S

seaside1

Audioholic Intern
The wifes been after me for some time to get her a turntable so she can listen to her old vinyl. I would like to get one for her this Christmas. I was orginally leaning towards the Pro-Ject Carbon with Pro-Ject MM Phono Box or possibly a Rega RP1 which is in my $500.00 price range. But I was advised not to get a belt driven turntable and instead opt for a Direct Drive model? Looking for some advice and opinions and what are the better Direct Drive models I should be looking at.
I will probably also need a little tutorial on how to set everything up with my Denon AVR-1912
Thanks
SS1

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Ford or Cevy?

Neither drive system is either better or worse then the other. Both types of turntables are fine. You'll be happy with a quality example of either.

It's personal preferences and petty bickering between the camps that make this a difficult decison.

As a beginner, you're probably getting an "all-in-one" that comes pre set up from the factory.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As mentioned from other reply, one style is not inherently "better" than the other style. A quality example of either style will have its own merits and drawbacks. The key is to get a good quality table, regardless of the style.

I really don't think you can go wrong with the belt drive tables that you mentioned. The person that said that direct drive is the way to go, what is their history / experience with turntables? Turntables and DJs from the club / professional scene? That field (especially mixing and scratching) really needs a direct drive TT due to the ability to quickly get back up to the proper speed, and they tend to be more durable too.

Direct drive TTs have the possibility that noise or rumble from the motor can get coupled to the stylus, and thus to the amp and output to the speakers. Belt drive tables have the motor decoupled to the platter and stylus by the rubber belt, so it really limits the motor noise that could POSSIBLY get to the speakers. But, a well-designed direct drive table (like the Technics SL1200) is just as good at eliminating motor noise as any belt drive.

So, I think you would be happy with the ones you mentioned. If you want to go direct drive, then I highly recommend the Technics SL-1200. It's built like a tank and does not suffer the motor noise problems that can be associated with other direct drives. This was the standard turntable for almost 40 years!

Of course, you will have a few people on here try to steer you away from the SL-1200 since it is a "pro" TT, but that is really a useless argument.

But, here is the real problem---They stopped making them about 3 years ago. So you have to go used or pay a big premium for new, probably more than double your budget.

But, if you don't mind used, then Guitar Center would be a good place to look.

J

JBH

Audiophyte
You might cosider this Denon - Denon-DP300F-with-2M-Red-Package you can get at Needle Doctor amoung others (it won't let me post the direct URL, you'll have to search).

- It's fully automatic. The other TT's you mention are manual. Generally, a woman will appreciate the convenience of automatic operation and will be put off by having to jump up at the end of each side to rescue the record.

- It comes pre-mounted with a cartridge which will sound ok with older / used records. Her collection has likely been played with a low quality system which will have affected the record's surface and grooves. To an unfortunate extent, the more you pay, the worse they may sound.

- Don't forget to get a record cleaner of some sort. Her records will likely be dirty, dusty, and generally noisy to the point of distraction.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Here's a nice Denon I found on Ebay
Denon
Personally, for a newbie, particularly when they are buying for someone else, I think a brandy new in box unit that was set up (and guaranteed) by the factory is a better way to go.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Personally, for a newbie, particularly when they are buying for someone else, I think a brandy new in box unit that was set up (and guaranteed) by the factory is a better way to go.
What, no love for the vintage gear?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
+1
For a newb, new unit is better choice.

I do love vintage gear, but I have experience and know what I'm looking for. Newbs shouldn't get themselves into more hassle than they bargained for.

However, that is why I suggested Guitar Center for used gear. I have pretty good confidence that the Guitar Center knows what they have and have given it a good inspection. And, they are more likely to help "make it right" if something doesn't work out.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The wifes been after me for some time to get her a turntable so she can listen to her old vinyl. I would like to get one for her this Christmas. I was orginally leaning towards the Pro-Ject Carbon with Pro-Ject MM Phono Box or possibly a Rega RP1 which is in my $500.00 price range. But I was advised not to get a belt driven turntable and instead opt for a Direct Drive model? Looking for some advice and opinions and what are the better Direct Drive models I should be looking at.
I will probably also need a little tutorial on how to set everything up with my Denon AVR-1912
Thanks
SS1
The ProJect Carbon is a big bang for your buck turntable with an amazingly good tonearm that buts a lot the vintage turntable arms to shame. I highly recommend that unit. What cartridge is being supplied with the Carbon?

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
The ProJect Carbon is a big bang for your buck turntable with an amazingly good tonearm that buts a lot the vintage turntable arms to shame. I highly recommend that unit. What cartridge is being supplied with the Carbon?
It comes with the Otrofon 2M Red. That's a pretty impressive TT for $400.

I also like Music Hall, I personally have a MMF5 with a Goldring 1012GX cart. I would look at the MMF2.2., which comes with a Goldring cart.

I don't see anything wrong with the Rega RP1, either.

I don't think any of these would be a bad choice for the OP, but that carbon tone arm is a nice feature on the Pro-Ject.

Just curious, what music is she going to be playing?

Markw, you have a 50H? Post a pic, love to see it.

S

seaside1

Audioholic Intern
You might cosider this Denon - Denon-DP300F-with-2M-Red-Package you can get at Needle Doctor amoung others (it won't let me post the direct URL, you'll have to search).

- It's fully automatic. The other TT's you mention are manual. Generally, a woman will appreciate the convenience of automatic operation and will be put off by having to jump up at the end of each side to rescue the record.

Maybe I should go with something easier for her. It probably won't get used that often and I really don't think she needs anything really high end or difficult to use.
Since there is no phono hook up on my Denon 1912, would I still need a Phono Pre-Amp. There is one built into the DP300

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Wise move. The simpler, the more likely it is to be used and enjoyed.

If the turntable you decide upon has a built-in preamplifier (or, as one stranely calls it, "equalizer"), you don't need to purchase a standalone phono preamp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis