Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
image.jpg
i finished my little garage project. I couldn't find a decent turntable stand that didn't look or feel cheap without spending $300-500+, so I decided to make my own. I borrowed designs from Internet photos. Found a great set of metal hairpin legs on the net as well. Solid red oak. I paid too much for the boards, but the only available material locally is Home Depot. Dimensions are 30 x 15 x ~33 inches. Dark mahogany min wax stain with semigloss sealer.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
View attachment 18016 i finished my little garage project. I couldn't find a decent turntable stand that didn't look or feel cheap without spending $300-500+, so I decided to make my own. I borrowed designs from Internet photos. Found a great set of metal hairpin legs on the net as well. Solid red oak. I paid too much for the boards, but the only available material locally is Home Depot. Dimensions are 30 x 15 x ~33 inches. Dark mahogany min wax stain with semigloss sealer.
The hairpin legs give it a great 1950's style retro look for a turntable. Nice DIY project!

Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
image.jpeg
Thank you very much. I hadn't placed it yet, as I didn't yet have connector cables. Here is an update...

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I saw the prices of pre-finished trim pieces in HD. Like 20 and 30 dollars a stick!

What about anchoring that to the wall and eliminating the legs? Even if you keep the legs, a well placed screw anchoring that box to a stud will prevent foot traffic from rattling the TT. Looks great.

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
Those legs look great, really great, but depending on floor construction and other factors they may act as springs/tuning forks and amplify resonant frequencies. I'd consider some kind of isolation from the floor/attachment to the wall stud as suggested.

Might work just fine, though.

[Edit] Oops, late night dark laptop screen. Just noticed the tubular pads on the bottom of the legs. Nice.

Last edited:
Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
I used a half inch piece of pipe insulation to keep from scratching the floor, but it acts like an isolator for vibration as well. It certainly could be anchored to the wall. A floating cabinet would be really neat as well!

Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
Home Depot had these 1x4 at about $3.50 per linear foot. I glued them together using 5/16 dowels as well. It's very stout and weighs about 30-35 pounds.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
View attachment 18076 Thank you very much. I hadn't placed it yet, as I didn't yet have connector cables. Here is an update...
There it is! Curious, how far do you have to run cable to the pre/avr? Picking up no extra vibrations by walking/dancing near the tt?

I do believe my dad (or more likely his step-dad) made something with those sort of legs, think they were tables....faint memories of 50 plus years ago....

Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
The run is about 10 feet. My TT has a built in preamp. I bought the very best cables Bluejeans Cables makes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis