Tube Amp for AKG Q701, and Senn HD 700

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Hi guys,

any recommendations on the title?

Looking for something inexpensive but also good sound. I've read bottlehead crack is the best for budget plus quality and will pair well. Any info on the monoprice tube amp and its compatibility?

I'd rather not have a DIY project because I have no idea what I'm doing, so any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I saw that you'd asked for recommendation for tube amp and I chose to ignore it, since I had Senns 700, I'd rather have most accurate sound possible, not a distorted/colored one
I think since you already good AVRs in HT and on computer - your best and easiest way is to connect your phones straight to receivers
if your avr can't pull enough volume for your linking (and you're dead set on destroying your hearing) then this amp would be your best bet:
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, I saw that you'd asked for recommendation for tube amp and I chose to ignore it, since I had Senns 700, I'd rather have most accurate sound possible, not a distorted/colored one
I think since you already good AVRs in HT and on computer - your best and easiest way is to connect your phones straight to receivers
if your avr can't pull enough volume for your linking (and you're dead set on destroying your hearing) then this amp would be your best bet:
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/
+1

Why would you buy high end cans, then color the sound with tubes..........

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Thanks for the replies

I was under the impression that tube amps fit the Q701s very well and actually needed a tube to soften and open them up.

Am I really misinformed here?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the replies

I was under the impression that tube amps fit the Q701s very well and actually needed a tube to soften and open them up.

Am I really misinformed here?
Yes, to open headphone you'd need some tools from ifixit like screwdrivers and specialty pliers, not a amp, especially not tube. If you like to add EQ to your sound it's your preference, but using tubes to do EQ is a silly use case. Music should be enjoyed as close as possible as it was originally played and adding EQ to it using tubes is not what artists would suggest.

I feel that I am especially qualified to make such remarks since I own and enjoy vastly, Q701's cousin from europe ;):rolleyes: - K712pro

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Also I did look at some of those bravo amps as a cheap intro to tubes. Is it worth it to try one of those or is it just going to leave me wanting more. I'd rather not waste the money on one if the sound quality isn't that great even if I switch the tubes, but if it is well worth the money I'd grab one and give it a try.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Thanks again BSA. Then why would anyone use a tube amp at all?

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Robert94

Robert94

Audioholic Intern
http://www.headfonia.com/ls-take-on-the-sennheiser-hd700/
I just got the HD700 and want to hear these things at their full potential. The Q701 on the e18k really disappoint IMO.
I have HD650's and just plug them into the 1/4" jack of my integrated amplifier and I think they sound great, much better than plugging them into my laptop directly anyway. What you've got to ask yourself is do you think it's really worth spending money on an amp that's already doing a good job. What I will say is that it took a while for my headphones to really start sounding great, after using them for a month or so they really do sound impeccable, particularly when listening to acoustic type stuff, and have made me want to get new speakers as a result.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I myself run my headphones with my AVR and I'm happy with the sound. If you want dedicated headphone amp get the ODac/Amp combo.

D

David2.1

Audiophyte
I have a Hifman EF 2A. I have RBH, Sony, and AT headphones both open and closed. I have tried several kinds of tubes. My goal is the most accurate reproduction of the music as the artist intended. I can tell a difference (I think ) in the sound on the amp with the source being my computer's flac music files from my old school CD's. I have some records as well.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I have a Hifman EF 2A. I have RBH, Sony, and AT headphones both open and closed. I have tried several kinds of tubes. My goal is the most accurate reproduction of the music as the artist intended. I can tell a difference (I think ) in the sound on the amp with the source being my computer's flac music files from my old school CD's. I have some records as well.
If you hear a difference between flac and CD you are doing something wrong as they are same quality if flac is converted correctly and should sound exactly same.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If you hear a difference between flac and CD you are doing something wrong as they are same quality if flac is converted correctly and should sound exactly same.
That's the main reason that all of my FLACs were ripped from my personal CDs, using Exact Audio Copy!

D

David2.1

Audiophyte
No I mean from flac or CD's as the source and the tube amp compared to without the amp.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

No I mean from flac or CD's as the source and the tube amp compared to without the amp.
Ahh, well tube amps tend to color sound a bit so it would be expected to hear a difference.

L1C4

L1C4

Enthusiast
Hi guys,

any recommendations on the title?

Looking for something inexpensive but also good sound. I've read bottlehead crack is the best for budget plus quality and will pair well. Any info on the monoprice tube amp and its compatibility?

I'd rather not have a DIY project because I have no idea what I'm doing, so any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks
My best friend designed the Crack. It is the single best investment you can make as it is designed to be effective at one thing, not a one size fits all. It works incredibly well with higher impedance cans. Let me know if you want any more information.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Unless this amp is about to extinct as new and become highly sought after, I'd call it rather bad investment from financial standpoint. I know it's next to impossible to convert tube person to giving up on ancient and unreliable technology, but I will try exactly that every chance I get. Also you did know that tube sound changes as it ages?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis