Tornado in my neighborhood

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Treacherous weather yesterday evening. This video was taken in a neighborhood about half a mile from my house.

[video=youtube;b7KM28chL14]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7KM28chL14[/video]

I'd been keeping an eye on the Doppler weather maps a few hours before this hit. It was a fast moving cell with a pronounced hook on the northwestern edge. The closer it got, the less pronounced the hook, so I thought it had degraded. Not so.

Our local weather guys did a good job zooming into pixel-level areas of the system, showing a red pixel next to a light green, indicating a profound change in a small area and favorable conditions for a tornado. It was crazy when that feature appeared in my community. Stuff like that just never happens. My family and I huddled into an interior bathroom, streaming the news on my mobile phone after a few brown-outs convinced us to leave the television off.

The wind blew the swings on our back yard swingset up as high as they could stretch, and it scooted my grill and patio furniture a bit, but we encountered no damage thankfully. But in that neighborhood, there were several trees snapped in half and a few roofs missing shingles. A barn was completely dismantled.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I hope you and family are away from harm. There was alot of lightning in my area last night. All these recent events take me aback.:(

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hopefully it doesn't get serious in your area. That's pretty crazy.

Definitely unusual weather this year. Humid here in northern CA where it normally isn't, though it we do get this "El Nino" pattern with regularity (5-10 years?). We're in the middle of a drought yet have rain in July, which is quite rare. Even where I live farther up north where humidity is usually quite low, it was humid last week. Not Houston humid, but for here, odd. Seems like it will be a wet winter and it will come early.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Meh. No cows?

:D Glad you and yours are doing okay. The person in that video was pretty brave/stupid to still stay out there around 55 seconds-ish when the wind changed course like that.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Wow Rojo! Glad you and your family are/were safe.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Sorry, no cows. But this does put me in the mood to watch Twister again. I'm also excited to see that new tornado movie coming out next month. What's it called?

Anyway, today is sunny with a cool breeze going on and the air feels like late October. It feels like there should be a football game going on somewhere.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thankfully a small one. I remember watching the Moore tornado live over the internet of course. I've only seen a small one in person.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
That movie has the potential to be awesome in Imax 3D and Atmos.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis