D

dcgowen

Audiophyte
Greetings - first post here! I'm taking delivery on a Topping TP 30 Class T amp soon (to hook up to laptop computer to run audio from websites, CDs or music software sound thru a set of unpowered bookshelf speakers). I'd like to also add a tuner, and I'm wondering:

1) will this Topping amp will provide ample power to run a tuner (say, Sony XDR-F1HD)

2) if yes, do I also need a pre-amp (do all separate tuners have pre-amps built in)?

3) Will the computer have to be ON in order for this to work, or can I run the Topping amp, Tuner, and speakers without the computer on?

Thanks for any/all help!!
Dennis

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Amplifiers don't power tuners. They are self powered and deliver a line-level signal to the amp. Count on usilng an antenna for the tuner though.

If the tuner is separate from the computer, then the computer won't have to be powered on, but the amp will.

D

dcgowen

Audiophyte
Thanks for the info, markw.

The amp does have "line in" inputs (2 RCA). Sounds like I will have to unplug it from the computer (if I'm using the line in w/ computer, as opp. to USB option) when I want to attach the tuner, no? Here are the amp specs:
USB or Stereo RCA input • 8 mm thick, CNC-machined aluminum front panel • Class-T Tripath TA2024 BTL configuration (for 4- to 8-ohm speaker) • Op-amp: Burr-Brown OP-2134 • 3.5 mm headphone output for headphone impedance 16 to 200 ohms • DC power supply included: Input: 100~240 VAC, 50/60 Hz (US Plug); Output: 12 VDC, 5A regulator.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
All I know is that all tuners I've ever encountered have stereo RCA outputs. However you get that into your amp is your concern.

If your amp only has one RCA input then you're gonna have to switch plugs whenever you want to switch sources. Or, you could buy something like this.

Most amps I've dealt with, or would own, have multiple inputs for multple line level sources and allow me to select them via a knob, switch, or something.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Mark, amp with multiple input and a volume knob is not just amp, but integrated amp :) and yes, OP should get of these, audio switcher or just get a used receiver and sell the topping amp

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think any of us had any problem knowing what was being discussed here. The term (power) "amp" and "integrated amp" are pretty much interchangable in this case. There are very few (power) amps with volume controls while this little one does have one so, in a pinch, I'd say it's more an integrated than a power amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis