel. Digital Toslink does not support the loss less codecs.

4K as far as I'm concerned is a non issue. At most listening distances, including my theater, you would not tell 2K from 4K.

The next issue is that NONE of these 4K screens are nearly as good as my high end 2K Panasonic plasmas. I continue to look at screens every chance I get, and even the most expensive do not come close in overall quality to the two Panasonic screens my wife and I enjoy.

4K is just market driven nonsense. What the industry needs to do is going back to getting screens as good as they used to be, and then may be worry about 4K.

Trouble is it won't be long before people forget how phenomenally good those older screens were.

4K is absolutely not worth poorer audio, and not likely worth lick of spittle on current screens.

I suppose it's possible it does not have ARC, would just be strange if it didn't. Maybe ARC is passing into legacy and they no longer feel the need to give it enough credence to mention it in the specifications. :confused:

I agree with you about the clear lack of benefits of 4K displays, although OP's display is quite large at 65" so it may possibly make a small difference for them. The only thing that could possibly supplant your Panasonic Plasmas that is currently in production would be an OLED. I'm not sure that OLED is really that far along yet though, but the potential seems to be there.

OP should be using the optical output from the television to the receiver if the television's on-board hardware is the source (OTA or Applications such as Netflix or other streaming service).

LG does not mention on their specs page anything about HDCP 2.0, so I am going to assume it does not support it. This means that it will not be compatible with 4K Blu-ray as I understand it. Hopefully LG can offer a firmware update to add HDCP 2.0 compliance, otherwise that's a giant waste of the OP's hard earned money.

EDIT: I was mistaken. It's HDCP 2.2 compliance that is required and it does appear that this model does support it. Sorry for the misinformation.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis