Total Recall (2012)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm trying to figure out the point of your response. Your model wasn't listed. I'm glad it worked for you but it didn't for others. That's why I posted the work arounds because it does not work for others.
My model is the 83SE which uses the exact same firmware as the 83.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow. Apparently other Oppo owners with these models aren't so lucky.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mine was a rental copy from Redbox. Maybe the consumer discs have the problem?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
NY has a lower tax rate than another state? Is this the apocalypse?

You guys are a bad influence. I just ordered it. :D $5.39. I guess my tax rate is higher than yours.

I wasn't going to, but then I saw Kate Beckinsale on the cast, and I couldn't complete that order fast enough.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't see Jessica Biel was in it, too! :eek: I wonder if it's too late to switch to next day delivery. Darn the delays in their drone program!!!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I had found a work around for my Sony that seems to work flawlessly including chapter 9 which always skipped and locked up. In the Sony BluRay menu, go to Audio > BD Audio Settings > and changed that to Mix from Direct.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Watching Total Recall remake (2012) a few nights ago via the Sony BDP-S550 bluray and Onkyo TX SR-875 that was producing a hailstorm shower of drop-out more than the bullets being fired.

Odd thou first time I played film was in Dolby TrueHD a little over a year ago via Sony BDP-S550 to Yamaha AVR that powers other speakers in the kitchen. I was using the RCA 8 channel outputs to Yamaha external input and I didn't notice any drop-outs.

So I guess it must be to do with decoder via HDMI to AVR decoder Dolby TrueHD that is cursing the hiccups.

I've stripped out the RGB leads from 3 players bluray and HD-DVD and extra lead to make up x8 leads for the Sony BDP-S550 8ch output and set Sony BDP-S550 audio output to Multi-channel-Analogue.

BD audio still set as Direct.

Confirmed Chapter 9, 0:58:15 always triggers a drop-out via HDMI bitstrem to Onkyo TX-SR-875.

Now using Multich Direct on Onkyo TX-SR-875 Dolby TrueHD from Sony BDP-S550 own decoder no audio drop-outs.

So if any of you have bluray player with 8ch output get some RCA cables and connect up external inputs and switch player to multi-channel-analogue outputs.

I'll have to later on confirm if Phillips BDP7300 6ch output doesn't have the same issue as it was producing more drop-outs via HDMI bitstrem to Onkyo TX-SR875 in Dolby TrueHD more than Sony.

Right now enjoy the Stephen Hunter Flick, sound effects Dolby TrueHD in Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System, JBL, who did the original 1990 Total Recall.

Thou dtsHDMA is another issue I'm going to check if some of the offending dtsHDMA bit bombs produce issues via direct from player as they are most annoying of them all with sharp audio burst spikes that trip out the AVR due to volume being set high and normally if set really low when searching forwards/backwards on scenes and when resuming it send out that nasty bit-bomb-spike! I'll report later on that when I try Elysium (2013) dtsHDMA 7.1.

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Elysium (2013) dtsHDMA 7.1 handles well now without the bit bombardment raining down every time I search forwards/backwards. Seems like snag is with HDMI to AVR decoder?

Anyone have any simple thoughts on as to the why it messes up on the AVR is it the chip on AVR is prone to these issues?

Either way I'll make note of the dodgy films that play fine though Sony BDP-S550 own decoder and others I might like to switch setting on Sony back to HDMI to AVR decoder.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis