torn on DVD player decision

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
I am really torn about a dvd player right now..

I just picked up a samsung 4061 display today (24 mo, 0% financing, wohoo!) and am trying to decide whether to go with an Oppo and wait out the hd/br storm, or get a hd player (I have a couple HD DVD titles now) which will upconvert regular dvd's as well (like the oppo's) and at least play one of the high def formats. :confused:

I *really* don't want to drop $400 on a player, especially considering how murky the future of this technology is. Any thoughts between the Oppo 981, an HD player such as the HD-A20/30, or just getting the cheaper HD-A2 and letting the tv deinterlace the 1080i signal to it's 1080p native res?

I feel like tweak from south park trying to figure this out.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
My two cents (take it for what it's worth): get an HD DVD player or a combo player. Hey, you already have a couple HD DVDs, right? You may as well play them. If you're feeling reluctant to get into hi-def machines, then just buy an inexpensive $200 HD DVD player. That way, you haven't shelled out too much dough, and you can enjoy your hi-def discs.

If sometime in the future you feel more secure about the HD DVD world, you can spring for a better player, and continue to enjoy your HD DVDs and regular DVDs. If the time comes that you're not jazzed on HD DVD, then you can at least say that you didn't spend a whole ton of money, but still got to enjoy the benefits at the time.

While the Oppo is a great player, it ain't gonna do squat with your HD DVDs, so why not buy a player that will play them?

cheers,
supervij

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
Good point..

So would you venture to say it'd be worth it to pay for the 1080p player (which ever model) over the HD-A2? I wouldn't mind 720 res, but my tv is 1080p so it's going to scale it to that one way or the other (right?)

If you're wondering why I bought a 1080 display if I'm unsure about a hi def player, I'm also using it as a monitor :)

Thanks for the input

S

SamW

Enthusiast
Don't get overly sold on all the hype.

I *really* don't want to drop $400 on a player, especially considering how murky the future of this technology is. Any thoughts between the Oppo 981, an HD player such as the HD-A20/30, or just getting the cheaper HD-A2 and letting the tv deinterlace the 1080i signal to it's 1080p native res?
I've said it before, I'll say it again...the image difference between an upconverted 1080i and a Blu Ray or an HD DVD is nearly impossible to see. It's not nearly the quantum leap difference between HD and Non HD. In fact...no one in my family, nor any visitor to my house seems to be able to tell the difference (as I have them all to compare).

SO, my two cents - get what you feel comfortable spending...don't get caught up in the hype as I think much of it is overblown. I think the real value prices on HD DVD and Blu Ray are still ahead of us.

That said...for people who are wanting to spend the premium to be earlier into the game I recommend Blu Ray. For no other reason than they have more movies to choose from. I've found my HD DVD player gets used 90% of the time on regular DVDs as I rarely find the movie I want in an HD DVD format.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I second the recommendation to go for an HD-DVD player. I did just that because it was either that or an upconverting DVD player to go with my projector. I have an HD-A2.

From what I've read (though have not seen in person) the 1080p output of the HD-A20 isn't terribly good, not worth the extra cost. You would probably have to step up to The XA2 to make 1080p worth it.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
the image difference between an upconverted 1080i and a Blu Ray or an HD DVD is nearly impossible to see.
LOL, where can I get what you are smoking.:p

From that quote, I am guessing 'upconverted' you mean a standard DVD, has no discernable difference in image quality compared to BD and HD DVD.

WOW, I would say that you need to check your TV (or projector), and or get a full 1080p TV.

Are you not getting the near 3D look from your HD material?

The difference is night and day, 80% of the time (will depend on the quality of the transfer)

Heck, I see a difference when I watch HDTV compared to a great quality HD DVD or BD.
Example, watch Planet Earth on Discovery Channel HD, then watch the HD DVD or BD version.
If you can not see a difference, then I would say have a ISF calibrator over, to check your setup.

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
LOL, where can I get what you are smoking.:p

From that quote, I am guessing 'upconverted' you mean a standard DVD, has no discernable difference in image quality compared to BD and HD DVD.

WOW, I would say that you need to check your TV (or projector), and or get a full 1080p TV.

Are you not getting the near 3D look from your HD material?

The difference is night and day, 80% of the time (will depend on the quality of the transfer)

Heck, I see a difference when I watch HDTV compared to a great quality HD DVD or BD.
Example, watch Planet Earth on Discovery Channel HD, then watch the HD DVD or BD version.
If you can not see a difference, then I would say have a ISF calibrator over, to check your setup.
I am guessing he meant between a 1080i signal from the HD-A2 and the 1080p of another player.. I dunno though..

Thanks for the input, I think I may try and jump on best buy's deal of the HD-A2 plus 7 titles..

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
My reason for suggesting buying an HD DVD player was that you already own a couple HD DVDs. If you're trying to decide between a player that outputs 1080i and one that does 1080p, don't worry about it too much. You won't see much (if any) difference between the two.

Here's another option: sell your HD DVDs, get an Oppo, and wait for the format war to get to a point where you're okay with jumping in.

cheers,
supervij

S

SamW

Enthusiast
It's not the setup.

I have a 1080p TV...a 61inch TV...am running HDMI cables and have done ALL the diagnostics. What I mean is the upconverted DVD image (from a good upconversion) may be slightly worse than a true 1080p image, but the improvement to the 1080p may not be worth the increased cost. As far as a 1080i image from any great source...satellite / HD DVD or other compared to a 1080p image - if you have the same TV running the same movie the difference is imperceptable to most people.

In fact, I imagine if you did a "blinded" test similar to what Pepsi did with coke MOST people couldn't tell you which image is which.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis