Triangle Galaxy 5.1 ??

Pipelayer

Pipelayer

Junior Audioholic
I have a vintage "Harmon Kardon 430" stereo amp; don't be fooled by its age and power rating, not sure what Harmon Kardon did to this thing but the quality of sound is astounding! And it kicks! I was going to get some "KEF IQ3" speakers (45Hz to 40 KHz), for it but I missed the window of opportunity to get them at a steal. My friend has a really nice set of speakers he wants to sell me at an under $400.00 price. The speakers are the "Triangle Galaxy 5.1". He said he bought them for around a couple of grand ($2000) but sometimes he exaggerates.

But I do know they sound really nice cause I heard them on his television. But I just need them for music on my Hardmon Kardon stereo amp. I like bass, I have never heard the full bass of this Galaxy unit because he never turned them up, he's never been a bass lover plus he claims it will upset the wife and wake the baby. I did, however, read on the internet where this unit (Triangle Galaxy 5.1) only has a frequency response of 100Hz to 20KHz. So I'm a little concerned about how nice the bass will sound. I don't really listen to much hiphop or rap so it doesn't have to shake the windows and the walls down the street. But I do like strong firm bass. Believe it or not the frequency response of the "Harmon Kardon 430" is a shocking 4Hz to 40KHz! So for that matter, how will the high-end of the Triangles sound with a 20Khz limitation ?

So my question is: Are these speakers really going to work at delivering me some nice quality sound with tight strong bass & crisp clean highs?

Also, I have a Vector Researh EQ hooked up that I sometimes use to shape the sound (MODEL IS VQ-115).

Thanks- :)

Last edited:
Pipelayer

Pipelayer

Junior Audioholic
Thanks !!!

Thanks a bunch Mazer, and so glad to meet you!! :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
A quick read on Audioreview.com shows them being a fairly high end company. If you can hear them and like them, why not?

SheepStar

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
So for that matter, how will the high-end of the Triangles sound with a 20Khz limitation ?
You'll have to listen to them to find out, mind you, the rating of 20kHz isn't a brick wall, they will have response above that. But it's possible for a speaker to have response to beyond 40kHz and still sound bad.
With that in mind, there isn't a great deal happening that high in the spectrum, in fact, most people don't have hearing range that high.
So my question is: Are these speakers really going to work at delivering me some nice quality sound with tight strong bass & crisp clean highs?
You will need to listen to them to know. Preferably in the room you plan to use them in.
Also, I have a Vector Researh EQ hooked up that I sometimes use to shape the sound (MODEL IS VQ-115).
Personally, I don't like using a graphic EQ, as they are generally too imprecise to use for dealing with room interaction issues. But, if you are using it to shape the sound, be careful of how much boost you add. :eek:

Pipelayer

Pipelayer

Junior Audioholic
Response from the TRIANGLE Representative.

Hey! Turns out that the subwoofer can drive lower than the stated frequency response!

Here is what the Triangle rep (Robert Thomas) emailed me:

Dear Sir,

The 100 to 20K is the satellite response.
20K in fact is already enough because most of the time the competitor
announces 40K or more but directivity is often less precise and provide a bad
soundstage.
One of the advantages to having an amplifier like yours with a frequency response so large is to have a flat phase response of the amplifier. Not really to provide sound outside the limits of human hearing.

The subwoofer is capable of 40 to 150 Hz.
Is a very dynamic small subwoofer, it's active with a built in 100 watt RMS amp.

The speakers are designed to offer good powerhandling, there is no problem
with your amplifier blowing them out because its frequency response is greater than their capability..

At triangle we have always designed very clear and dynamic sound for our
product. Galaxy 1 was a good product. The current system is the Galaxy 2

Best regards,
Triangle Team

Pipelayer

Pipelayer

Junior Audioholic
Yes, the whole system. :p

And yes again, you are right, they are a French Manufacturer, as a matter of a fact I had to edit some of their English in the email before I posted it here, there were just a few simple errors which are commmon in correspondance with individuals from another country.

Last edited:
Pipelayer

Pipelayer

Junior Audioholic
My friend changed his mind, he decided not to sell his "Trinagle Galaxy's 5.1" speakers. I did, however, find a new Triangle Galaxy 5.1 system on ebay for $399.00 !!

There is so little known about this speaker system in the US that I was the only bidder! Triangle is a French company but most foreigners and the choice few that know of them here is the US cherish them for their superb audio quality.

Here is a review on them by Mike Quinn, if you follow the link, the review starts on the 12th paragraph of the article.

Triangle Galaxy 5.1 surround speaker system

Written By
Mike Quinn

When I first heard the Triangle Galaxy 5.1 system ($1695/stands optional at $199/pair; www.triangle-fr.com) at the Consumer Electronics Show a year or so ago, I thought I was listening to the $5,000-plus speaker sitting next to it.

[snip]

http://jazztimes.com/reviews/audio_video_files/reviewDetail.cfm?ReviewID=26

Last edited by a moderator:
T

techguy

Audioholic Intern
wow you are so lucky... good stuff on the 399 system... it looks like it kicks ars!

i checked ebay and that one you bought was theonly one for sale for a while.

Pipelayer

Pipelayer

Junior Audioholic
wow you are so lucky... good stuff on the 399 system... it looks like it kicks ars!

i checked ebay and that one you bought was theonly one for sale for a while.
You right, I really could not believe my luck when I saw it, and then I checked the counts of which this listing had been visited, it was very low. So I new it was a good chance of me acquiring it cheap, but I never dreamed I would get it for the $399 orginal - no reserve - price it was posted with. I may have been the only bidder and got it for a measly $399, but I was willing to pay atleast $800 plus for such a reknowned & hi-end speaker system! I guess sometimes it truly is "what you know."

Sorry, I forgot to supply a link to the Triangle Galaxy 5.1 speaker system - here you go:
http://www.advanceaudio.com.au/products/speakers-systems-sound-system-home-entertainment-system-home-audio-australia-triangle-galaxy-5-1-system-/brid-49_prid-2050_prcaid-13

For some reason this photo only shows 4 satellite speakers but the system comes with 5 satellite speakers and one powered sub woofer, additional speakers are available for purchase on this unit. Have to say; these satellite speakers kick so well on the high and low end that the sub-woofer is not even necessary, but nevertheless desirable (especially for shaking the room and knocking the walls down!). I plan to purchase two more statellites and drive this speaker system with my newly purchased "Denon AVR-2808CI" receiver. I'll let you kown how it fares.

Are you one that has heard of this speaker system?

Last edited:
Pipelayer

Pipelayer

Junior Audioholic
http://www.triangle-fr.com/WD100AWP/WD100Awp.exe/CTX_10012-140-gaBSCuhyNA/gamme_Magellan/SYNC_-1145361356

I have seen those triangles before... the MAGELLAN concerto sw2 is one beautiful looking speaker... :)
Warpdrv, somehow your link lead me to an error page, I did, however, look up the Magellan speakers you mentioned, apparentely another Triangle Marvel !

Link to MAGELLAN Concerto SW2:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/SuperiorAudio/equipment/0207/triangle_magellan_concerto_sw2.htm

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis