B

Burnz

Audioholic Intern
I acquired a Technics SL-1400 from a guy. It was free and looks to be brand new. He said he only used it a few times. Are these things any good? I dont own any records but I've seen them at the local shop. Thing is they are pretty pricey for the music I would buy. I was just curious if its a decent turntable and how different the music sounds. I'm not opposed to it, just dont want to waste money if its not worth it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I acquired a Technics SL-1400 from a guy. It was free and looks to be brand new. He said he only used it a few times. Are these things any good? I dont own any records but I've seen them at the local shop. Thing is they are pretty pricey for the music I would buy. I was just curious if its a decent turntable and how different the music sounds. I'm not opposed to it, just dont want to waste money if its not worth it.
Here are the specs...

Technics SL-1400 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

It appears to be good table. What I would do is go down a used record store an buy an album that you may already own in another format and play it for yourself to see if you like the sound. That is the only way you can judge for yourself.

B

Burnz

Audioholic Intern
Here are the specs...

Technics SL-1400 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

It appears to be good table. What I would do is go down a used record store an buy an album that you may already own in another format and play it for yourself to see if you like the sound. That is the only way you can judge for yourself.
Yes, good idea. My receiver actually has a phono hookup. Not sure if that makes a difference or not? I'm definetaly interested in hearing this thing.
Thanks

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, good idea. My receiver actually has a phono hookup. Not sure if that makes a difference or not? I'm definetaly interested in hearing this thing.
Thanks
Then you are good to go. :) I enjoy vinyl more than CD because I feel more invovlement than just listening to CDs or files from a computer. :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
There is more to this than just the sound as 3 db stated.
Some vinyl may sound better than a CD or other optic disc but that is not a shortcoming of the optical disc but of mastering it to the disc. Vinyl's technical spec and capability though is not as good as an optical disc.
By the way, you do need a turntable capable equipment as the signal is much weaker than cd inputs and, the equipment needs software to correct the vinyl mastering frequency response.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Some vinyl may sound better than a CD or other optic disc but that is not a shortcoming of the optical disc but of mastering it to the disc. Vinyl's technical spec and capability though is not as good as an optical disc.
By the way, you do need a turntable capable equipment as the signal is much weaker than cd inputs and, the equipment needs software to correct the vinyl mastering frequency response.
The OP mentioned that he has a phono input on his receiver. ;) Unless the turntable has a MM cartridge instead of a MC cartridge, he should be good to go.

I do agree with the sloppy mastering of optical disk although sloppy mastering isn't relegated to just opitical disk. There are a few vinyl in my collection that make me shudder..... :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The OP mentioned that he has a phono input on his receiver. ;) Unless the turntable has a MM cartridge instead of a MC cartridge, he should be good to go.

I do agree with the sloppy mastering of optical disk although sloppy mastering isn't relegated to just opitical disk. There are a few vinyl in my collection that make me shudder..... :)
Thanks. I was trying to answer this part of his 2nd message
Not sure if that makes a difference or not?
that it matters:D

And, yes, absolutely, vinyl can be poorly mastered as well.:D

B

Burnz

Audioholic Intern
Well I'm about to head to the local cd re-sale shop and see what they have. Anything I should be looking for on the vinyl? Obviously I realize a scratch is no good, but anything else? Not sure if theres a way to see if one is junk right away.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Do any receivers use software to correct the FR???

I think this is actually done with hardware. Historically, it was all hardware anyway, not software.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I'm about to head to the local cd re-sale shop and see what they have. Anything I should be looking for on the vinyl? Obviously I realize a scratch is no good, but anything else? Not sure if theres a way to see if one is junk right away.
Pick an album that you are very familiar with and that you own in another format. That way you can compare the two different sounds. You should be aware that the looks of a record has no bearing on how it will sound.I've purchased pristine looking albums that sounded beat up full of ticks, pops, and scratches (Generally not the case though) and I've picked up vinyl that looks like it had better days and it sounded very clean. You won't get away completely from ticks and pops but these should be heard while the tracks are playing. If they do, thne the vinyl is in bad shape.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Most places I've been to that sell used LPs have a listening station, the best thing you can do is give it a try before you buy. Vinyl that is warn will be pretty obvious when listened to.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis