Trying to find center to match old Kenwood Towers.

T

Tyler Boyd

Audiophyte
Hi all this is my first post here. I was hoping to pick your brains for some information.

I have two Kenwood ls-v720-b that I'm using for my mains.

I'm using a crappy jvc center that came out of some set for my center.

I'm trying to find a center that would match my mains. I like the way my mains sound and don't really want to replace them. Would a modern Kenwood center work?

Thanks for your time!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think they make a center to match that speaker, we get questions like this often, a lot of them older full range speakers were made for stereo playback and the speaker companies didn't make center channels with matching timbre {or centers at all at that time}. You have a few options you can find a single speaker and use that {not normally an option since they are large}, you can find a single speaker and make a center using its tweeter and mid driver with an enclosure with xover from somewhere like PE, you can find a center that will "work" start with something cheap like the pioneer aj center, and see if it sounds good, or run phantom with no center {if you have to keep the kenwoods this is what I would do...}

good luck, another good option is starting over, for a couple hundred dollars you can get a nice set of towers with a matching center and sell the kenwoods...

T

Tyler Boyd

Audiophyte
I will look into getting the optimus. I am driving this system with an only ht-rc460. I also bought a sub from Frys on Black Friday it's a Jbl sp150am. I'm not really satisfied with it so I am going to return. I want to find a better sub. What do you recommend for something I could find used?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Seriously, what you can find used depends on where you're looking. Are you looking to buy ebay or local?

Depending on your needs/wants/expectations, for $200 NIB with a 5 year guarantee, this sub is hard to beat.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I will look into getting the optimus. I am driving this system with an only ht-rc460. I also bought a sub from Frys on Black Friday it's a Jbl sp150am. I'm not really satisfied with it so I am going to return. I want to find a better sub. What do you recommend for something I could find used?
What is your budget for a subwoofer?

Last edited:
T

Tyler Boyd

Audiophyte
Seriously, what you can find used depends on where you're looking. Are you looking to buy ebay or local?

Depending on your needs/wants/expectations, for $200 NIB with a 5 year guarantee, this sub is hard to beat.
I'm sold. I'm returning the sub I bought and buying this one. Thanks for the insight!! With a sub should I still have my towers set to full range? Also what should I set the lfe to? Thanks for helping a noob.

T

Tyler Boyd

Audiophyte
Does everyone seem to agree the Optimus should be a decent match? I want to pull the trigger on those too. My towers use a linaeum tweeter.

T

Tyler Boyd

Audiophyte
Ok so I have decided to up my budget and find a klipsch rw-12d. How do you think it will compare to the current Jbl?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Ok so I have decided to up my budget and find a klipsch rw-12d. How do you think it will compare to the current Jbl?
Where are you going to find that sub - and what is the new budget?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Does everyone seem to agree the Optimus should be a decent match? I want to pull the trigger on those too. My towers use a linaeum tweeter.
Without actually listening to the speakers in question, it is hard to give a definitive answer. But since both use a Linaeum tweeter, it should be a better voice match than most center channel speakers would be, and is probably about as close of a match as you will find. Unless you have room in the center for another tower speaker and buy a speaker just like your right and left speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis