Turntable suggestions!

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
I`m in the market for a new TT as my Revolver Rebel is 20-yrs old and I feel it`s time.

My budget is $2,000-$4,000 USD ($2,500-$5000 CDN).

I`ll be using my current cartridge (see sig) as it`s less than 6 months old.

I`m really liking the VPI Aries 3, but I want your opinions and suggestions on it and other TT`s I should consider.

I`m off next week and plan on visiting about 4-5 high-end audio dealers for some auditioning.

John

P.S. - Mods! If this thread is not in the right forum discussion group, please move!

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
No suggestions at all?

No vinyl lovers on Audioholics?

John

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
AVID - DIVA II?

Pro-Ject Perspective?

REGA - P9?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73850

One of the best commercial turntable available. Completely over engineered in virtually every way for optimum neutrality. If you want a turntable that will impart as little sound as possible this is the one to get. Doesn't hurt that it looks great too...

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Clearaudio certainly makes a great product and its one of my considerations, although I'm having trouble locating a dealer to audition it.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The ClearAudio suggestions made so far (the Clearaudio Performance and the Marantz TT-15S1) are ONLY if you want a neutral table system. Both the table and arms on these are remarkable in terms of low coloration/low resonance. Both use the same arm, but the Performance uses the carbon fiber tube, while the Marantz uses the aluminum tube. The arm is really out of place on the price range of the Marantz. It is far above the build quality/performance of the typical arms found on tables in this price range. For more details on the arm, I'll fill you in if interested. In fact, this arm is found on $6,000 tables, and the arm costs $1200 by itself from the cheapest source. Actually, the materials and manufacture method of the Marantz are virtually unheard of for the price. Clear Audio does not take cost cutting short cuts so far as I can tell. Their primary concern appears to be quality/performance and they seem to have a huge amount of pride in their products. The Performance has a bit thicker platter then the Marantz, and the Performance has the ultra low friction magnetic repel bearing, though the bearing on the Marantz is also 1st rate, but it's a physical contact bearing - not the magnetic bearing like on the Performance. No matter which one you pick, they simply will not add much of anything to your sound. But some people want a table with more, uhm, 'contribution' to the sound. In fact, I would say most want a more distinct signature/coloration added to their vinyl rig 'sound'. But, if you are wanting highest degree of neutrality/lowest noise floor - the CA units are superb. After a few years of consideration, I finally purchased a CA table for myself(I purchased the Marantz TT-15S1). The 2nd runner up consideration was a VPI Scout, but the arm on the Marantz was more impressive.

-Chris

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I use high density and low density acryrilic at work, that base and platter costs less than 10 dollars.

Technics 1210 mk. 5

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
That Marantz TT is actually available at one of the dealers in my area. Will go have a listen with my own vinyl in hand to see if I like it.

John

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I use high density and low density acryrilic at work, that base and platter costs less than 10 dollars.
Just a FYI...while it may not produce any useful increase in performance( I don't know if there is a difference in the resonant performance), the Marantz table does not use standard grade acrylic. It uses a GS grade aircraft window acrylic - which costs many times more than normal grade acrylic. The platter is a 1.2" thick silicone-dampened acrylic. I don't know what that material costs.

But heck, let's just pretend it uses normal grade acrylics. Most manufacturers use about 50 cents worth of MDF for the table chassis these days. And the aluminum Panasonic uses to cast the Technics chassis with is not exactly worth much.

I thought the point was the end-result of the design and it's function, not the raw material worth used in the product.

What is your point?

The Technics table's weak point is it's arm, which is highly resonant and has several weak points. But if one will replace the arm, it can be a 1st class table, assuming the specific cartridge one chooses does not pick up any hum/EMF from the power supply in the Technics.

-Chris

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
That Marantz TT is actually available at one of the dealers in my area. Will go have a listen with my own vinyl in hand to see if I like it.

John
Perhaps see if it's possible to try your preferred cartridge. Of course, the cartridge will dominate the sound of this table - so the included cartridge could easily put you off if you don't like it's response.

-Chris

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Perhaps see if it's possible to try your preferred cartridge. Of course, the cartridge will dominate the sound of this table - so the included cartridge could easily put you off if you don't like it's response.

-Chris
If I were to decide on this TT (or any other for that matter) that is something I would definately pass by the dealer as a prerequisite for purchase. My Grado Reference Platinum is less than 6 months old and I like its sound. In fact, I like the "Grado" sound, if that can be said.

John

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
If I were to decide on this TT (or any other for that matter) that is something I would definately pass by the dealer as a prerequisite for purchase. My Grado Reference Platinum is less than 6 months old and I like its sound. In fact, I like the "Grado" sound, if that can be said.

John
One more issue..... the dealer may have the felt mat on the platter. This is not ideal. The acrylic platter here is designed to dampen the record. If the dealer is using the felt mat, the mat must not only be removed, but the VTA must be reset for the absence of the mat, or the vertical angle error may cause tracking problems. The VTF is easy to adjust with a hex wrench using a single screw on the side of the deck that locks the set height of the tone arm.

If you did buy the table, and have the dealer put it together and set it up for you, make sure you get all of the parts including the tone arm mounting base. The Marantz does not use the tone arm mounting base since they machined the plynth to directly accept the arm. But if you ever wanted to use that arm on another table, you need the machined arm base. Marantz includes the arm base with the table in case you ever want to use the arm on another table, FYI. So it SHOULD be included with your parts.

-Chris

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
I've got some running around to do and having an intimate evening with my girlfriend, so I must leave the topic for now. (Can you blame me?;)

Back on track tomorrow guys! Have a good one!

John

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis