turntable with automatic arm question

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
just back for a quick question :D

since the TT automatically puts the arm on to the record and off the record when finished, how do I select a song in the middle?

i haven't bought it yet. i want to be sure i don't break it during it's first go round.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Selecting a song in the middle is done by waiting. :D

I had an automatic linear tracking TT that would actually do just what you're talking about and it would play one track on repeat. I think I painted my whole bathroom to Secret Agent Man.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
just back for a quick question :D

since the TT automatically puts the arm on to the record and off the record when finished, how do I select a song in the middle?

i haven't bought it yet. i want to be sure i don't break it during it's first go round.
Do not get a semiautomatic turntable. Get a fully manual one. The stylus has quite enough trouble working against the friction of very precise bearings, without having the encumbrance of levers and switches below the deck. Any turntable that has any extra mechanism attached to the base of the arm is a compromised one.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
was looking at the full automatic thorens td158 or the manual rega rp1 or rp3

a lot of people are saying to just get the rp3 and be done with it, but it's more than double the price of the other two.

highfigh

highfigh

was looking at the full automatic thorens td158 or the manual rega rp1 or rp3

a lot of people are saying to just get the rp3 and be done with it, but it's more than double the price of the other two.
So, why not get the RP2? How much better is the RP3, really? The main point- what is the condition of the LPs you'll be playing? If they're not pristine, you won't realize any value in the price difference you would be paying.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i dont think there's an rp2 (at least not here)
that really is the next level up.

i'll be using new records. i just wanted to try TT's and see what the fuss is about.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

i'll be using new records. i just wanted to try TT's and see what the fuss is about.
I think the rp1 will be more than adequate for a starter turntable and will leave money in hand for a cartridge upgrade.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My first good player 40 some odd years ago was a Dual automatic but I was made to feel guilty with all those extra mechanisms the more I read the 'zines so I went pure manual with the next one (and my current one 30 plus years later... I'm not complaining about simple durable mechanisms).

However, there were moments afterwards, those many years ago, where I do remember this not being particularly worth audio "purity" during romantic interludes and trying to keep the mood going when that brief album side went into the painful run-out groove sound....much prefer my digital playlists to keep from having to jump up and change records. :)

highfigh

highfigh

You're right- I guess they disco'd it.

highfigh

highfigh

My first good player 40 some odd years ago was a Dual automatic but I was made to feel guilty with all those extra mechanisms the more I read the 'zines so I went pure manual with the next one (and my current one 30 plus years later... I'm not complaining about simple durable mechanisms).

However, there were moments afterwards, those many years ago, where I do remember this not being particularly worth audio "purity" during romantic interludes and trying to keep the mood going when that brief album side went into the painful run-out groove sound....much prefer my digital playlists to keep from having to jump up and change records. :)
That's a good time to have a cassette deck or open reel machine with auto-reverse.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's a good time to have a cassette deck or open reel machine with auto-reverse.
I did have the cassette deck after a while, then a cd player but never pulled the trigger on the Teac 3340 (think that was the model I kept looking at)....

highfigh

highfigh

I did have the cassette deck after a while, then a cd player but never pulled the trigger on the Teac 3340 (think that was the model I kept looking at)....
I had a 3300 in the late-70s/early-'80s and it was very good. Had it calibrated at the stereo store where I worked and did a couple of live recordings with Maxell tape. I sold it in about '83 and ran into the guy less than 5 years ago- he still has it and it still works great.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a hangup of cueing up a song that is not the starting track for fear of prematurely wearing out the grooves. My thinking is that the arm isn't completely free of the cueing lever as it begin to enter the groove which applies additional friction to the groove until the tonearm is freely floating.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a hangup of cueing up a song that is not the starting track for fear of prematurely wearing out the grooves. My thinking is that the arm isn't completely free of the cueing lever as it begin to enter the groove which applies additional friction to the groove until the tonearm is freely floating.
First time I've ever heard this one.....I usually hit the silent part anyways when I cue up a particular track but since a side of a record is relatively short anyways, haven't done this much since making cassette mix tapes :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
First time I've ever heard this one.....I usually hit the silent part anyways when I cue up a particular track but since a side of a record is relatively short anyways, haven't done this much since making cassette mix tapes :)
It's just my thinking and I could be off in the process. I try and hit the silent part but it's a high n miss thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's just my thinking and I could be off in the process. I try and hit the silent part but it's a high n miss thing.
How about cueing it without the record moving? I have quick start up on my tt, have done that when making mix tapes....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis