Turntable Purchase Decision

R

Rick Nichols

Audiophyte
Faced with a purchasing decision between 2 turntables:
1. Brand new (or still on the showroom floor) VPI Traveller with a Grado Silver Cart for $1,200.
2. Used, but supposedly mint condition, Linn Sondek, with TTOK LVII tonearm, and a Goldring EROICA LX cartridge (a low output moving coil), also $1,200.

What to do?

R

Rick Nichols

Audiophyte
Warranty on the VPI (3 years, I think), no warranty on the Linn. The Linn is being sold by a highly rated, high-end dealer, who says he’s cleaned it up (including re-staining the plinth) to perfect condition, so it seems like a trustworthy situation.
Obviously, the Linn is a Rolls Royce model, but this one is used. VPIs aren't far behind, but the reviews I've read on the Traveler all seem to say that there can be hum issues with them.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Well considering the high number of Rolls Royces still on the road, I think you have your answer! Post some pics and make us envious!

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
What year is the Linn?? Does it have a Cirkus installed? I have a 1986 Linn w/an Ittok arm. Mine was pre Cirkus which I added and it tightened up the bass considerably. Having a Cirkus added is the best upgrade you can have.

R

Rick Nichols

Audiophyte
It is not described as having Cirkus. How much would it be to add that?

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
It is not described as having Cirkus. How much would it be to add that?
It would cost $750. Something you may want to consider down the road. It's the best upgrade you can give your Linn. It will take your TT up a couple of notches.

R

Rick Nichols

Audiophyte
Decided to go with the Traveler, and glad I did. It sounds great, especially after some initial popping and crackling, coming through the Wharfedales. I've paired it with a refurbished Pioneer SA-9800, which has some great phono features. The only thing I'd like to fix at this point is the electric shock you get when you touch either unit during play. Like I said the popping and crackling have pretty much gone away, but the current is strong enough to zap you upon touch.
Also, the budget did not allow - at least this month - for high end-connects, so I'll have to get by these first few weeks with Monster connects. Any tips on what to purchase? And, does going with expensive cables make that much of a difference?
Thanks for weighing in.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis