turntable & itunes w/ airtunes

M

mnigh

Audiophyte
hi,

i have a rather complicated question and was hoping some audiophiles could help. i currently have powered speakers that play my itunes music via the airport express base station w/ airtunes. what i would like to add to this set up is the ability to play records on a turntable and output the sound via the same powered speakers i'm using to play my itunes music. so my question is, what kind of an audio receiver would i need to hook up to my turntable to have my records on the powered speakers? if this is not possible, what other options do i have?

if you are confused by anything or i've left something out, please ask because the set up i want is a little tough to describe.

thanks in advance,
- matt

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Matt, I'm not 100% positive on this, but I believe that the iPod connects by a 1/8" mini stereo plug to your system doesn't it? If that is what you need, then I believe you can use a phono pre-amp and simply take the output (probably need a RCA stereo to 1/8" stereo adapter from Radio Shack) directly to the Airport connection.

If you are looking for a A/V receiver and plan on using all the speaker level outputs to actually power a theater, then get one with zone 2 capabilities, and hook zone 2 up to the Airport using the same adapter cable mentioned earlier.

M

mnigh

Audiophyte
Matt, I'm not 100% positive on this, but I believe that the iPod connects by a 1/8" mini stereo plug to your system doesn't it? If that is what you need, then I believe you can use a phono pre-amp and simply take the output (probably need a RCA stereo to 1/8" stereo adapter from Radio Shack) directly to the Airport connection.
actually, i have an ipod, but i wanted to have wireless music on my ibook laptop and turntable via my airport express base station with airtunes.

If you are looking for a A/V receiver and plan on using all the speaker level outputs to actually power a theater, then get one with zone 2 capabilities, and hook zone 2 up to the Airport using the same adapter cable mentioned earlier.
how much do these types of receivers costs? what brands should i look for?

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Not going to work the way you think

mnigh said:
hi,

i have a rather complicated question and was hoping some audiophiles could help. i currently have powered speakers that play my itunes music via the airport express base station w/ airtunes. what i would like to add to this set up is the ability to play records on a turntable and output the sound via the same powered speakers i'm using to play my itunes music. so my question is, what kind of an audio receiver would i need to hook up to my turntable to have my records on the powered speakers? if this is not possible, what other options do i have?

if you are confused by anything or i've left something out, please ask because the set up i want is a little tough to describe.

thanks in advance,
- matt

You can't hook the turntable to the AEB...you might be able to do this:

You need a mini cable (male to male) to go from the AEB to a mini "Y" adapter

(Like this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-303

A Phono Pre-amp like this :http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=245-035

A Stereo RCA male to mini male to go from the phono pre-amp to the second input on the "Y" adapter

a mini female to female coupler (hook the single mini male from the "Y" adapter to one end and the speakers to the other end.

In "THEROY" that might work

Good Luck

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Does the AEB have a stereo mini input? That is, can you hook your iPod directly to the input of the AEB using a 1/8" mini stereo jack to 1/8" mini stereo jack?

If so, then do as I said above - use a phono pre-amp (like the link above) and just use a RCA to 1/8" mini stereo cable adapter to take it to your AEB.

Receivers are covered in detail all over this website. A good deal can be had on last years Yamaha RX-V2400 - or maybe last years RX-V1400. Maybe even look for one a year older than that. Likely less than $500.00 for the older stuff with zone 2 capability.

I don't understand why the person above suggested the Y-adapter. It does not appear that would do anything.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
No way to get the turntable going wireless with the Airport Express. Apple uses an encryption key to encode the data stream when it leaves iTunes. Some 3rd parties have talked about trying a brute-force crack, but then Apple will probably just change the key.

Unless Apple opens up the spec, audio via Airport Express is iTunes-only, and since there's no way to record an audio source directly into iTunes (or use it as a conduit) you're out of luck.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis