Trouble with Marantz AV8003

T

tongkito

Audiophyte
hi, just joined this forum recently..

does anyone have the same problem as mine?

i just bought Marantz AV8003 along with MM8003, a feew weeks later its surround right is not working, no sound at all. then i brought to my country authorised Service Center, technician said there's a problem with its circuit board ( i dont know the exact part is) and need to be ordered from Singapore (sigh).

After waiting for 4 months (yes 4 months of waiting) finally my processor is back, then in the next 2 days my surround right is dead again.

i checked at the other forum, there's also a problem with its channel (only this time, the power output seems underpower)

i also got information from the technician, this problem is common to marantz (what da @%$^$#!)

so is this AV8003 a defect product?

honestly this is my first marantz product (after couple of years using Yamaha RX-V1800) and really dissapointed with marantz.

thx:mad:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

i just bought Marantz AV8003 along with MM8003, a feew weeks later its surround right is not working, no sound at all. then i brought to my country authorised Service Center, technician said there's a problem with its circuit board ( i dont know the exact part is) and need to be ordered from Singapore (sigh).

After waiting for 4 months (yes 4 months of waiting) finally my processor is back, then in the next 2 days my surround right is dead again.

i checked at the other forum, there's also a problem with its channel (only this time, the power output seems underpower)

i also got information from the technician, this problem is common to marantz (what da @%$^$#!)

honestly this is my first marantz product (after couple of years using Yamaha RX-V1800) and really dissapointed with marantz.

Sorry to hear that. Do you still have your Yamaha? My Yamaha has been bulletproof working flawlessly since I got it 3 years ago. I'm hoping this unit will run for another 20 or so years.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Was it bought brand new or refurbished?

I have absolutely no faith in refurbished pre-pro or AVR anymore. Those days are over for me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You probably won't want to hear from Zumbo then. He had a very similar issue and experience with his BD8200. I am a fan of Marantz, but it seems they have some QC issues lately. Having said that, the dealer you bought it from is the first place I would have checked. One of my dealers gave me a loaner while mine was being shipped and the other took the damaged one in and gave me 100% credit towards a new one. For spending that kind of money, your dealer should be taking care of you.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I suspect that the technician did not find out what caused the precessing board to fail.

I have had a Marantz AV 8003 for 9 months now without problems. I know of a user that has had one for at least a couple of years without problems. My dealer has sold quite a few with zero returns so far.

I would ask for a new unit.

Other possibilities. I gather you are somewhere in Asia. Are you sure your power requirements are correct for that unit?

Are you using good power control? For instance do you have whole house surge protection and are you powering it from a UPS which controls voltage tightly? I think there is a good possibility your power has something to do with this. These are complex units with a powerful and therefore fragile microprocessor.

The other possibility that one of your ancillary units is blowing the unit up.

If you get a new unit and it blows up, you can be as good as certain that there is a problem related to your location and or ancillary equipment.

T

tongkito

Audiophyte
Sorry to hear that. Do you still have your Yamaha? My Yamaha has been bulletproof working flawlessly since I got it 3 years ago. I'm hoping this unit will run for another 20 or so years.
hai, sadly my yamaha was sold a month after bought marrantz.

i should keep my yamaha for the rainy day (like now) :D

Was it bought brand new or refurbished?

I have absolutely no faith in refurbished pre-pro or AVR anymore. Those days are over for me.
correct, it was refurbished, but they gave me full year warranty for processor. for MM8003 is brand new

Other possibilities. I gather you are somewhere in Asia. Are you sure your power requirements are correct for that unit?

Are you using good power control? For instance do you have whole house surge protection and are you powering it from a UPS which controls voltage tightly? I think there is a good possibility your power has something to do with this. These are complex units with a powerful and therefore fragile microprocessor.

The other possibility that one of your ancillary units is blowing the unit up.

If you get a new unit and it blows up, you can be as good as certain that there is a problem related to your location and or ancillary equipment.
i think i had correct requirement, i have been using UPS for my processor only, for power amp i did not use any UPS (since it requires bigger electricity)
and i have been using several brand such as audio analogue, denon, rotel and yamaha, all not using any UPS and did not find anything in trouble, except for my processor.

well just a week ago, the Marrantz HQ in Singapore replied my mail, and they will investigate to their Authorised partner, and the next day voila .... the SVC manager called me, apologized and invite me to their office :)

but my subject is clear, if it can't be fixed in a month, i will ask for full money refund + compensation (5 months for waiting, i think i deserve it)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

hai, sadly my yamaha was sold a month after bought marrantz.

i should keep my yamaha for the rainy day (like now) :D

correct, it was refurbished, but they gave me full year warranty for processor. for MM8003 is brand new

i think i had correct requirement, i have been using UPS for my processor only, for power amp i did not use any UPS (since it requires bigger electricity)
and i have been using several brand such as audio analogue, denon, rotel and yamaha, all not using any UPS and did not find anything in trouble, except for my processor.

well just a week ago, the Marrantz HQ in Singapore replied my mail, and they will investigate to their Authorised partner, and the next day voila .... the SVC manager called me, apologized and invite me to their office :)

but my subject is clear, if it can't be fixed in a month, i will ask for full money refund + compensation (5 months for waiting, i think i deserve it)
I think the problem is that it is a refurb. I think a unit as complex as that is difficult to refurb. Even the best techs will be hard pressed to know where the trouble begins and ends. I would never consider buying a complex piece of electronics as a refurb. You certainly seem to be powering it correctly.

T

tongkito

Audiophyte
I think the problem is that it is a refurb. I think a unit as complex as that is difficult to refurb. Even the best techs will be hard pressed to know where the trouble begins and ends. I would never consider buying a complex piece of electronics as a refurb. You certainly seem to be powering it correctly.
yes, at first i was confuse whether to buy this refurb processor or not.

but the seller gave me warranty, marrantz is reliable and no need to worry (but then i was wrong)

i'm glad that my warranty cover it, and this certainly would be my last marrantz product

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

yes, at first i was confuse whether to buy this refurb processor or not.

but the seller gave me warranty, marrantz is reliable and no need to worry (but then i was wrong)

i'm glad that my warranty cover it, and this certainly would be my last marrantz product
It does not need to be your last product from Marantz. Just don't buy refurbs of any brand. I have three Marantz products and they are fine.

T

tongkito

Audiophyte
It does not need to be your last product from Marantz. Just don't buy refurbs of any brand. I have three Marantz products and they are fine.
yup, maybe just having a bad luck with marrantz :)

so far no marrantz series interest me yet, AV7005 i think not in one level with 8003, maybe next AV8005 :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just don't buy refurbs of any brand.
I believe that 200%. Never buy refurbs or your luck may run out.

correct, it was refurbished, but they gave me full year warranty for processor.
I wouldn't buy a refurb even if they gave me 5 yrs warranty. I don't like having to return the product for repairs over and over again.

Once burned, twice shy ;)
Once burned? It was more like 5-times burned.:eek:

Unbelievable!:eek:

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Not for nothing but I have owned refurbed products and I own a Refurb Marantz SR5004 now and I have had very good luck with the refurb products I have purchased. Not saying it is the way to go for everyone but not everyone has problems either. Just my 2 cents.:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not for nothing but I have owned refurbed products and I own a Refurb Marantz SR5004 now and I have had very good luck with the refurb products I have purchased. Not saying it is the way to go for everyone but not everyone has problems either. Just my 2 cents.:)
How long ago did you buy those refurbs?

I believe QUALITY has gone down the drain recently; I don't know if it is related to the bad economy and down-sizing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis