turntable with automatic arm question

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
mums the word

Your cable rec is the most similar to what is already on my TT. I'm a little concerned about shielding but as many anti-LP types would be happy to point out, how would I be able to tell induced noise apart from the rice crispy noise of an album anyway?
Induced noise would me more of a hum then the rice crispies sound. I'm trying to find a way of reducing the rice crispies sound from static build up on the record itself without resorting to a fluid likediscwasher.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Induced noise would me more of a hum then the rice crispies sound. I'm trying to find a way of reducing the rice crispies sound from static build up on the record itself without resorting to a fluid likediscwasher.
Do you use an anti-static brush on your records before playing them?

If not, then that is my first suggestion.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you use an anti-static brush on your records before playing them?

If not, then that is my first suggestion.
I'm using an original disc washer brush bought back in the late 70s.... I still have it. Maybe it needs replacing. :oops:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I gave my brush away once I got that TLS recommended Dust Bug thing. I don't have induced hum. The albums get played and I make a decision based on rice crispy noise if the album stays in the collection. The albums that don't make the cut either go into a dumpster or to a friend who has lower standards than I. Therefore I don't have rice crispy issues either.

I do have Brothers in Arms on vinyl, CD and SACD and I know it pretty well. Whenever I do pull my rack out to redo some wire stuff I'll be able to use that record to test the wires out for any audible differences. I never would have given it a second thought if it wasn't for TLS but now I'll at least conduct a little bit of a test ... eventually ... maybe.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Use another way of static control, friend of mine uses (and made me one) for freshly ground coffee a piece of frayed lamp cord both wires attached to a 3-prong plug, but wired only to the ground. Works on coffee with my grinder, should destat a record well enuf.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I gave my brush away once I got that TLS recommended Dust Bug thing. I don't have induced hum. The albums get played and I make a decision based on rice crispy noise if the album stays in the collection. The albums that don't make the cut either go into a dumpster or to a friend who has lower standards than I. Therefore I don't have rice crispy issues either.

I do have Brothers in Arms on vinyl, CD and SACD and I know it pretty well. Whenever I do pull my rack out to redo some wire stuff I'll be able to use that record to test the wires out for any audible differences. I never would have given it a second thought if it wasn't for TLS but now I'll at least conduct a little bit of a test ... eventually ... maybe.
Where did you pick up your Dust Bug?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Where did you pick up your Dust Bug?
They show up on eBay every so often. I think TLS probably shared the link because it was reasonably priced.

Oh, I bought those anti static sleeves too. Some of the old ones are worn, torn and dirty so the replacement is better if it matters.

When I did have a variety of brushes at the beginning of vinyl madness, I needed them to get the hard dirt off of newly acquired LP's but now the LP's all pretty decent or gone so the dust bug is ezpz maintenance. I had a chance to buy another at a Boston Audio Society swap type of thing but I passed. I already had one. It's weird how wobbly the base is but it's still attached. I wipe the brush head off on black tee shirts to see if how dirty the record is. I figure the cleaning effect is cumulative to a degree.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis