Tripplite HT1010SAT3...thoughts

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I've decided that I need to upgrade my surge protector. I've got a decent amount of money invested would feel better if my system wasn't connected through a $30 PC surge protector and want something I'd feel safer with. Everyone has had good things to say about tripplite so I was curious what people thing about this model.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=2809

From the specs it looks like it has everything that I need to plug everything in, and I like the fact that I can run a network cable through it to for added protection to my PC. I really dont know anything about surge protectors so I could use some input. Anyways, if any one has any thoughts on this model let me know or if there is something else I should look at. Thanks.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like a good product. I've been looking at the HT10DBS, as it has a little more protection and stopping power. It's also a recommended component in a few of the systems here at AH.

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
I agree with jaxvon that if you're going to be 'upgrading' your power source, you might want to look into the 'next level' and go with some power conditioning equipment.

In the same price league as jaxvon's suggestion, you could get a Monster Power HTS 2500 Mk II Power Center. This would provide Stage 2 power filtering and low loss AV hookups.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
In the same price league as jaxvon's suggestion, you could get a Monster Power HTS 2500 Mk II Power Center. This would provide Stage 2 power filtering and low loss AV hookups.
Then why not go with the tripp lite LCR2400 which will offer superior performance over that "monster".

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I have the Tripplite Powerbar 10.

My girlfriend thinks the lights are pretty. I agree.

Don't know what else it really does.

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
Privateer said:
Then why not go with the tripp lite LCR2400 which will offer superior performance over that "monster".
I'm not quite sure how you're rating the 'performance' on these two different power centers. Could you explain?

From what I can see, the "monster" has other features not included on the Tripp Lite such as the switched/timed outlets, which turns your equipment on in series. Also, the AV hookups for coax are low-loss circuits, so your signal will be minimally degraded.

On the technical side of things, the Monster has differing isolated filters for different applications.

The price is also comparable. You can easily find this unit for <$195 if you shop around.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The HT10DBS has isolated filter banks for every outlet and a 15A rating. At around $85 shipped from J&R, I'd say it's your best bang-for-the-buck.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
jaxvon said:
The HT10DBS has isolated filter banks for every outlet and a 15A rating. At around $85 shipped from J&R, I'd say it's your best bang-for-the-buck.
yeah it looks good, but I like the 9 foot cord on the other model, only 4 outlets in my entire room at school, but we'll see. I wont know till I get back there and figure out where I'm going to put all my stuff. Going from an apartment back to a fraternity house room is one heck of a size difference.

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
I can see where you're coming from.

The Monster unit also has a 15A power rating as well.

As far as the Isolated filters on each bank, I can only say that it's a good/bad thing.

From my experience in dealing with EMI/RFI interference in power lines, I've had to dissect several devices to inspect their workings before my company made a purchase.

What a power filter does (at the AC level), is it creates an "impedance mismatch" at high frequencies causing incoming unwanted frequencies to be reflected back to the AC power network. Likewise if the equipment itself is generating noise (Receiver, Amp) some filters are designed to create high impedance to the equipment and so control outgoing interference. So knowing the input impedance of the equipment is very important to what type of filter should be placed on that specific circuit.

That is why I suggested the Monster unit again over the Tripp Lite, because it uses special application filters which would more closely match the impedance of the device it's powering.

I didn't know you could get the Tripp Lite for so cheap though, so there is a $100 price difference. I guess in the end, just go with what your instinct tells you :)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Correction: the HT10DBS only has a 12A rating. The model up from the HT10DBS has a 15A rating. Still, 12A is a lot of power and it should be fine.

WndrBr3d: The Tripp-lite has different application markings too, though I don't know if they actually employ different filtering techniques on the different outlets. However, the HT10DBS has a larger joule rating, $500,000 guarantee, and a lifetime warranty. For 80 bucks, I don't think you can go wrong.

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
jaxvon said:
Still, 12A is a lot of power and it should be fine.
I agree. Most circuit breakers in houses are only 15A anyways, so even if you maxed out the power bar, you'd still trip the breaker. ;)

However, the HT10DBS has a larger joule rating, $500,000 guarantee, and a lifetime warranty.
You shouldn't put much weight in joule ratings on power strips. APT has a great whitepaper on joule ratings and how they should be read and weighted when making a purchase.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
I'm not quite sure how you're rating the 'performance' on these two different power centers. Could you explain?

From what I can see, the "monster" has other features not included on the Tripp Lite such as the switched/timed outlets, which turns your equipment on in series. Also, the AV hookups for coax are low-loss circuits, so your signal will be minimally degraded.

On the technical side of things, the Monster has differing isolated filters for different applications.

The price is also comparable. You can easily find this unit for <$195 if you shop around.
Do not bull **** me with your monster crap, I have owned monster power products before and I do not think they are anything special. Open up your monster power product and you might be surprised by what you find inside. I wonder who we should trust monster power products or a world renowned power product company like tripp lite.

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
I’m having trouble understanding your anger (?) and how your anecdotal evidence adds to this conversation.

And in response, I have in fact seen the inner workings of the HTS3500 Mk II and the HTS2500 Mk II while researching for my purchase of the 3500. Circuit City and other Electronics retailrs usually carry models with clear plastic tops, so you're able to see into the unit.

The inside of the unit very closely resembles the block diagram included with the manual. I was actually suppressed in the simplicity of the circuit design, but it makes sense. You’re able to see the different isolated filters and circuit path clearly using colored wiring.

I guess you're right, they could have crammed all these components into a smaller form factor (power strip?), but personally, I like the fact that I have a component size power center. This allows me to put the power center along side my AV switch. This means -all- the cables from my components are going to a single physical location in my AV cabinet, making for much easier and cleaner wiring.

Care to clarify your reply? Or should we just file it under belligerent rambling?

Privateer said:
Do not bull **** me with your monster [snip]
I've warned you before privately. Your attitude is unacceptable. It is possible to educate and inform without being rude and mean. You have been banned for a week.

warhummer

warhummer

Junior Audioholic
The Hammer Hath Fallen

Looks like the smack-down has been unleashed... :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis