Trouble in River City, please confirm my diagnosis

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
BACKGROUND:
Bedroom 2.0 system for TV, the occasional movie, and BlueTooth/cd music.
Samsung PN51F5300 plasma TV, circa 2013.
Panasonic DMP-BD60 bluray player, connected to HDMI 1.
Marantz PM6005 integrated amp connected to bluray player by analog outputs.
Pair of Wharfedale 10.1 speakers.

SYMPTOMS:
No changes or adjustments in months.
Suddenly this morning the TV has no video from BR player. (TV channels work fine)
DMP-BD60 shows error code U73, internet search says HDMI error.
Sound from BR player via analog outs still works fine. Some odd pops & clicks during boot up.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
1) Tried HDMI 2 input on TV, no luck.
2) Swapped out HDMI cable, no luck.
3) Swapped out BD60 with a Samsung C5500 bluray player, same symptoms on HDMI 1 & 2.
4) Connected C5500 to TV with three-wire component video cables, works just fine.

CONCLUSION:
Too unlikely both BR players HDMI outs and both HDMI cables are bad, therefore HDMI input board on TV gave up the ghost.

What am I missing?
Anyone done a DIY HDMI board swap on this or similar TV?
Worth the effort/expense?

Thanks,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Still may be worth trying another hdmi device jus to be 100% sure. I would also recommend trying to find if your tv has a reset to factory default option as this may help. Something like a chromecast if you can borrow one would be a good test. Also find a laptop or computer with hdmi and try this. Computers by default do not apply hdcp protection most of the time so if it works then it may be a hdcp issue in your tv.

Another thing I recommend is to pick up your source device and hdmi cable and take it next door or somewhere else and borrow someone's tv hdmi input.

You can get very cheap hdmi to component converter boxes online as a good temp fix to get things going for now while you decide on your next step.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
As long as you tried both HDMI inputs on the TV with the NEW cable, then yes I am afraid you may have some TV HDMI board issues.

I know your plasma is discontinued, but still contact Samsung and see if they have another board laying around!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
As long as you tried both HDMI inputs on the TV with the NEW cable, then yes I am afraid you may have some TV HDMI board issues.

I know your plasma is discontinued, but still contact Samsung and see if they have another board laying around!
Go into the service menu and see if there is a fault and what code.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
BACKGROUND:
Bedroom 2.0 system for TV, the occasional movie, and BlueTooth/cd music.
Samsung PN51F5300 plasma TV, circa 2013.
Panasonic DMP-BD60 bluray player, connected to HDMI 1.
Marantz PM6005 integrated amp connected to bluray player by analog outputs.
Pair of Wharfedale 10.1 speakers.

SYMPTOMS:
No changes or adjustments in months.
Suddenly this morning the TV has no video from BR player. (TV channels work fine)
DMP-BD60 shows error code U73, internet search says HDMI error.
Sound from BR player via analog outs still works fine. Some odd pops & clicks during boot up.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
1) Tried HDMI 2 input on TV, no luck.
2) Swapped out HDMI cable, no luck.
3) Swapped out BD60 with a Samsung C5500 bluray player, same symptoms on HDMI 1 & 2.
4) Connected C5500 to TV with three-wire component video cables, works just fine.

CONCLUSION:
Too unlikely both BR players HDMI outs and both HDMI cables are bad, therefore HDMI input board on TV gave up the ghost.

What am I missing?
Anyone done a DIY HDMI board swap on this or similar TV?
Worth the effort/expense?

Thanks,
XEagleDriver

Those TVs are well known for HDMI failure. You are far from the first to post that exact set of symptoms with those TVs.

I researched this before and have again for you. A lot of Samsung TVs are basically junk, especially their F and C series.

On your TV the HDMI circuitry is on the main board. However the buffer board can and does also frequently fail, and cause HDMI problems.

The other thing is that these plasma screens fail often producing colored vertical lines. This is a frequent problem and NO replacement screens are now available and never will be.

As is usual with Korean manufacturers parts are always hard to come by. Last time I checked the main board was out of stock everywhere and is now.

This supplier says they are only able to keep the main board for your TV in stock for 33% of the time.

Unfortunately my advice has to be to not put one red cent into that TV.

I have noted that service techs have a severe antipathy to Korean products, especially Samsung and LG. This is particularly true of household and kitchen appliances from Samsung and LG.

They all tell the same story: - lots of problems, poor design, hard to fix and above all inability to get parts.

Ron and his family who own the Appliance Depot in Inver Grove Heights, where I do my appliance business now refuses to stock the junk. Just don't get Ron started on the stuff, especially the washing machines! This family have a huge parts business and supply the bulk if the independent repair guys in that area.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Those TVs are well known for HDMI failure. You are far from the first to post that exact set of symptoms with those TVs.

I researched this before and have again for you. A lot of Samsung TVs are basically junk, especially their F and C series.

On your TV the HDMI circuitry is on the main board. However the buffer board can and does also frequently fail, and cause HDMI problems.

The other thing is that these plasma screens fail often producing colored vertical lines. This is a frequent problem and NO replacement screens are now available and never will be.

As is usual with Korean manufacturers parts are always hard to come by. Last time I checked the main board was out of stock everywhere and is now.

This supplier says they are only able to keep the main board for your TV in stock for 33% of the time.

Unfortunately my advice has to be to not put one red cent into that TV.

I have noted that service techs have a severe antipathy to Korean products, especially Samsung and LG. This is particularly true of household and kitchen appliances from Samsung and LG.

They all tell the same story: - lots of problems, poor design, hard to fix and above all inability to get parts.

Ron and his family who own the Appliance Depot in Inver Grove Heights, where I do my appliance business now refuses to stock the junk. Just don't get Ron started on the stuff, especially the washing machines! This family have a huge parts business and supply the bulk if the independent repair guys in that area.
TLS Guy,

Thanks for the info, even if discouraging . Three years is not an adequate lifespan even for a moderate priced TV, especially since my case is more the norm and less the exception.

Sounds like best option is to just to use it with component connection until it fails as a display and hope OLED prices drop in the interim.

XEagleDriver

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Next year should be an even better year for OLED! I think Panasonic will be unveiling theirs, and as more manufacturer's produce, prices will fall!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis