Tube Amp for AKG Q701, and Senn HD 700

L1C4

L1C4

Enthusiast
Unless this amp is about to extinct and become highly sought after, I'd call it rather bad investment from financial stand point. I know it's next to impossible to convert tube person to giving up on ancient and unreliable technology, but I will try exactly that every chance I get. Also you did know that tube sound changes as it ages?
That's a very narrow, pointed view. Tubes last a long time (at least a NOS) and they're not that expensive. I do not use tubes manufacturered today from Russia or China.

Tube and SS offer their own pros and cons and tube amps will not be going away in my lifetime.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That's a very narrow, pointed view. Tubes last a long time (at least a NOS) and they're not that expensive. I do not use tubes manufacturered today from Russia or China.

Tube and SS offer their own pros and cons and tube amps will not be going away in my lifetime.
Objectively, even cheap solid state amps and op-amps (op-amps tend to be common for head-phone amps, no need for a power amp) out-perform tube amps, out-measure tube amps, require less maintenance, etc.

His point was that tubes are very rarely "a good investment" as you stated. In general, SS is a better value proposition, with better performance.

L1C4

L1C4

Enthusiast
Objectively, even cheap solid state amps and op-amps (op-amps tend to be common for head-phone amps, no need for a power amp) out-perform tube amps, out-measure tube amps, require less maintenance, etc.

His point was that tubes are very rarely "a good investment" as you stated. In general, SS is a better value proposition, with better performance.
Better performance is definitely untrue.

I won't go further than we into this because it's obvious that we won't agree.

Thanks,
C

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Better performance is definitely untrue.

I won't go further than we into this because it's obvious that we won't agree.

Thanks,
C
The beautiful thing about objective facts and MEASUREMENTS is that you can argue against them all that you want, but you can't change them. FACT--SS amps are superior to Tube amps for any metric.

Advantages of solid state amps vs Tubes: SS can be more efficient, SS has extremely low output impedance (tubes need matching transformers), SS can get to higher output power, SS amps don't need bias readjustments as the tubes age, SS amps offer a more faithful reproduction of the signal, SS amps don't need to warm up, SS components are more robust, the list goes on and on.

Can you name 2 Objective, measure-able areas where a Tube amp has an advantage over a SS amp?

I like tube amps, I have a Dynaco ST-70 built from a Bob Latino clone, a very fine amp! I also have a Bottlehead Quickie Pre-Amp with the PJCCS Upgrade.

But, I don't fool myself into thinking that any tube gear will outperform any of my SS gear when the rubber meets the road!

I can also provide references if that would make you feel any better. I have been studying electronics and I have read books from people like Douglas Self, G Randy Sloan, and Bob Cordell, guys that REALLY know how to build amps!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@slipperybidness I think the dude prefers "alternative facts" to reality.
To the obvious troll:
Let's be clear here: Tube amps do distort the sound, but in way which some people prefer. That doesn't make tube amps better, just amp with EQ which you happens to like. By no means they are better performing from subjective standpoint.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@slipperybidness I think the dude prefers "alternative facts" to reality.
To the obvious troll:
Let's be clear here: Tube amps do distort the sound, but in way which some people prefer. That doesn't make tube amps better, just amp with EQ which you happens to like. By no means they are better performing from subjective standpoint.
Hey, I can even give 1 place tubes are superior to SS--Tubes can survive an EMP attack where SS would get fried ;):D;)

@L1C4 any other real advantages for using tubes vs SS?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis