Transcriptor Transcriber turntable

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Yes the hydraulic reference was used in the late Stanley Kubrick's 1971 classic A Clockwork Orange. When dad had the factory at 2 Theobald Street, Borehamwood (now the home of J A Michell), Stanley with his art director asked dad if he could borrow one for the film, dad gladly lent it him but never saw it again!!
That turntable ended up at Hollywood Sound Fla. for repair about 2 years ago. It got damaged touring shipping some how. The reason I know is, the owner of Hollywood Sound is a friend of mine.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Thats a beatiful piece of work. I'm so curious to hear what ity sounds like.
The nice way to put it is that it has a reputation for being pretty to look at. You can find not nice ways of putting it by a little online searching for comments on it. Just search for the words:

Transcriptor Transcriber turntable​

It is a collector's item because it is visually striking to look at, not because of its actual performance.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The nice way to put it is that it has a reputation for being pretty to look at. You can find not nice ways of putting it by a little online searching for comments on it. Just search for the words:

Transcriptor Transcriber turntable​

It is a collector's item because it is visually striking to look at, not because of its actual performance.
From what I've read about it, there seems to be two big problems with teh design. The tonearm rigidty was lacking thsu allowing vibrations to feeld through. The 2nd problem I've read is that it only supported 4% of an lp's surface area which did little to alleviate problems with vibration.

The turntable I want is this

F

felt_f4

Audiophyte
hi,
I've a damaged/ incomplete TRANSCRIPTOR TRANSCRIBER turntable. Are you still looking to sell the damaged one you have ? I could possibly make one good one out of the 2

I'm in Fife, Scotland

best regards
Graham

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
Well, I finally got the Transcriber hooked up. All I can say is why did I leave it in the box for 25 years. As far as I am concerned, it plays great. I am listening to vinyl that has not been out of the jackets for longer than I care to remember, it just sounds awsome. After listening to digital sources for so long, qualtiy analog just kicks butt. I was thinking of selling it a few years ago, now that I have it working, no way. This is too much fun!!

Right now I have it hooked up to the same Rotel RA-1312 amp that was used with the Transcriber when I first purchased it. I have it in my office, so not able to run it through my main system, speakers are a pair of Polk Audio bookshelves, not anything to rave about. But even with these speakers, these old alblums just sound fantastic. All I can say, is 30 year old equipment sure has aged well.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Very nice. Thanks for the pictures! I hope that you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of putting the images directly in here for people to see.

I had a friend who's kid sister had a turntable with the stylus mounted on the lid like that. It didn't look quite so nice.
Note: The wow n flutter and overall SQ is accurate.
[video=youtube;AAKZ-O70wNg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAKZ-O70wNg&feature=player_embedded[/video]
ClosePlay.JPG

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
HeeHee, I don't know, the red color is rather striking.

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
Why did I wait to long

I've probably gotten though 50 alblums so far, some of them a bit scratchy, but a majority of them are just fantastic. I listened to a few and I just stood in front of the system, never sat down. Man, have I been missing out for way too long.

S

salbagnac

Audiophyte
Hello to all,

I'm a new member and I 've been reading with great interest your conversations about the Transcriber turntable.

I have one fully operational but I can't get it working because I miss the tonearm counter weight.

Micheal Gammon who had to supply this to me doesn't answer to any of my multiple mail.

A friend of mine could make it for me but I don't know the dimensions of what looks like to be 2 cylinders on the pictures you made.

Could you please give me the different dimensions of these cylinders : diameter and height and if possible weight of each ?

I'm sure you can imagine my frustration of looking at it for more than one year without beeing able to use it...

Thank's for your help if you read that.

Best regards,

Serge

Last edited:
G

gib

Audioholic Intern
Serge,
Sorry about the delay in a response, I have not been to the site for a while. I did pull out the dial calipers and measured the 2 counter weights on the rear of the tone arm. I really can't help on the weight as I am not going to remove them, I also have no way to accurately weigh them.

The dimensions of the small weight is .492" in diameter, .2075" in thickness.

The larger one is .905" in diameter and .217" in thickness. I hope this helps you in your restoration project.

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
So I have been thinking about selling my Transcriber, spent this afternoon cleaning it up (really just some dusting), taking pictures, really getting ready to put it out for sale. Then I made the mistake of putting on some vinyl, something I had not done in a while. I am now listening to the 5th one and realizing how awsome it sounds. I know there were some comment earlier in the thread about the Transcriber not really playing that well, all I can say if you have never used of listened to one, whomever said it must have been listening to vinyl cleaned with sandpaper. Can't explain it, but listening to some Beethoven violin concerto's, and all I want to do is sit and listen more and more. Now I really don't know what I want to do, sell or listen.

What's a boy to do?????

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I have been thinking about selling my Transcriber, spent this afternoon cleaning it up (really just some dusting), taking pictures, really getting ready to put it out for sale. Then I made the mistake of putting on some vinyl, something I had not done in a while. I am now listening to the 5th one and realizing how awsome it sounds. I know there were some comment earlier in the thread about the Transcriber on really playing that well, all I can say if you have never used of listened to one, whomever said it must have been listening to vinyl cleaned with sandpaper. Can't explain it, but listening to some Beethoven violin concerto's, and all I want to do is sit and listen more and more. Now I really don't know what I want to do, sell or listen.

What's a boy to do?????
You keep it. It's a classic whatever the opinion is about its sound. You like it. As long as it stays working, it will appreciate in price better than the stock market, and certainly your savings account. If you sell it, you know you will always kick yourself.

Every time I look at the prices commanded by my classic LP equipment I just can't believe it. If it ends up being a bubble I don't care because I still enjoy listening to them and maintaining them.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Sometimes, the best trades are the ones you didn't make.

C

cellonut

Audiophyte
I once had one. Getting rid of it probably the hifi related decision I regret the most. It really shouldn't work, but did.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis