Turning off the power on a Pioneer VSX-534 so subwoofer wont draw power

D

dle3452

Audiophyte
I would like to know if there is a way to turn the power off to my Pioneer VSX-534 AV receiver. All I can do is turn off to standby which does not cut the power to the subwoofer. The sw is plugged into the sw outlets.
appreciate any help, Dan

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I would like to know if there is a way to turn the power off to my Pioneer VSX-534 AV receiver. All I can do is turn off to standby which does not cut the power to the subwoofer. The sw is plugged into the sw outlets.
appreciate any help, Dan
I'd just check your manual on the receiver. IN the olden days there were switched and unswitched outlets.

But most Subs have a selector switch on it that goes power-auto-on. When you select Auto, the Sub will turn itself on as long as it's senses a signal. It will turn itself off and into standby mode after a slight delay. There is usually very minimal power draw in standby.

I just looked at the rear panel (below) and there is no place to plug in the Sub for power.

So you must have the wrong model or ?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What is the subwoofer? Not sure why removing power from the AVR would keep the subwoofer from drawing power… You’d have to unplug it. When a sub goes into standby, it uses very little power. What’s the goal here?

D

dle3452

Audiophyte
There is a very quiet hum, My concern is I live off the grid and need to use as little power as possible when not needed. Receivers in the past that I have owned would shut this sub off when the power was receiver was turned off. I see from the instruction manual that it goes into stand by mode, I was asking if there is a way of turning the receiver off so there is no power draw. Only other thing I can think is to just unplug it.

D

dle3452

Audiophyte
I'd just check your manual on the receiver. IN the olden days there were switched and unswitched outlets.

But most Subs have a selector switch on it that goes power-auto-on. When you select Auto, the Sub will turn itself on as long as it's senses a signal. It will turn itself off and into standby mode after a slight delay. There is usually very minimal power draw in standby.

I just looked at the rear panel (below) and there is no place to plug in the Sub for power.

So you must have the wrong model or ?
I did look at the owners manual and there was nothing in it that showed a way to turn the power off. The picture you sent is the back of my receiver, if there was a switched outlet i would of used it. I was hoping the was a way to turn the power off completely, I live off the grid most of the time and need to save as much power as I can when I dont need it. Zdo you know much about this receiver? It is very complicated compare to what I have had in the past. I am not up to date on all this new technology but willing to learn, I like being self sufficient as much as possible. Thanks for your reply.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If there is a "trigger" in on the sub and out on the receiver, you can use that to turn it off anytime the receiver is turned off (standby). This only puts the sub into standby as well. Of note, the outlet on the back of receivers is for low power equipment and is not recommended for a sub. If the sub does not have a trigger, you can buy a plug strip that has one and turn that off, which will completely turn off the sub and might be a better option.

*Edit - looks like that receiver does not have a trigger out.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I did look at the owners manual and there was nothing in it that showed a way to turn the power off. The picture you sent is the back of my receiver, if there was a switched outlet i would of used it. I was hoping the was a way to turn the power off completely, I live off the grid most of the time and need to save as much power as I can when I dont need it. Zdo you know much about this receiver? It is very complicated compare to what I have had in the past. I am not up to date on all this new technology but willing to learn, I like being self sufficient as much as possible. Thanks for your reply.
The Pioneer VSX-534 AV receiver pulls only 0.1 W (Full Standby mode), and I'd expect something similar for the Sub.
If I were in your shoes and really wanted zero power draw, there is no way to do that without a mechanical switch on the power input to the devices. If you have a switched wall plug (some houses had them for Lamp) or a power bar with a switch on it, those are your best options IMHO.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have had avrs with various levels of standby that can interfere with an auto-off circuit. Base standby would be fine, but network standby or hdmi standby interfered as it kept the avr "on" to a higher degree. I'm not sure that avr has such options, but you might check. In my case it was a smart power strip the avr was the master unit for, haven't had the auto off circuits on subs get in the way, but something that might bear looking into....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis