JWhite

JWhite

Enthusiast
I am having some trouble dialing in my sub. No matter where I place or point it and how much phase I use, the bass is lacking. I have no furniture in the room yet, the room also has a drop ceiling (not sure if that will make a difference). When I stand in the corners of the room, the bass is incredible, but the farther I walk out, the less "Bassy" it is. Is there anything I can do, any tips or tricks to make the bass sound better in this room?
Thanks

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Is this a square room, by any chance? What are the dimensions?

JWhite

JWhite

Enthusiast
The room is 13' x 19'. On one side of the room (almost the middle of the room) there is a wall (not really a wall, I boxed in around a water pipe from the washroom upstairs and instead of having square column, I just finished it right to the wall) that sticks out approx. 1.5 ft and is about 1.5 wide. If you need more on that, I will try and make the dimensions in paint and attach it.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Put the sub at your seating position, then go around the room and find a spot where the bass is loud and even.

Put the sub there.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Can I assume we're talking about a basement with cinder block or cement walls behind drywall or panelling? If so, you may want to look into bass traps or broadband absorbers. It sounds as though you have a wave cancellation issue and need to absorb some of the reflected waves causing this cancellation. Take a stroll through the room acoustics forum and click on some links for further info. The room itself can make a huge difference in bass response.

JWhite

JWhite

Enthusiast
ok so I talked with one of the guys where I purchased my equipment and told him about the dilemma I am having with the bass. He asked about the measurements of the room (13' x 19' with low drop ceiling, just over 6.5'). He did some calculation and said that it is the room dimensions (the frequencies are cancelling each other out), that is what the problem is. He then told me about a fix for it involving sonotubes. Anyone ever hear about this and could you possibly point me in the right direction to do this, or even a website outlining what I need to do (as far as calculations or DIY forum). Any help would be appreciated.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
There is a whole forum right here on Audioholics for Room Acoustics, System Layout and Setup. There will be more information there for you to solve your issue and very helpful people.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
ok so I talked with one of the guys where I purchased my equipment and told him about the dilemma I am having with the bass. He asked about the measurements of the room (13' x 19' with low drop ceiling, just over 6.5'). He did some calculation and said that it is the room dimensions (the frequencies are cancelling each other out), that is what the problem is. He then told me about a fix for it involving sonotubes. Anyone ever hear about this and could you possibly point me in the right direction to do this, or even a website outlining what I need to do (as far as calculations or DIY forum). Any help would be appreciated.
He is wrong. The room dimension cannot cancel out all your bass. You will have nulls and peaks in any room at different frequencies, that is all.
I would not worry about pointing just placement and set the phase either 0 or 180.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis