Trouble picking an amp

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I've got a pair of B&W 801's that seem to want a lot more power. They are suggested "50W-1000W", so I don't much want to put a 150Wx2 amp on them; but the budget is pretty limited.

Yamaha makes a P7000S that does 700W x2 @8ohm for $700, but I really would like something that will respond to a 12v trigger so I can turn them off by remote.

Anything else in the 500WPC-700WPC @8ohm for =<$700?

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
Your probably familiar with the Emotiva XPA-2. With 300wpc into 8 ohms (500wpc into 4 ohms) it should have plenty of power for your speakers. If you find one not enough (can you say hearing damage?) buy another - you can bridge them into 8 ohm loads - making each into a potent mono-block. The beauty of this is should you ever want to sell them you have a pair of 2 channel amps for sale - much easier to peddle that than a pair of mono-blocks.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that's $800 for 300W, and $1600 for <600W...

Given that 300 is 1/3 the speaker's rating, and that the Yammy gives me 700W for less than one of the Emotivas, I'm hunting a different option.

In a pinch, I'll get the Yammy and a remote-control power outlet. I'd rather something more elegant.

Matt34

Matt34

Commercially your not going to find anything (new) that will compete with Emotiva for dollar/wattage that I'm aware of.

Keep your eyes open for a couple 2nd hand XPA-1.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've got a pair of B&W 801's that seem to want a lot more power.
How can we tell if certain speakers want more power?

If the amps shut off due to circuit protection, then it's obvious.

If the amps clip and we hear distortion, then it's obvious.

But besides that, how do you know if the speakers want more power?

ATI AT3002 (96lbs, $1,395 obo):

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1290972434

This is practically a brand new unit with a full 7 yrs warranty from an authorized dealer.

It will produce 661 watts RMS @ 1% THD into 4 ohms (measured by HTM).

It has 2 channels with 2 giant Torroidal transformers. You don't see many 2Ch amps weighing 96lbs.

The asking price is $1,395, but you can probably offer $1,195 and get it. Retail is $2,500.

I have one of these, and it is a total BEAST! :D

I paid $1,224 including S/H, which isn't cheap for a giant double-box via FedEX. Thank goodness Classic Audio Parts uses FedEx instead of UPS!

It comes with a trigger cable too, which is a nice surprise. The power cord is a 15-amp cord.

My AT3005 comes with a 20-amp cord.

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
How can we tell if certain speakers want more power?

If the amps shut off due to circuit protection, then it's obvious.

If the amps clip and we hear distortion, then it's obvious.

But besides that, how do you know if the speakers want more power?
You are dead right. I did some more fiddling and think I'll get by fine on one of the Emotivas.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha makes a P7000S that does 700W x2 @8ohm for $700, but I really would like something that will respond to a 12v trigger so I can turn them off by remote.
That’s why I like my Adcom ACE-515. It can power any amp. No 12v needed, only a switched outlet from the receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis