Trying to fix audio (multiple problems)

Icehockey101

Icehockey101

Audiophyte
Hi guys

I thought this is probably the best place to turn to for the issues I'm having.

Here is my hardware
46" Samsung Plasma
Phillips 5.1 surround sound Blu-ray home theater system
HP DV7 Beats Edition Laptop
The most convoluted and obscene RCA to Aux conversion (takes about 8 pieces I'll post pictures tomorrow if I can)

1) my laptop line in and Headphone port are both shorted out and getting it fixed or fixing it myself is out of the question. I am deployed and not willing to tske the risk of messing up my laptop. I bought a USB sound card today online and it should get here by mid April. It is 2.1 however and my home theater system is 5.1 and I am worried the system will only use the front right/left speakers because of that.

2) is there any way while my laptop is connected through HDMI to my plasma that I can connect my speakers to my TV and not my laptop and hear the sound? It (the TV) does have an Aux out and the traditional RCA connections. The home theater does not have an HDMI input.

Thanks Very much in advance for the help. My only limitations are money which I don't have to spend on additional cables/products and I can't take anything apart and do the work myself.

~ Sgt J

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You say your TV has an "aux out". Assuning you nean audio, that's good.

You should be able to feed that into an "aux in" in your Philips system and everything that goes through your TV should wind up there.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Sgt J!

Does your TV have an optical audio output, and does your Philips surround sound system have an optical audio input? I ask because that's a pretty common output/input for those components, and that will carry 5.1 audio from the TV's built-in tuner. The unfortunate thing is that most TVs will convert an HDMI audio input into stereo sound for output through that jack...so it will probably be stereo just like an analog connection from the TV to the Philips if you're playing audio from your laptop. So, another question - does your laptop have an optical audio output (doesn't look like from the specs that I found online, but I want to ask)? Btw, I'm asking about optical connections because they're pretty common, but coax digital connections will do the same thing.

If you can only transfer stereo sound to the Philips, it may have one or more surround sound modes to convert 2.1 audio into 5.1. If you have questions about that, let us know the model number.

Icehockey101

Icehockey101

Audiophyte
Phillips system has no Aux input I am using the Frankenstein of cables to convert the RCA to Aux. And I have tried to plug it in to the TV without success there is no sound. Not sure how else to pull it off. If I hook it up via the RCA will that work as well? And Adam my plasma has one 3.5mm jack right under the HDMI ports. Beyond that it has an additional HDMI port and the traditional VGA and bunches of RCA male Jacks. Tommorow I can give you model numbers so you have a clearer idea of the exact system

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. What are the model numbers of your Philips and Samsung?

Icehockey101

Icehockey101

Audiophyte
The sound system is an older version of the Panasonic SC-BT230 and the TV is a Samsung F4000 43" just looked for the proper products in stores here online and found the proper model numbers

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The sound system is an older version of the Panasonic SC-BT230...
If it's like the SC-BT230, it has two optical audio inputs and an AUX analog input (two RCA cables for left/right connections). I'm a bit confused that your Philips is an older version of that Panasonic. Do you know the model number of the system that you own?

...TV is a Samsung F4000...
That should have both an optical audio output and a headphone (analog stereo) audio output.

Icehockey101

Icehockey101

Audiophyte
I thought it was a Phillips I was mistaken. They look similar but when I looked at stores over here I confirmed that it was a mistake in brand. Did some more digging and found the right model range. It's written like the one I have that the analog in is RCA. however it also mentions having an HDMI port which mine does not have to my knowledge..

SC-XH50

Regardless tommorow I will report back with the exact numbers so it will be easier for you all. Thanks for the responses so far!

Last edited:
Icehockey101

Icehockey101

Audiophyte
So I checked out the Samsung website re:the Plasma TV and this is what i found in terms of available ports

Audio Out L-R (Mini Jack) 1
Component In (Y/Pb/Pr) 1
Composite In (AV) 1 (Common Use for Component Y)
Digital Audio Out (Optical) No
DVI Audio In (Mini Jack) No
Ethernet (LAN) No
HDMI 2
PC Audio In (Mini Jack) No
PC In (D-sub) No
RF In (Terrestrial/Cable Input) 1
RF In (Satellite input) No
RS-232C (AV Control) No
USB 1
Headphone No
IR Out No

With those restrictions along with having only AV and a convertor to 3.5mm from my home theater how can I connect them so that I hear the computer sound without plugging the speakers into the computer

Icehockey101

Icehockey101

Audiophyte
Ok so I finally found and confirmed the model numbers.

The speaker system is a Panasonic sa-xh10 the only difference between the SC and the SA is the inclusion of bluray in my model. The TV is as previously stated an F4000 43" plasma. I tried connecting the AV to the TV while the laptop was connected to the HDMI, to connect to the 3.5mm port on the TV, and neither worked.

So I am out of ideas how to get my surround sound from my laptop without having the speakers connected to my laptop. If anyone has a tutorial/experience doing such things advice would be greatly appreciated.

~Sgt J

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This "Audio Out L-R (Mini Jack) 1" from your TV's brag sheet could be your saving grace.

According to that link you provided to your audio system,. it says "Analog Audio In (RCA)"

Such being the case, something lin this between the TV and your audio system should get you up and running.

Just feed everything through your TV set. Or you can use it on your headphone jack on your computer. An either/or situation.

Or, you could get TWO of those adapter cables and feed then both into an external selector switch and then into your audio system.

Or, it does appear that your audio system allows an optical input. If your computer has one, or you can pick up anexternal DAC with an optical output, you should be able to feed it directly into your audio system that way.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry about that. Try this one. While we're at it, here's an example of a switchbox. It takes up to four stereo RCA inputs and outputs one.

Icehockey101

Icehockey101

Audiophyte
I have one thats not the issue.... ive triede plugging it in from the AV to the Aux outlet with no luck. the HDMI cord ****s everything up...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
So, the HDMI mutes the audio from the RCA outputs? Bummer.

How about the audio from the computer's earphone jack. That at least works, doesn't it?

Icehockey101

Icehockey101

Audiophyte
The microphone jack works. The Headphone and line in Jacks are fried hence my dilemma. I bought a USB sound card an x-fi on eBay that will come in a couple weeks but I was looking for an alternative until it arrives

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis