Tower Speakers: Front ported vs Rear ported

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Need clarity on ported vs non ported tower speakers, what's the benefits of the 2 while I do have the SVS Prime Towers rear ported in a dedicated 2 channel setup with SVS PB 2000 sub with a Denon 1912 for music and I do listen to and have all types of music with jazz being my pet.

Here's 2nd part; the knowledge and information along with the impeccable support here can't be matched. OK...here is and it's going to be a while before buy more audio...I believe:rolleyes:, Haven't decided yet on the Denon X4300 and the Marantz SR 7010, while eyeballing the Salk SoundScape 7F's which are front or rear ported. The room is 12' 6" x 17' 3" w/8ft ceiling closed w/2 windows, my music room.

Now let the counseling begin:eek:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There won't be any difference, especially since you are using subs. Port generated sound occurs at low frequencies which are mostly omnidirectional, ie human hearing can not tell where it is coming from. With subwoofers and a 80 Hz crossover point, the ports won't be doing much of anything, so it doesn't make a difference where the ports are on the cabinet.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
There won't be any difference, especially since you are using subs. Port generated sound occurs at low frequencies which are mostly omnidirectional, ie human hearing can not tell where it is coming from. With subwoofers and a 80 Hz crossover point, the ports won't be doing much of anything, so it doesn't make a difference where the ports are on the cabinet.
Thanks ShadyJ, I was over thinking this mattero_O but it's clear now.

Question...While I haven't heard any of Salks speakers due to internet purchasing but the reviews and comments that are given here provides trust and confidence in the product...with the room size given and leaning towards adding another sub along with the Salk SoundScape 7F's would that be a overkill?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Are you asking about ported vs non ported or rear ports vs front? Non ported speakers will be less efficient and have a higher f3, but will extend lower and roll off more gradually. Ported speakers extend deeper but have a steep roll off. At frequencies below the port tuning, the port stops behaving as a resonator and starts acting like a hole in the box, allowing large excursions of the woofer with a major impedance drop and greater power consumption. Everything below the tuning will be out of phase with the driver, which is the reason for the steep roll off. At very high volume ports can also make chuffing noises, although this is entirely dependant on the port diameter and design of the flare. Ported speakers use less power to produce bass around the f3 so long as they are not required to produce frequencies below the tuning.

Rear ported vs front ported makes little difference except for the fact rear ports shouldn't be too close to the wall or it could alter the tuning frequency of the port.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Not necessarily. It depends on what the port is tuned for. If it's tuned for 30hz and it's crossed over at 80hz, sure, the port won't matter. If it's tuned for 60hz then the port definitely will be producing some bass.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think your point is essentially correct. However I think most of us believe there is a slight advantage to front porting. The cabinet inverts the phase of the rear driver radiation, so cone and port are in phase. So by having the port in the vicinity of the driver is a little more synergistic than a rear port.

Rear porting is done if the port diameter is inadequate. Manufacturers are know to do this to hide the chuffing.

Often in a bookshelf there is no room on the front for the port.

I try and front port where possible and I do believe it carries a small advantage. So doing it this way gives the best phase coherence.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Rear ports, should they make or let out annoying noises (port chuffing and/or higher frequency components from the speaker), would be off axis and should be less audible. If you must place the speaker near the wall then a front ported speaker may be advantageous (but generally with rear ported you should be okay if you have a spacing from the wall of at least the port diameter). Generally and YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Are you asking about ported vs non ported or rear ports vs front? Non ported speakers will be less efficient and have a higher f3, but will extend lower and roll off more gradually. Ported speakers extend deeper but have a steep roll off. At frequencies below the port tuning, the port stops behaving as a resonator and starts acting like a hole in the box, allowing large excursions of the woofer with a major impedance drop and greater power consumption. Everything below the tuning will be out of phase with the driver, which is the reason for the steep roll off. At very high volume ports can also make chuffing noises, although this is entirely dependant on the port diameter and design of the flare. Ported speakers use less power to produce bass around the f3 so long as they are not required to produce frequencies below the tuning.

Rear ported vs front ported makes little difference except for the fact rear ports shouldn't be too close to the wall or it could alter the tuning frequency of the port.

Thanks, my question was front ports vs rear ports.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Thanks to all:), I definitely was under the impression that front vs rear ports made a difference in what you hear.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Sixty years ago, most speaker manufacturers were building and suggesting enclosures with port(s) located at the baffle, preferably at least 2 inches away from the woofer.

More recently, after numerous tests, experts concluded that the location of the ports did not matter, as such vents only operate at frequencies near that of the box tuned frequency, and that the wavelengths of those low frequencies were way out of the box dimensions. Consequently, phase problems should not either be a major factor in the overall performance. The only exceptions are that there should be a spacing of several inches between the vent and a wall or a floor. Also, a port should not be located right behind a woofer.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Sixty years ago, most speaker manufacturers were building and suggesting enclosures with port(s) located at the baffle, preferably at least 2 inches away from the woofer.

More recently, after numerous tests, experts concluded that the location of the ports did not matter, as such vents only operate at frequencies near that of the box tuned frequency, and that the wavelengths of those low frequencies were way out of the box dimensions. Consequently, phase problems should not either be a major factor in the overall performance. The only exceptions are that there should be a spacing of several inches between the vent and a wall or a floor. Also, a port should not be located right behind a woofer.
Phase problems shouldn't exist at all. Put a port in the front, and you'll get reflected sound from the cabinet, put a port in the back, and you'll get sound from the back of the driver, also keep in mind that at the port tuning frequency, there is very little driver excursion, the port is doing the majority of the work.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You will not get reflected sound from the box if you use ducts with an elbow or two and at least some damping material.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Need clarity on ported vs non ported tower speakers,… with SVS PB 2000
This question was already answered. No need for any further comment on ported vs non-ported, or on front port vs. rear port.
Here's 2nd part;… while eyeballing the Salk SoundScape 7F's which are front or rear ported. The room is 12' 6" x 17' 3" w/8ft ceiling closed w/2 windows, my music room.

Now let the counseling begin:eek:
I've heard the absolutely excellent SoundScape 8 speakers, but not the 7Fs. Are you thinking of them because of the smaller size and lower price than the SS8? Other reasons?

You should at least get a taste of the general quality of sound shared by all Salk and Dennis Murphy-designed speakers. I have Salk Veracity ST speakers. They are 2-way MTM speakers, at a lower price and a smaller footprint than the SS7F. They don't have the open back mid range, but they do go to a lower bass frequency, 34 Hz. Their bass abilities may or may not matter with your sub woofer.

Contact me if you want to hear them. I'm in Gaithersburg, MD.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think your point is essentially correct. However I think most of us believe there is a slight advantage to front porting. The cabinet inverts the phase of the rear driver radiation, so cone and port are in phase. So by having the port in the vicinity of the driver is a little more synergistic than a rear port.

Rear porting is done if the port diameter is inadequate. Manufacturers are know to do this to hide the chuffing.

Often in a bookshelf there is no room on the front for the port.

I try and front port where possible and I do believe it carries a small advantage. So doing it this way gives the best phase coherence.

My first foray into Home Theater was a Technics system including the Technic speakers below.
The strange thing about these as they had on eport in the back as well as the front.

Here's another pic with back port..

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
There is no difference in sound between front vs rear ported speakers unless you are going to place your speakers too close to wall. With front ported speakers you dont need to worry so much about speaker placement.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks ShadyJ, I was over thinking this mattero_O but it's clear now.
Question...While I haven't heard any of Salks speakers due to internet purchasing but the reviews and comments that are given here provides trust and confidence in the product...with the room size given and leaning towards adding another sub along with the Salk SoundScape 7F's would that be a overkill?
Diesel57
I just ordered a pair of Salk Songtowers. I have a small, but dedicated, listening space. Jim Salk chose these as the solution for solving the most problems in a small space. Just as an fyi since the port question has already been asked and answered, these are rear port design. I won't get to listen to them until they arrive in the April timeframe: but that won't stop me from occasionally mentioning them and feeling warm and fuzzy. I will try not to do it again. Today.........:)

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
This question was already answered. No need for any further comment on ported vs non-ported, or on front port vs. rear port.
I've heard the absolutely excellent SoundScape 8 speakers, but not the 7Fs. Are you thinking of them because of the smaller size and lower price than the SS8? Other reasons?

You should at least get a taste of the general quality of sound shared by all Salk and Dennis Murphy-designed speakers. I have Salk Veracity ST speakers. They are 2-way MTM speakers, at a lower price and a smaller footprint than the SS7F. They don't have the open back mid range, but they do go to a lower bass frequency, 34 Hz. Their bass abilities may or may not matter with your sub woofer.

Contact me if you want to hear them. I'm in Gaithersburg, MD.
Swerd, I greatly appreciate the offer and will definitely contact you, I've been away for a moment dealing with identity theft issues which we're close to resolving this matter. I totally agree with you on getting a earful of the Salk speakers.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Diesel57
I just ordered a pair of Salk Songtowers. I have a small, but dedicated, listening space. Jim Salk chose these as the solution for solving the most problems in a small space. Just as an fyi since the port question has already been asked and answered, these are rear port design. I won't get to listen to them until they arrive in the April timeframe: but that won't stop me from occasionally mentioning them and feeling warm and fuzzy. I will try not to do it again. Today.........:)
Congrats to you and when April arrives you're be reliving your childhood over again with those new toys...LOL

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
My first foray into Home Theater was a Technics system including the Technic speakers below.
The strange thing about these as they had on eport in the back as well as the front.

Here's another pic with back port..

So do you know what advantage the dual porting was purported to provide for the speakers?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis