Top 25 Audiophile Speakers of all time!

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If only they mentioned how they measured "Performance
no doubt measured by how many bottles of cheap wine they drank during the test... I say back up these results with real numbers, not some pretty piece of MDF/wood/plastic setting there.... Show me the numbers

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No one source could give us a more "credible" list, but I think perhaps Stereophile or Home Theater Magazine or Soundstage may be our best bet?:D

I wonder if these magazines have such an updated list?:D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Recently, I believe sound and vision had an article on companies/speakers that they classify as high end. However, the majority of the list was companies that advertise with them...lol

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
No one source could give us a more "credible" list, but I think perhaps Stereophile or Home Theater Magazine or Soundstage may be our best bet?:D

I wonder if these magazines have such an updated list?:D
Maybe some rag/mag should put a complete list together with all the accurate speakers that measure well enough to be Dream Speakers maybe +/-3 or less for on-axis, and categorize them into price ranges for towers, centers, etc.

So many Mfg's. and so little time to analyze them let alone hear them all... :eek:

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe some rag/mag should put a complete list together with all the accurate speakers that measure well enough to be Dream Speakers maybe +/-3 or less for on-axis, and categorize them into price ranges for towers, centers, etc.

So many Mfg's. and so little time to analyze them let alone hear them all... :eek:
An on-axis measurement doesn't tell you really much of anything IMO. It won't even give you a good idea of what to expect sitting on-axis because what you hear is both direct and reflected sound. A LOT of speakers will fall within that spec with the right mic placement (center). Even problematic speakers that suffer from severe off-axis problems like lobing or acoustical interference can look like an amazing speaker with a single on-axis measurement.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Geez, coming in here w/in the next couple of days... Sure hope they make the Top 25 list next year. :)

Love the Cherry, and Curvilinear Enclosure design -- hopefully they will sound as good as they look. :D

Noticed today, they have the same curves on their enclosures as the Paradigm Signature S6/S8's do, but NO Screws showing on the Driver flanges.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Geez, coming in here w/in the next couple of days... Sure hope they make the Top 25 list next year. :)

Love the Cherry, and Curvilinear Enclosure design -- hopefully they will sound as good as they look. :D

Noticed today, they have the same curves on their enclosures as the Paradigm Signature S6/S8's do, but NO Screws showing on the Driver flanges.
Can they measure those screws' effects on the sound quality?:D

Won't they cause some diffraction?:D

Hey, wait a minute, my Orions have some screws on them too.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief

Actually, if the screws are not recessed, their effects can be measured. :)

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
The Klipschhorns at No. 42 would have been one of my picks for the top 25. I always liked those.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
An on-axis measurement doesn't tell you really much of anything IMO. It won't even give you a good idea of what to expect sitting on-axis because what you hear is both direct and reflected sound.
That depends if the speakers are near field monitors or not. If you sit inside the area of the first reflection points, you are listening near field. There are speakers designed specifically for near field listening. How they differ from regular speakers I don't know.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
No measurements to back up their list? :rolleyes: Yeah that's accurate.. I think I'll pass.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic

CSChang thinks those screws matter, well guess what there are no screw heads showing on the VGT's driver flanges at all.

And look at your Orions they have screw heads on them, so that says Linkwitz knows his stuff !! CSChang, might want to address that issue w/ Linkwitz and get the diffraction issue solved once and for all! :)

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
OK good, my Orion have recessed screws.:D
As I am sure they do. Any well respected designer/engineer will specify recessed screws.

CSChang thinks those screws matter, well guess what there are no screw heads showing on the VGT's driver flanges at all.

And look at your Orions they have screw heads on them, so that says Linkwitz knows his stuff !! CSChang, might want to address that issue w/ Linkwitz and get the diffraction issue solved once and for all! :)
I am saying the if the screws are not recessed...not if they are showing.

It is measurable..but does it make a difference? That is for the listener to determine.

How are the drivers held in place on the Aperions?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Gotta hand it to Jerry, he created a list of companies he wanted to solicit advertising from and sent each of them awards for making their top 25 list. Their is no objective parameters to their ratings for their list but it sure looks impressive scrolling on their website. :D
LOL! I'd say you nailed it.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
No measurements to back up their list? :rolleyes: Yeah that's accurate.. I think I'll pass.
I totally agree, w/o Measured Plots that are Ruler Flat I would not even consider them at all.

As when they drop out at 15kHz. you will lose that "Airyness" effect Guaranteed, and when they come across with +/-5dB forget them.

So how do the Paradigm S6 and S8's come in vs. the Salk HT2-TL's?

It is seeming to me, you need to spend around $4k-$6k to get some "Ultimate Audiophile" front mains, am I wrong?

I do not think $2K for a pair of fronts will get you there?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis