Turntable/speakers problem!

A

arkmandluxe

Audiophyte
I need help setting up audio for turntables. I hooked up my turntable to my dj mixer. I need to know can I plug my dj mixer into a amplifier and that from amplifier to passive speakers? Do I need a phono preamp if i will be using an amplifier?

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
If the amp doesn't have a phono input, then you need a separate phono pre-amp.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I need help setting up audio for turntables. I hooked up my turntable to my dj mixer. I need to know can I plug my dj mixer into a amplifier and that from amplifier to passive speakers? Do I need a phono preamp if i will be using an amplifier?
Yes you will need a phono preamp. PU cartridges put out 1.5 to 4.5 MV. Line level is two Volts. However a PU cartridge outputs to the RIAA curve which has a big HF boost.

The phono amp will amplify the cartridge to line level, at the same time providing the correct EQ for the RIAA curve.

You can order one here.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
He is plugging it into a dj mixer, that IS a phono pre-amp.

Just make sure to connect the turntable into the first channels PHONO inputs, and ground it onto the mixer. Turn on the mixer and move the crossfader to the channel you selected it on, you'll probably want the levels of channel one on 0db.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
He is plugging it into a dj mixer, that IS a phono pre-amp.

Just make sure to connect the turntable into the first channels PHONO inputs, and ground it onto the mixer. Turn on the mixer and move the crossfader to the channel you selected it on, you'll probably want the levels of channel one on 0db.
Since when did all DJ mixers have a phono stage? I have seen a few in my time, but I don't recall hem having a phono stage, but may be I'm forgetful.

I any event I'm certain not all fader channels will have RIAA EQ, so the OP will have to read his manual.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Since when did all DJ mixers have a phono stage? I have seen a few in my time, but I don't recall hem having a phono stage, but may be I'm forgetful.

I any event I'm certain not all fader channels will have RIAA EQ, so the OP will have to read his manual.
That's in the phono inputs, so when he has channel one set to phono (usually a switch on the front or top/face depending on the mixer) he is ready to go (he'll need to do that in order to get any sound anyways).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis