W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
Hi all! Anyone here has any comments on Toshiba CRTs? I have heard in the past that they make a decent product but was never able to get one prior to now. I was looking to get a a flat screen unit a few years back but the model recommended was never available. Then I moved and decided to stick with one TV. I now have a much larger entertainment area and have taken the plunge into the home theatre sea. While I am initially amazed at the equipment I chose (HK 330 and Pioneer DV 653A), I know that I will probably be upgrading soon.

Watching movies on my 27inch JVC unit is not as great as it used to be now that it is further across the room. I did some looking around and liked a Sony model as well as a Toshiba, both 34inch widescreen. The Sony however is going to be a tight squeeze for my AV rack so I opted for the Toshiba as the size suits the rack just fine. I am curious as to any info anyone may have on Toshibas. I have always had JVC units but was not too impressed with their widescreen offerings. The model in question is the Toshiba 34HFX84, it is HD ready and as I don't have digital cable and don't plan to until their are enough HD stations online, I will be fine.

On a whole, how are Toshiba TVs? Anything to be aware of, look out for or keep in mind? Howdo they hold up? How good do they perform. TVs are usually just ok however, I have seen some great pictures lately and want to experience a bit more with my DVDs, I will deal with the HD issue down the road.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
I've had the same 32" Toshiba TV for several years. The only problem I've encountered is when my Monster cable tore the jacks out of the rear faceplate... but that's no big deal...

Mine has component inputs (Toshiba calls it ColorStream) and brings forth color, brightness, and black levels as amazing as any interlaced SDTV I've ever seen. That's all the input I can provide.

W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
Thanks! Mine should be here tomorrow, I will take some time to learn about it and see how it looks.

W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
Great Picture

I have to admit that this thing looks great! My first test was Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, I noticed a lot more depth and color than I ever saw before from that DVD. I remember wanting that DVD after I saw the movie because it was so stunning, now I am happy to be able to display it with this set. I do notice that not every DVD looks much better on it and I jumped th gun and got an HD cable box. Wow, the HD channels look fantastic!

I am loving the look of this thing! I may very well watch all my DVDs again just to see how they look with this set. Anyone else out there got one of these? I would like to know experiences and tweaks if there are any. Now I am thinking of finding a higher quality DVD player to see how much I can coax out of this set! I may have to wait to see how many more equipmment will be out with the new HDMI connector. I wonder if that makes much of a difference.

H

Hammie

I have the Toshiba 34HFX84 and LOVE IT!!! I think the picture quality is superb. I got the DVE calibration DVD and it made a big difference. I also upgrade from S-Video to Component Video cables to my DVD player. I do not have HDTV yet but will connect it to my tv via a DVI-to-HDMI cable.

W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
DVE Calibration DVD

Where does one get ahold of the DVE calibration DVD? I know that after the unit was initially set, I tried to adjust it a bit for another DVD and silly me, did not write down the settings. So now I am not getting that great look as when it was first setup. What settings are you using for yours? I think you can change them all but I want to set one for all the settings and then not mess with it or at least have it written down someplace in case someone else messes with it.

U

Unregistered

I got both AVIA and DVE from amazon.com. Alot of a/v retailers stock it. Even Wal-mart has it listed on its website (although I couldn't find one in store and that is why I bought from Amazon).

cam

cam

Audioholic
How far is your viewing distance with this 34 inch toshiba. Everytime I go to an electronic store I start drooling over the picture from the 34. My viewing distance is about 11.5 feet and I think for that reason I may go for a 46 or 51 inch toshiba RPTV. I'm not all that thrilled with the projection tv's though.

W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
Around 16 feet. I am going to do some experimentation with how my HT room is laid out. I am trying to get the most out of the room.

U

Unregistered

We really enjoy our 34hfx84. A relative has the 34hfx83 but it has the speakers on the side and wouldn't fit our cabinet. The 34hfx84 has speakers under the screen which reduces its width to just over 35"
I don't claim to be an audiophile but the sound fom the built-in speakers is outstanding, with great bass. Gives me the feeling we have several external speakers placed several feet from the set.
The color and picture are very good right out of the box with no convergence problems that I can see.
If you have space restrictions the 34HFX84 is just the ticket as far as I'm concerned. And it has all the high end features and connections that should keep it from becoming obsolete overnight.

D

Dweeb

Enthusiast
ive got the 30hfx84.. and i love it.. ive only had it about ooooooo 7 hours but from what i can gather its awesome.

W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
I have to say, it is a nice picture. I remember when it was first brought in and connected, it looked so nice. I know I messed up the initial settings that the guys set in the unit before they left. I have been trying to tune it using the THX tuning guide I found on the Star Wars DVD however, I seem to not be getting it right. I need to figure a way to get it back to that beautiful picture it had.

D

Da5id

Audiophyte
Correct dimension

Unregistered said:
We really enjoy our 34hfx84. A relative has the 34hfx83 but it has the speakers on the side and wouldn't fit our cabinet. The 34hfx84 has speakers under the screen which reduces its width to just over 35"
I don't claim to be an audiophile but the sound fom the built-in speakers is outstanding, with great bass. Gives me the feeling we have several external speakers placed several feet from the set.
The color and picture are very good right out of the box with no convergence problems that I can see.
If you have space restrictions the 34HFX84 is just the ticket as far as I'm concerned. And it has all the high end features and connections that should keep it from becoming obsolete overnight.

33-5/8" wide

J

JP_Silver_S2k

Audioholic Intern
both are very nice pieces. if i had a choice I'd go with the Sony cause I like the SDTV Scalers on the TV.. but thats my choice; the best way to deicde is to find a store that has both TV's on display, bring in a few movies, and decide by comparison

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis