Turntable connection

D

dd168168

Audiophyte
I just bought a denon dp-52f turntable. When I connected it to phono jack on my receiver, it produced a loud buzzing and humming sound. I understand you have to connect ground of turntable to ground of the receiver. However, I couldn't find any ground connection pin on the turntable. Can anyone have experiences of dealing help me?

Daniel

20to20K

Full Audioholic
I have a DP37f which is a model below yours and it has a ground pin and so should yours. You should be able to take it to any reputable audio repair shop and they can
run a ground wire for you. I upgraded the interconnects on my 37F with monsters AND
had a heavier duty ground rewired for about $50. It may be worth it to have both done. If the ground wire came off some how I'd be suspicious of the interconnects as well.

D

dd168168

Audiophyte
thank you for your help. I check the unit again and found there is a thin wire embedded with RCA cable. I grounded this wire to preamp's grounding pin, everything is working fine. I feel embarassed to post such a question.

Yes, I am planning to install a pair of better quality RCA jacks on the turn table so that I can use good RCA cables. But do you really feel the sound quality improved after you doing so?

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Without question yes...I actually did it because my ideal turntable location required
longer jacks. The better sound quality was an unexpected bonus. The sound was
warmer...not as tinny as before.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
As a note...

High-quality turntable cables should be made for ultra-low capacitance. While this is a characteristic that is always desirable for I/C's, it is really critical for turntables. You may have to sacrifice a little noise rejection for a decrease in capacitance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis