Trouble connecting Toslink Optical cable

Taskmaster

Taskmaster

Enthusiast
Just got a Yamaha RX-V2500 and hooked it all up. I had component and rcas running from my HD cable to the receiver. Decided to upgrade the audio to Toslink. The cable plugs into my cable box with no problems but I can't get the other end to go into the reciever. I tried the other optic inputs but it does not seem to fit there either.

Any suggestions? I am sure I am not doing something basic.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Are you sure you removed the protective caps on both the cable and the receiver? Is it possible that you bought an optical cable with a standard toslink connector on one end and a mini toslink on the other?

Taskmaster

Taskmaster

Enthusiast
Hmm... ok, I figured I was making a silly mistake. So the little clear plastic caps on the end of the cable must be removed? Isn't the plastic door/cover on the radio designed to open when you insert plug or do I need to do something to remove it also?

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
Taskmaster said:
Hmm... ok, I figured I was making a silly mistake. So the little clear plastic caps on the end of the cable must be removed? Isn't the plastic door/cover on the radio designed to open when you insert plug or do I need to do something to remove it also?
Optical jacks will very often have a small plastic "plug" inserted to protect them. The plug must be removed. There's no "door" on the optical jack.
Your cable may very well have clear protective caps. Just make sure you're not pulling the connector itself off.

Taskmaster

Taskmaster

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. All is working now. Digital sound is nice!!

Can't believe the package the cables come in don't have something on them that says. "Remove protective caps before use". Guess they expect people to be smarter than me. :( :D

B

bongobob

Audioholic
Jacksmyname said:
Optical jacks will very often have a small plastic "plug" inserted to protect them. The plug must be removed. There's no "door" on the optical jack.
Your cable may very well have clear protective caps. Just make sure you're not pulling the connector itself off.
From my experiance optical jacks either have spring loaded doors or plugs to keep out dust......

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Taskmaster said:
Thanks for the replies. All is working now. Digital sound is nice!!

Can't believe the package the cables come in don't have something on them that says. "Remove protective caps before use". Guess they expect people to be smarter than me. :( :D
Hey Taskmaster,

Welcome to AH,

Glad you found out what was wrong.
Don't tell anyone, but I made the same mistake with my first toshlink.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
bongobob said:
From my experiance optical jacks either have spring loaded doors or plugs to keep out dust......
Many do, but some don't. The ones that don't ususally come with a small plug that you leave in there if you aren't using it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis