Turntables outsell CD players in the UK

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Lease suprising news ever.

I believe better shops that don't sell 'cheap' DVD players might report BD players outselling DVD players this year.

I mean, who buys CD players? DVD/BD players have all the necessary DACs required for the same quality, and better ones have better DACs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What's a CD player?

They still make that?

I'll be surprise when Turntables outsell DVD players.:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A very interesting survey. For the size of the population though the receiver and HT market seems very small in the UK
From my understanding, the Brits don't like the "universal" theme as in CD/DVD/BluRay/DVD/SACD player. They rather have dedicate seperates which would explain the low sales of receivers as well.

s162216

s162216

Full Audioholic
From my understanding, the Brits don't like the "universal" theme as in CD/DVD/BluRay/DVD/SACD player. They rather have dedicate seperates which would explain the low sales of receivers as well.
The low sales of receivers are also likely to be partly due to the fact that most of the people in my country (the UK) live in semi-detached or terraced housing so its difficult to play music/films loud without annoying neighbours. The Police and councils are quite strict about noise disturbances as well, get reported 3 times and they can fine you and/or confiscate your HT stuff. TLS Guy will likely agree with as well seeing as we had a little discussion about it previously a while ago in another thread.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Given the fact that, as a rule, CD players are very reliable and do not need to be replaced very often, I would expect that sales of them would be relatively low, particularly as DVD players and BD players usually (if not always) play CDs as well. A more telling statistic would be on the sales of discs rather than players.

Cristofori

Cristofori

Audioholic
Lease suprising news ever.
I mean, who buys CD players? DVD/BD players have all the necessary DACs required for the same quality, and better ones have better DACs.
I do, and apparently a host of others do also, judging from the upscale CD player market.

Although I don't have the answers for this, It has been my experience that the average Uni-disc player cannot compete with a high quality dedicated CD/SACD player, and most are not as reliable, built as well or last as long.

At least that has been the case in the past.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis